When did 30mph become too fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Talking about statistics... Bernard Hogan-Howe, the former Met police commissioner, said in an interview last week that part of the gradual decline in fatal stabbings in London during his tenure was simply due to improvements in urgent medicin and first aid, and not due to an actual reduction in the number of knife crimes.

Statistics show there were less pedestrian deaths when no speed limits were in force, therefore should we simply do away with speed limits altogether?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Rubbish. Back in 1934, just prior to the introduction of the 30mph speed limit in the UK, there were only around one-tenth of the cars on the road today, but four times as many associated deaths.

I must be missing the point.
The point is "Statistics" that people seem to take seriously and rely on are nonsensical as they can be manipulated to suit whoever is presenting them as my point shows...

The point is "Statistics" that people seem to take seriously and rely on are nonsensical as they can be manipulated to suit whoever is presenting them as my point shows...

Statistics are indeed manipulated to make a point, but it’s essential that those statistics are correct or the manipulator risks making a fool of himself.

Reactions: 219
Statistics are indeed manipulated to make a point, but it’s essential that those statistics are correct or the manipulator risks making a fool of himself.
Anyone who relies on or believes in Statistics is making a fool of themselves..

You’re right to infer that we need to defend ourselves against fraudulent claims wrapped up as statistics. But just as important as detecting the deceptive use of statistics is the appreciation of the proper use of statistics. With intelligence we can recognise statistical evidence that justifiably supports a stated conclusion. Statistics are all around us, sometimes used well, sometimes not. We all really need to learn how to distinguish the two cases. Intelligent consumers of statistical claims can do this.

We need hard facts upon which to draw our own conclusions rather than statistics from dubiously funded Statisticians.

After all, someone will survive a collision with a car at 20mph, but they'd survive even more if they bother to look and NOT step into the path of an oncoming vehicle.

In the interests of balance, it should be pointed out that a pedestrian might 'survive even more' if the driver bothered to look at the road and not radio / sat nav / phone / passengers

Ah statistics, if I put my right hand in a bucket of molten lead and my left hand in a bucket of dry ice

It could be said on average I am comfortable :D

Statistically speaking statistics can be made up and manipulated to anybody’s benefit, statisticians often take back handers to statistically benefit whoever is on the blag. Independent Statistics show around 50% of statisticians are corrupt. Which is a rise of 48% since the last statistics report was published.

So in conclusion 0% of my point is serious, and 100% is taking the p1ss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

90% of statistics on the internet are wrong, the other 35% are made up.

Statistics are fairly fundamental to all our lives one way or another.

So the seatbelt, ABS, and airbags in your car - are there because of statistics. There has been a push to get ESP (or its non-MB equivalent) standardised in cars - again a push based on statistics.

The problem is really mis-presentation or subjective and selective interpretion - particularly where there is strong personal or political advocacy involved.

So in the USA we hear - "guns don't kill, people do". Well you could argue that from the statistics. On the other hand it does seem that the *combination* of a person and a gun is the primary problem - not one or other in isolation. So ban people or guns and you get an improvement - given the choice people are going to be more vocal about being banned than guns.

Statistics are fairly fundamental to all our lives one way or another.

So the seatbelt, ABS, and airbags in your car - are there because of statistics. There has been a push to get ESP (or its non-MB equivalent) standardised in cars - again a push based on statistics.

The problem is really mis-presentation or subjective and selective interpretion - particularly where there is strong personal or political advocacy involved.

So in the USA we hear - "guns don't kill, people do". Well you could argue that from the statistics. On the other hand it does seem that the *combination* of a person and a gun is the primary problem - not one or other in isolation. So ban people or guns and you get an improvement - given the choice people are going to be more vocal about being banned than guns.

The Telegraph is carrying an article showing that pedestrians are becoming blasé when wandering about in some 20MPH zones and the figures are showing that there are more accidents.

Here

Car drivers are so careful about pedestrians and cyclists these days meaning the latter think less about their own safety.

I'm becoming concerned that some nervous car drives are reluctant to overtake a cyclist without more than a full cars width of space available. On busy roads this is turning cyclists in the biggest cause of congestion and pollution. Now I understand the reasoning that a cyclist may suddenly swerve so needs some room but the same cyclist seems able overtake you with only inches to spare.

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom