When not to register a new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marque

Car
S211 E220 CDI Avantgarde (2006/55)
I'm buying SWMBO a new MINI. (She was adamant!) It will be ready for Christmas Eve. However, because I'm a tight bar-steward, I was thinking that I should have it registered in early January to improve its eventual resale value. Also, we're away between Christmas and New Year and it would just sit on the drive anyway.

The dealer really doesn't want this - they have quarterly targets to meet. Perhaps if I 'forget' to set up the insurance cover note in time then they'll have to wait until we return, but that could backfire. Advice?

We bought a pair of VW Golfs for Christmas Eve delivery 5 years ago as presents to each other - what a bloody mistake that was.

Road Tax, insurance and annual servicing at this time of year on both cars.

Got the Merc in June :)

Bah Humbug.

The dealer has the sale already. Almost all new MINIs are built to order and I ordered it in mid-November with a 6-8 week delivery estimate. I was hoping that there'd be some production delays, but they must have rushed it through.

VAT increase next year

Surely delaying your insurance wouldnt work,they could just take the firms policy to tax it.

The TWO WEEKS difference will make absolutely no difference when it come time to sell it on..................It will still be a "59" plate

The TWO WEEKS difference will make absolutely no difference when it come time to sell it on..................It will still be a "59" plate

Thats not what I was told by two dealers yesterday. They value them as 09/59 and 10/59 in this case.
Thats why the 07/57 Navara I saw yesterday was cheaper than the 08/57 one (iirc)

You can pay for it in 2009 and have it registered and collected in 2010. Everyone is happy then surely.

The only new car I've ever bought was parked in the dealer forecourt for ~1 week to wait for the new registration numbers to come out.

I think a lot of buys don't see beyond the year and registration so it's important to get it right.

Agree with Wemorgan and Bald Guy. It's your choice not the dealers. Tell him you will pay for it now but it's to be registered Jan 2010.

I tried this with merc 2 weeks ago, offered to pay 100% of the cost on del to dealership on 1/12/09 but register in Jan 10. Dealer would not budge, nor would MBUK. Said it was nothing to do with targets as they had already reached theirs this yr. They even offered my £5k deposit back to me. Incidentally it was a e350 coupe, managed to get 4% off list, so I'm guessing they could afford to be picky as they knew they would be able to sell it tomorrow at that price

Incidentally nothing to do with change in vat either, since for various reasons the purchase was not subject to vat

VAT increase next year

Not if it's fully paid in December. ;)

It will still be a "59" plate

It's being first registered on a private plate.

I think I might try a compromise: have it registered on 31 December but delivered in January. At least then I can say it was done to avoid the VAT increase!

Would the VAT man say this car was registered after 1st Jan therefore 17.5% VAT due? I don't know just asking as the increase in VAT is the point here.

What if all dealers who sold a car in January told the VAT man these cars were paid for in December and pocketed the 2.5% VAT? Makes a point that VAT could be charged at the rate applicable on the date of registration.

Just a thought.

Pay for the car when it arrives, it's then yours. Transport to your home on a transporter etc and YOU go and register it when YOU want to, be it 2009 or 2010.

I tried this with merc 2 weeks ago, offered to pay 100% of the cost on del to dealership on 1/12/09 but register in Jan 10. Dealer would not budge, nor would MBUK. Said it was nothing to do with targets as they had already reached theirs this yr. They even offered my £5k deposit back to me.

What was their explanation - if the car didn't need to be registered to meet targets then the story doesn't make any sense.

Surely delaying your insurance wouldnt work,they could just take the firms policy to tax it.

They can still register the car anyway. They only need insurance cert to tax it.

Another thought.

You paid for the car and took it home on a low loader unregistered and parked it in your garage until 2010. Now when you come to register the car they have no proof the car has not been modified in some way. Therefore a full inspection by a DVLA approved engineer would have be required, lots of paperwork all at your expense. Probably delaying the registration as much as possible because you did not conform to the standard method of car purchasing.

What if it was damaged or stolen? No insurance cover.
Could it have any effect on the warrantee?

Just playing devils advocate.

I don't think buying a car and taking it home is quite as straightforward as buying say a television.

Another thought.

You paid for the car and took it home on a low loader unregistered and parked it in your garage until 2010. Now when you come to register the car they have no proof the car has not been modified in some way. Therefore a full inspection by a DVLA approved engineer would have be required, lots of paperwork all at your expense. Probably delaying the registration as much as possible because you did not conform to the standard method of car purchasing.

What if it was damaged or stolen? No insurance cover.
Could it have any effect on the warrantee?

Just playing devils advocate.

I don't think buying a car and taking it home is quite as straightforward as buying say a television.

It is, or it should be, a vehicle does NOT need to be registered if it is not used on public highways, insurance could be a problem though, although anything can be insured if you are willing to pay the premium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom