When I was 9 / Spotify ect .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These days , more into the golden age of romance , my mum played stuff like this while I was growing up , both records , and on the piano .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When I was 9 my music of choice was Bananarama / Bucks Fizz and if I was feeling particularly adventurous maybe Survivor or Journey. Imagine my surprise going into Daughter 2's (age 9 going on 30) room to hear this playing...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dcLlq_DXpY8&ved=2ahUKEwj44YCyxsroAhV6Q0EAHbYrAnUQyCkwAnoECBMQIQ&usg=AOvVaw3UZLrDVWphyo6_925ie7LZ

Checked her Spotify playlist and found these as well sandwiched in between the inevitable Katie Perry and the like..

Nancy Sinatra , Boots
Frankie Valli, Can't take my eyes off you
Fleetwood Mac, The Chain
Stiltskin, Inside
World Party, Ship of Fools
Various Queen, Led Zep and Who records
Dusty Springfield, Son of a Preacher Man.
Many more etc etc etc.

I quizzed her as to where she found out about them. Most songs she had heard on films and TV shows and liked them. She googled them and then found on spotify and added to her list.

To say I was amazed and frankly quite proud.

Right up until that moment I was quite sad about the demise of the record / CDs / record shop but if the new delivery methods allow the next generation to sample and enjoy previous classics that they otherwise wouldn't be exposed to, bring it on I say !

Thoughts :)

A lot of the music that I enjoy today was played by my parents as I was growing up in the 50s and 60s and I know that my son used to help himself to my CDs when he was in his teens.

I was never that big into music - growing up in Africa, we were more occupied doing outdoor stuff - however, I was just saying to my wife that I do miss the old vinyl. Sitting on the floor flipping through the collection, finding the record, out of sleeve, wipe with cleaner, onto turntable, select track, stylus on and listen.....something about the process..........

I saw a programme yesterday where different age groups were competing in various skills (playing a record was a clue in an escape room) and the 20 somethings didn't know wether to put the stylus in the middle or the outer edge of the LP. Was quite amusing.

Something else that’s fascinating about listening to music from different eras is the huge difference in recording and production techniques.

The simplicity and openness of some of the 1950‘s and early 1960's two-track recordings made in a single take contrasts dramatically with the much more dense and sometimes very contrived productions of more recent years.

Reactions: 219
Something else that’s fascinating about listening to music from different eras is the huge difference in recording and production techniques.

The simplicity and openness of some of the 1950‘s and early 1960's two-track recordings made in a single take contrasts dramatically with the much more dense and sometimes very contrived productions of more recent years.

More modern but along the same lines, David Bowie, Heros, gives me goose bumps every time I hear it. The recording quality is £hite but it's that that makes it special. If it was recorded now it really wouldn't be the same.

and....they knew how to sing - their voices were the star of the show - not the accompanying music....

My daughter is 14 and she grew up listening to all sorts of music due to us owning a pool bar in Skiathos. We had the music on from 9am until we closed at 2,3 or even 4.
I caught her recently listening to Eminem and Madness!!

She hates The Beatles and Level 42 which are my favourites.

My daughter is 14 and she grew up listening to all sorts of music due to us owning a pool bar in Skiathos. We had the music on from 9am until we closed at 2,3 or even 4.
I caught her recently listening to Eminem and Madness!!

You both got great taste. We love all 4 artists you list. :thumb:

She will eventually grow up and her taste wil mature ....

meantime

and just to follow up , completely unrelated

On the above note we really enjoyed Coldplay’s CarPool. :thumb:

Reactions: 219
I work with a diverse age range of people and it's surprising how many of those who are now in the 20s and early 30s that wish they were born earlier as they missed a lot of stuff they like from the 80s and 90s and that modern music is shyte (to which I have to agree).

That really surprises me as I always presumed youngsters would like whatever is out now.

As said, modern methods of music delivery make it easy to find all sorts.

When I was in my very early 20s, I had to scour CD fairs to find the music I wanted which I didn't have.

I grew up listening to the radio from around the very late 70s onwards but heard and still like a lot of what my parents played from the 60s and 70s.

I do miss the whole experience of playing music from being a youngster. Everything I have is ripped now but back then there was something enjoyable about buying a new record, listening to it when you got home and reading the sleeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom