When I was 9 / Spotify ect .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
When I was 9 my music of choice was Bananarama / Bucks Fizz and if I was feeling particularly adventurous maybe Survivor or Journey. Imagine my surprise going into Daughter 2's (age 9 going on 30) room to hear this playing...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kwAnoECBMQIQ&usg=AOvVaw3UZLrDVWphyo6_925ie7LZ

Checked her Spotify playlist and found these as well sandwiched in between the inevitable Katie Perry and the like..

Nancy Sinatra , Boots
Frankie Valli, Can't take my eyes off you
Fleetwood Mac, The Chain
Stiltskin, Inside
World Party, Ship of Fools
Various Queen, Led Zep and Who records
Dusty Springfield, Son of a Preacher Man.
Many more etc etc etc.

I quizzed her as to where she found out about them. Most songs she had heard on films and TV shows and liked them. She googled them and then found on spotify and added to her list.

To say I was amazed and frankly quite proud.

Right up until that moment I was quite sad about the demise of the record / CDs / record shop but if the new delivery methods allow the next generation to sample and enjoy previous classics that they otherwise wouldn't be exposed to, bring it on I say !

Thoughts :)

That’s awesome mate.

Amazing when the young ones enjoy our era of music. Like a connection between us and them.

Our daughter (14) has recently found a love of 80’s/90’s music. Oasis being top of the list. Which in itself warms my heart as I’m a Manc born n bread and their music evokes great memories for me.

That’s awesome mate.

Amazing when the young ones enjoy our era of music. Like a connection between us and them.

Our daughter (14) has recently found a love of 80’s/90’s music. Oasis being top of the list. Which in itself warms my heart as I’m a Manc born n bread and their music evokes great memories for me.
My parents originate from Eccles and Swinton. :thumb:

Fleetwood Mac, The Chain

:cool:

Guardians of the Galaxy !

That’s awesome mate.

Fantastic. I haven't been able to bring the Daughters round to Oasis yet but my eldest has discovered the delights of the Stone Roses and Primal Scream so mustn't grumble :)

Also the modern world is soo much better than before. If I get Daughter 1 (age 12)into a classic rock song she takes herself off to her room with my guitar or her keyboard and 2 hours later she's down having learnt a riff from the web. I had piano lessons for 4 years and learnt jack £hit, she has taught herself more on the guitar and keyboard with lessons from the web that actually interest her than I ever did.

You can imagine my surprise when the first thing she learnt was the ice cream man riff (the iron man one , Google it) as I'd never heard it before , very funny !!!

Daughter 1 favourite band at the moment is Hall and Oates, strangely, not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Although her all time favourite song is SL2 on a Ragga tip, bugger knows where she got that one from !

You're all missing out on the best music, late 60's and 70's.
Beatles
Rolling stones
Hollies
Jerry and Pacemakers
Tamla Motown
Clapton in his various guises (Cream etc)
Santana (Abraxus, what an album!)
Moody Blues

I have a superb set of CD's from Time Life, Sounds of the 60's, about 15 double CD's, just wish I still had a decent record deck for what's lurking under the eaves!

Beatles
Rolling stones
Hollies
Jerry and Pacemakers
Tamla Motown
Moody Blues

I have a superb set of CD's from Time Life, Sounds of the 60's, about 15 double CD's, just wish I still had a decent record deck for what's lurking under the eaves!

Not bad, not bad at all :thumb:

One of there best:

Tusk with the marching band

Beatles
Rolling stones
Hollies
Jerry and Pacemakers
Tamla Motown
Moody Blues

I saw most of them live in their relatively early days. I didn’t see Santana until about 20 years ago (Supernatural).

Beatles
Rolling stones
Hollies
Jerry and Pacemakers
Tamla Motown
Moody Blues

But that’s subjective. Maybe a generation too far for our youngsters?

I enjoyed the Beatles, my parent's fav.
Now my daughter is enjoying Oasis (and the likes) her parents fav.

we (Wife & I) also indulge and enjoy today’s music (our daughters fav). I think people who say: ‘today’s music is sh!te, they don’t make em like they used to!!!’ Are deluded.

There’s good and bad in every era. Look at those you listed, all awesome , but, there was lots of sh!t around in that era too.

Beatles
Rolling stones
Hollies
Jerry and Pacemakers
Tamla Motown
Moody Blues

You forgot The Shadows :D
I agree the sixties and seventies were great for music, I find a lot of modern stuff sounds to similar, each group had their own sound back then. We play lots of that sort of stuff for the Care Homes we visit, though not at the moment, as Basil Fawlty would say "gigs are off"

I'm thinking about doing an instrumental concert for the neighbours at the weekend using some backing tracks, They can sit in their front gardens and listen whilst keeping social distancing, might help the community spirit.

You forgot The Shadows :D
I agree the sixties and seventies were great for music, I find a lot of modern stuff sounds to similar, each group had their own sound back then. We play lots of that sort of stuff for the Care Homes we visit, though not at the moment, as Basil Fawlty would say "gigs are off"

I'm thinking about doing an instrumental concert for the neighbours at the weekend using some backing tracks, They can sit in their front gardens and listen whilst keeping social distancing, might help the community spirit.

But you’re all looking at this through your very own Rose Tinted Specs. Because the music you remember evokes great memories.
The kids of today will view current music exactly the same when they are our age.

The greats will always be remembered by their audience regardless of era

One of there best:

Tusk with the marching band
Sorry to say , but that's one FM track that I hate with a passion .

Dreams was one of my favourites .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom