When right is wrong and wrong is right ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
On the A13 heading eastbound to join the M25 you come off at the M25 - Dartford crossing round-a-bout. The road is clearly marked in each lane. The right hand lane ONLY being marked "M25 South".

M25 South being the way I am heading that is the lane I use. So why is it that every other person heading in my direction takes the lanes marked for Blue-water then heads onto the M25 South leaving me stuck in the lane that now reads A13 London. If you try and use the M25 South Lane to go south it is almost impossible to do so.

Last night. I thought this will be good ? here comes plod in his marked car. He duly came down the slip road pulled into my left the "blue-water" lane then proceeded to drive around the outside of me onto the M25 Doh...

Being a complete pedant here. Would the Police take the view that I am in the right or wrong if I get hit when using the clearly marked lane that I want to use. Or should I give up have an easy life and just cut people up?

Last edited:
Probably worth writing to the council roads department responsible for that piece of road and asking for an explanation .

And a letter to the relevant Chief Constable regarding driving standards of his Officers. It was always the rule that a Traffic Officers driving should be beyond reproach, but unfortunately standards get lowered to allow quotas to be filled!

A bit like the Highways Agency Traffic Womble 4X4 I encountered last week on the A1 near Wetherby.

The road was relatively empty, but he was sauntering along at about 60mph - in the (surprise surprise) middle lane. What a shining example to everyone. Muppet! :wallbash:

I have a roundabout on my way to work which has a left filter to go to a supermarket.

The left filter is separated from the the roundabout by a white crosshatched markings and a bollard but it is possible to re-join the roundabout again after all those but you are then turning right using the exit for those already on the roundabout to go to this supermarket.

A month ago, I start to pull on to this roundabout to discover some nob jockey trying to pull where the NS of my car is doing said 're-join manouvre'.

Police Dog Unit....

:doh:

Perhaps an emergency?

No, just tootles along behind me and gradually gets further back until he turns into the local plod headquarters.

Not sure whether it's changed recently, but looking on Google Maps, it seems that of the three lanes on the roundabout itself, both the middle and right-most are marked for the M25 south after the point where the slip road from the A13 eastbound joins the roundabout, so that would suggest to me that either of the approach lanes you've mentioned could be legitimately used.

Must admit that I also sometimes use a less intuitive lane when approaching a roundabout (not sure whether it's actually a matter of right and wrong) if I judge that I can get into the correct lane on the roundabout itself more quickly than a car occupying the more obvious choice of lane (if that makes sense...).

I get a similar thing near where I live heading to my local supermarket.. 2 lanes on the roundabout, exit 3 to supermarket (out of 4 exits), sign clearly shows exit 3 as being past 12 O'clock. 90% of people stay in left lane all the way around to exit 3. People even undertake assuming you're going to exit 4! There aren't any lane markings on the roundabout and one lane on to it so am I getting it wrong or are the other 90% getting it wrong?? I'm really not sure anymore. :dk:

What do you guys think?

On the A13 heading eastbound to join the M25 you come off at the M25 - Dartford crossing round-a-bout. The road is clearly marked in each lane. The right hand lane ONLY being marked "M25 South".

M25 South being the way I am heading that is the lane I use. So why is it that every other person heading in my direction takes the lanes marked for Blue-water then heads onto the M25 South leaving me stuck in the lane that now reads A13 London. If you try and use the M25 South Lane to go south it is almost impossible to do so.

Last night. I thought this will be good ? here comes plod in his marked car. He duly came down the slip road pulled into my left the "blue-water" lane then proceeded to drive around the outside of me onto the M25 Doh...

Being a complete pedant here. Would the Police take the view that I am in the right or wrong if I get hit when using the clearly marked lane that I want to use. Or should I give up have an easy life and just cut people up?

Well this is my neck of the woods so I think It's only fair I comment. From memory the A13 East bound off slip to M25 is 2 lanes, nearside is ahead and left and offside is ahead and right.

The roundabout itself from the ATS of A13 East changes to 3 lanes once past the M25 south offlsip, 1 is ahead only (bluewater) 2nd is ahead and right (M25 south and A13) 3rd is right only (A13).

Of course as soon as have past an offslip the lane priority changes, eg once past Bluewater offslip lane 1 becomes ahead only for Thurrock services.

If your in a dedicated lane and in a collision with another vehicle due to the poor positioning of the 3rd party (and they admit that) then their most likely to be held accountable.

One of these days I will "forget" to emergency brake when someone cuts me up on a round about.

The police are far too busy with other matters to worry about lane discipline.

Speedo Calibration. - UKPOLICEONLINE Discussion Forum

I especially like posts 9 & 12.

I just posted a thread on this before seeing this thread previously started, i didn't realise it was becoming such a bloody common occurrence. Maybe shocking is too strong a word, but it's a bad day when you're in danger of being slammed into a hedge by a negligent cop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom