When ebay goes wrong.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
peter103 said:
If I give you the cost of the compressor, when can I collect the lawnmower?

I suspect the lawnmower is the better deal.

Jeez. This is pissing me off.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Unfortunately, Ebay are moving in a direction that all Retailers will try to copy soon enough, bacause they are so profitable.

Automate everything, run-down your human staff to as little as possible (or zero ideally) and deal with all disputes by software (in a very black and white manner, nearly always innapropriately).

For the majority of transactions, it works ok with no human intervention, but on occasions like this it's incredibly frustrating.

All I can say is "watch out consumers", this business model is comming your way!

Ebay isn't a retailer, it's a platform open to all to sell (& buy) products.

Blaming ebay when something goes wrong is like blaming Autotrader when you've bought a car with a problem.

We returned home tonight having (as agreed with the supplier to leave it on our front porch) it had been moved to completely block our front door. We could not get around it. Eventually myself an my wife manage to drag it, so we could get I the house. Seller says TNT could not collect as it is too heavy. So we are stuck with it now over Christmas. My health stops me moving it very far (fractured spine in two places). How do I stand (no pun intended) now. I want my money back.

Bruce,

Ignore all advice here (however well meant it is frequently wrong) & open an Item isn't as described dispute.
Online Customer Service

Follow their guidelines exactly as they tell you to.

neilrr said:
Bruce, Ignore all advice here (however well meant it is frequently wrong) & open an Item isn't as described dispute. Online Customer Service Follow their guidelines exactly as they tell you to.

Neil

I have done exactly that. eBay say that they WILL refund my money on the 26th December regardless of item being returned or not.

I am not so confident that this will happen and have stated that to eBay? Why? The seller is absolutely adamant they will not refund without having their goods returned and inspected.

How long am I supposed to entertain this stalemate. I am not delaying or obstructing collection for over two weeks now?

Neil

I have done exactly that. eBay say that they WILL refund my money on the 26th December regardless of item being returned or not.

I am not so confident that this will happen and have stated that to eBay? Why? The seller is absolutely adamant they will not refund without having their goods returned and inspected.

How long am I supposed to entertain this stalemate. I am not delaying or obstructing collection for over two weeks now?

eBay will refund you, I had similar happen to me and the money was in my account when eBay said it would be.

Even if they don't refund (which I doubt), you can do nothing in the next two days anyway, so let them do what they say and take stock on the 27th, so don't sweat it.

Neil

I am not so confident that this will happen and have stated that to eBay?

Surely December the 27th is the time to worry about that, not now.

If ebay said you will be refunded, you will be refunded.

Last edited:
Isn't the next business day 29th Dec?

On another note...

It is common practice for sellers to offer refund only after goods have been received back.

Sadly it is also common for things to go wrong when collection is arranged.

But from my experience.... it can be very frustrating, but eventually they do collect and they do refund.

(Or you might even get refunded sooned by eBay/PayPal)

Blaming ebay when something goes wrong is like blaming Autotrader when you've bought a car with a problem.

No it's not.

Ebay are self-appointed arbitrators and in the event of a dispute will carry out a non-investigation before usually finding in favour of the buyer. They also remove the money from a seller's Paypal account whilst a dispute is on going and if insufficient funds exist they will make free and easy with money from the bank account to which the Paypal account is linked.

If they are going to act in this way it is incumbent on them to behave in a professional and efficient manner. Unfortunately, their offshore, low pay resolution centre staff often find this to be beyond their abilities.

While all that ^^^^ may be true how does any of it make a problem with a particular transaction ebay's fault?

While all that ^^^^ may be true how does any of it make a problem with a particular transaction ebay's fault?

It doesn't. But since they appoint themselves as arbitrators in the event of a problem, they should ensure that they act properly if they are going to stick their nose in.

Yeah, that's all great but you & I are talking about different things here.

I was referring to post 14.

BTW, I've had problems with buyers & sellers & have sorted them out to my satisfaction every time. Knowing the rules & following Ebay's procedures make it all pretty straightforward, IME.

Unfortunately, Ebay are moving in a direction that all Retailers will try to copy soon enough, bacause they are so profitable.

Automate everything, run-down your human staff to as little as possible (or zero ideally) and deal with all disputes by software (in a very black and white manner, nearly always innapropriately).

For the majority of transactions, it works ok with no human intervention, but on occasions like this it's incredibly frustrating.

All I can say is "watch out consumers", this business model is comming your way!

eBay's specific department dealing with arbitration and cases is based in Manila (Philippines) it's partially automated already and the default situation is the customer is refunded unless the seller provides a very specific set of facts that qualifies them for seller protection.

When you sign up with eBay as a business seller you agree to their terms and conditions which whilst they don't override the current consumer laws and the new version of distance selling regulations (the name of which escapes me at the moment) they are applied in addition. Namely you don't actually have to return an item to be refunded if there's a complete failure by the seller.

This format lends itself to abuse much like Amazon Marketplace, which is why it's one of the safest places to shop online. It's a pain for seller though.

eBay is 5% of annual turnover by value, yet it accounts for 85% of our "item not received" cases. The other 15% being Amazon. These numbers speak for themselves.

Our direct sales and website sales run without a hitch.

Yeah, that's all great but you & I are talking about different things here.

I was referring to post 14.

BTW, I've had problems with buyers & sellers & have sorted them out to my satisfaction every time. Knowing the rules & following Ebay's procedures make it all pretty straightforward, IME.

I think we are talking about the same thing. Ebay is fine when a transaction goes smoothly and when a problem does occur it's always better if the buyer and seller can resolve things themselves.

But as post 14 highlights, when Ebay become involved in dispute resolution their behaviour is often illogical, their customer service is often poor, their "investigation" is often non-existent and their decision is often unfair.

Guys To be clear. I am annoyed with the seller and their inability to: 1). Deliver the goods they sold me. 2). Collect what they did deliver in a timely manner and refund me in a timely manner. I believe that two weeks to collect a package is unreasonable and eBay agree. In this instance eBay gave the seller an additional 5 day window to arrange collection. Making a total of three weeks before giving a refund that is three weeks that the seller has held onto my money and blocked my hallway with something I never asked for eBay sell a service so are obligated to deliver on complaints. In this instance I believe they have given the seller plenty of time to rectify this In context: I could call Paisley freight and get a next day collection. It appears that the seller can't do this but is still happy to hold onto my money. I offered the seller this route and the declined saying their carrier TNT would collect. Four different dates have been accepted with a no show on all four and us waiting in all day four times.

Last edited:
FYI. The lawnmower seems to sell for £300. So three times the price of the refund I am due.

FYI. The lawnmower seems to sell for £300. So three times the price of the refund I am due.

I'll tell yer what I'll do. I'll give yer a ton and I'm robbing meself, I swear to yer Guv'ner.

Scott , the deals been done, see #20 yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom