When is a Jam sandwich not a jam sandwich

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
found this pic while wandering around the web and it bought back sooooo many memories so I thought I would see if it did the same for you guys and girls.
imgp0230_878.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like they've banged up a couple of dodgy geezers in the boot - the back's riding pretty low.

996jimbo said:
Looks like they've banged up a couple of dodgy geezers in the boot - the back's riding pretty low.

Or maybe the suspensions knackered from too many high speed chases. Lovely shape the SD1, but not exactly top notch quality.

The photo brings back happy memories of my youth though.

My old man had an ex police SD1.

It had been a Met car in London for a few years, then was sold at auction. The buyer then clocked it from 98K to 65K and then sold it to my dad. The only way we found out was when the copper who used to drive it rang up one evening to see how his 'old' car was. To cut a long story short, the local Trading Standards got onto the seller, and he was given a 12 month suspended sentence, plus a shedload of compensation to unsuspecting owners who had bought low mileage Rovers and Metros from him!

The only problem with the car (aside from acres of wiring no longer used) was a rather erratic speedo, caused by the clocking. A new sender unit in the gearbox fixed this - cost around £20. After that it was as good as gold.

Our family ran it until it had over 140K** on the clock, and loved every minute of it. Rust was never an issue (really!), and whilst it was only a 2600S, the engine was plenty powerful enough - it would cruise at 90 all day long.

Being ex police, it had self levelling rear dampers, and uprated brakes, from the Vitesse. The Rover computer recognised this so parts ordering was never an issue. Additionally, it was serviced regardless of cost, and was in very, very good condition when dad bought it.

It was sold on as it was starting to burn oil, although a top end rebuild would probably have seen to that as it was valve stem seals.

A great car. I unofficially learnt to drive in it, and then was on the insurance until I moved out of my parents.

** that was 140K, PLUS the "missing" miles. Rough guesstimate was the true mileage was around 175 - 180K.

Ah - that takes me back. I had a 3500 SD1 for a while when I was 19 or 20. Nice big car, nice sound to engine. Autobox used to change up very early. The worst part was the brakes. They would fade to nothing quite easily, and the pads only lasted a few thousand miles.

What's it got to do with jam sandwiches...

I saw an Austin 1100 the other day :D!!! :bannana:

remember Bodie and Doyle....I do, i have the dvd set.....

brings back memories from when i was too young to remember

wallingd said:

normally i would entertain that quiestion with a reply :devil:

wallingd said:

Oh really!!!!!! tut, tut :D :D
White, red, white = Bread, jam, bread.

:) Must we do all the thinking :)

Greg240 said:
The only way we found out was when the copper who used to drive it rang up one evening to see how his 'old' car was....

No wonder there is now stricter controls regarding use of the Police National Computer. That officer must have been merely one of quite literaaly dozens that would have driven that specific car?

John the grump

Anyone remember the 15 second sketch on "Alas Smith & Jones"? Really battered police SD1 pulls into the car park - bits hanging off all over the place. Inspector to driver "what happened to your patrol car constable?!" Driver "er .. it fell down the stairs sir".

I went to Eastbourne fairly often on business in the late 70s / early 80s ... used to see an MGB GT in full "jam sandwich" livery on the A22 from time to time.

wallingd said:
What's it got to do with jam sandwiches....
About the same as this has to do with pork rolls....

No offence intended to anyone :)

Obviously it did offend although I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Steg said:

Good morning Steg,
We do have serving Police Officers that frequent this forum and yes, I take offence although I am NOT a serving officer. Hopefully we can both remove our posts??

Regards,
John

Edit
Thank you for at least removing the image, but it does sadden me that you cannot see why it 'might' offend.

Why not simply send your remarks along with the picture to the families of the occupants??

Last edited:
Steg said:

Obviously it did offend although I'm not sure why.

And who would you call if you car was stolen? Sorry, but I think this "humour" is purile!

glojo said:
Oh really!!!!!! tut, tut :D :D
White, red, white = Bread, jam, bread.

:) Must we do all the thinking :)

Yes :D

<after about 15 centuries> oh I get it now.................... :rolleyes: ²

Not sure if its been posted before but this is nice:-

Last edited:
There used to be "flying jam sandwiches" as well ... the Met. had two helis (Bell 222s IIRC) registered G-META and G-METB, in the same livery as the cars.

I was working at colt cars (Mitsubishi) in 2004, and they had an evo (whatever the version was) - front half normal colours, rear half police colours. - never saw it on the road though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom