When is Low too Low !!??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gibsonk

Car
Mercedes
I am trying to decide if my car is just a bit too low, it has H&R super sport springs, originally that was fine but i recently added Koni Sport Dampers and Original Mercedes 5mm rear spring pads.

I cant help feeling its a little bit too low now, the front seems fine but the rear just looks a bit off to me.

I don't have any rubbing issues and handling is great, although large speed humps catch it out a bit, got to hit them at a angle.

p.s. Excuse my dirty wheels and the carbon mirror covers are going very soon i really don't like them, just my originals had a accident, they're a bit chavvy...

The rake does look wrong. Historically the rear should be +10mm compared to the front. If the rear is down like it is the CG and what's called the polar centre moment of inertia is retarded and although the car may feel like it's handling well it could be better.

The rake does look wrong. Historically the rear should be +10mm compared to the front. If the rear is down like it is the CG and what's called the polar centre moment of inertia is retarded and although the car may feel like it's handling well it could be better.

Thanks for the reply, I am going to replace the rear spring pads to lift it a little.

I have measured from the road to the top of the arch the fronts are 620mm and rears 605mm, while i am sure that's not the correct way to do it, it gives me an idea of what i am working with.

I can replace the rear pads, currently 5mm with 20mm pads bringing the rear up to 625mm, hopefully that gets me where i want to be.

I have found when pushing on if the surface is uneven or poor it can skip a little on the rear, i guess this is in line with your assessment !?

What's the alignment like ?

I had it done just before the dampers went in as i had a 800 mile trip to drive, the front wasn't too bad and rear adjustment is limited on these.

However, the dampers have only been in a few days and i need to get it realigned. I have four new Eagle F1 tyres due to be fit on Wednesday so will get it redone then as a temp fix.

Then i need to get Camber bolts on all four corners to align it properly once i fit the larger spring pads to the rear.

If i remember i will get a print out of the alignment on Wednesday when the tyres are done.

There isn't any camber bolts for the rear sadly. Historically you can afford more rear camber on lowering coils because the rate will be higher, meaning the dynamics will be less fluid.

My immediate concern is the damper stroke. Fitting pads is fine assuming the after market dampers have enough droop.

There isn't any camber bolts for the rear sadly. Historically you can afford more rear camber on lowering coils because the rate will be higher, meaning the dynamics will be less fluid.

My immediate concern is the damper stroke. Fitting pads is fine assuming the after market dampers have enough droop.[/QUOTE

I had understood there are bolts for all corners, my local Indy had quoted me £15 for the bolts for each corner, however, i don't actually know and i may have misunderstood them (its not hard to confuse me) , I will always listen to those who know more than me.

I have fit the larger pads today, i may have not articulated it correctly previously, the larger pads are what was in the car before the springs and dampers had been changed, i fit the smaller pads myself under advice.

After putting the originals back in i am approximately 615mm in each corner from the floor to top of the arch and it looks much better.

As for the Dampers they actually have a longer stroke than the original Mercedes ones that came out, but also seem a bit softer, not what i expected i thought they would be a shorter stroke and harder, driving they certainly don't seem any softer, body roll is better contained but comfort is also pretty good, certainly no worse than before.

I may be imagining it but turnin seems sharper since putting the original pads back in, this may be with today being the first time i have driven in the wet since the new dampers, or i could be imagining it...

Lesson learnt , all the lower uprated spring manufacturers don't talk about having to mess with spring pads and you'll be messing up the final developed products dynamics .

Lesson learnt , all the lower uprated spring manufacturers don't talk about having to mess with spring pads and you'll be messing up the final developed products dynamics .

Agreed, Mercedes certainly know better than me about this stuff, we live and learn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom