When Should Dry/Cracked Hoses Be Replaced?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ericycle

Car
W203 C200 CDI (OM646)
Hi Guys,

I was taking a closer look at some of the hoses today and some look cracked, and feel hard/dry. I sent the pics to my mechanic, saying we should probably replace them next time we do some work. He replied that it's only external cracks, and if they are not leaking, they do not need to be replaced.

I'm sharing the pics, to hear another opinion. The guy is pretty experienced but I'm not sure, could there be another reason why he'd rather not do this seemingly very quick and easy replacement?

First is this, it has very small, shallow cracks:

xuKovZE.jpg

gE3cPVk.jpg

This one has a deep dent:

NMwX6SA.jpg

And the last one, on the filter looks and feels the worst:
uhJPtCa.jpg

Perhaps his comment was more to do with your convenience, that is, to replace them whenever you were next in the workshop, rather than make a special trip?

I'm sure he would be happy to replace them any time you wished him to...

He's very experienced you say.

So, if I, a non mechanic, disagreed with him and told you to get it done asap...what would you do?

It depends massively on what the fluids carry. If it's hydraulic fluid, then it's a high priority, if it's washer fluid, less so. In your case, engine oil, if it's not leaking/wet, then it's not going to catastrophically fail so get it done when it's next convenient time and money wise.

As above, though.

Maybe because he's actually honest and wants to save you money by not replacing something when it isn't needed?

Maybe because it will save you a trip?

We get cracked feet, doesn't mean our internals are going to be leaked from within

Or maybe because there's nothing wrong and if he changes them he knows you'll be back every six months to get them changed, for free, because they keep cracking.

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

Now to clarify a few things. I sent him the pics today, because he will be working on the car this weekend anyway, and I thought since he will already be working on it, we could use this opportunity to do what appears to me, as very cheap, easy and fast preventative maintenance. So it's not about saving me a trip anywhere. And he said outright: "no need to change them if they aren't leaking, even when they look like that".

Secondly, the guy is quite experienced, he has worked for several years in a dealership Mercedes garage and knows these cars very well. And I know he's never really looking to do anything he deems unnecessary.

I trust him well enough, but there were a few things he did that make me doubt him as well. I also know he's not real big on preventative maintenance, or strict about using the exact fluids and stuff like that. That's why I wanted to get another opinion and see what you guys think.

How old is the car? Are the hoses original? They are certainly starting to degrade and it would be best to renew them.

How old is the car? Are the hoses original? They are certainly starting to degrade and it would be best to renew them.

It's a 2006 C200, with over 340 thousand miles. The one on the filter looks like an original MB hose, but I have no way of knowing if it was ever replaced, and that one looks like it is in a really bad shape. Should I insist he replace it?

Could it be a hassle to replace or to get the right kind of replacement hose or something else causing him not to want to do it? He will be doing the work in his backyard, not a garage, if that matters...

That's a good mileage and I think I would be getting them replaced. It does no harm and, personally, I would not want to wait until they started leaking.

If they are still supple there isn't much to worry about (provided they aren't 'bagging'). Hard and brittle is the concern - along with the pressure and fire hazard as alluded to.

340,000 miles?! I'd replace them out of respect for the thing!

Seriously though, at that mileage, it'd come down to economics, i.e, the likelihood something terminal might happen soon, so I'd inspect many more things to gauge the overall health, compression, etc.

If any engine coolant hoses are involved --- £12 for a hose or £600 for a cylinder head gasket?

Does anyone know if these hoses are available on eBay, and how do I determine what replacement hose is suitable in each instance?

Does anyone know if these hoses are available on eBay, and how do I determine what replacement hose is suitable in each instance?

Have you searched Ebay yet?

Just go down to your local MB dealer parts counter with your VIN/chassis number and explain what you are after. They should be able to print out a series of images of the fuel,aircon, autogearbox, and engine/heater coolant hoses which should help you identify exactly which hoses you require [ impossible to say without seeing the car] ---armed with that and the part nos should allow you to replace the critical ones.

Personally, I would definitely change the ones with deep abrasions on, (they are already structurally compromised, and will let go - usually at night, in the rain after dark in the middle of nowhere :) )then as mentioned above any hydraulic hoses, brake flexi hoses, (safety) and coolant hoses which are degrading, (avoiding a head gasket failure)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom