When should you stop driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine is 77, has vascular dementia, is type 2 as well (though the weight is coming off) and still wants to keep his license

He has had issues, mild heart attacks and really cannot remember what we talked about yesterday.
Wrote to his GP, nothing
Contacted the hospital who had him in from the paramedics, nothing

He doesn't drive much, but likes to have the Jag on the drive for when he needs it

Brother and I are going to see him together soon, but he won't accept it until he crashes I fear....
And I know he's not alone in Torbay
I do keep an extra pair of wits around me when I drive there.....

My granddad only chucked in the towel this year at 96.

Was still an able driver but felt it was the right time.

I do see a lot of bumblefck driving from plenty of different types of people but the elderly make up their fair share.

I also agree with compulsory re-testing and perhaps a medical alongside it every x years (5 or less).

When your clutch control makes the car sound like an EMF defector on a ghost hunt in a switch cupboard

I think this chap is still driving ok

7574943.jpg

Considering the Topic from the OP!

Spooky Coincidence???

Sir Stirling Moss: test drivers over 70

My uncle in his 80s had a couple of bumps so his kids took the key for the car away from him. He simply just got the spare key and off again. The kids had a discussion and came up with the perfect answer. They went to the scrap yard got another key. So that the next time my uncle tried to start the car, it was a no go. So he gave up.

My father past away earlier this year at the age of 88.

He was a professional driver for all of his working life.

The only road traffic accident he was ever involved in, occurred many years ago when he was a passanger on a bus.......

He stopped driving voluntarily 2 years ago.

He was of (very) sound mind up to his last day, and had very good eye sight. He did have mobility issues but his driving was always safe and I would even go as far as to say it was impeccable.

I suppose it differs greatly from one person to another.

He was very lucky to have been able to keep his independence and keep driving up to the age that he did. I can only hope I will be as lucky.

A car is a very obvious physical symbol of independence. For those of advancing age, giving up the car can be a nightmare scenario, it's a strong flag that things are changing for the worse, and it can be traumatic even to think about it, and raising the subject can often end up in tears.

But there is a safety issue. If someone has random bouts of dementia, or is just generally senile, a card is a very dangerous weapon.

Thankfully my mother never learned to drive, because she was an extremely strong-willed person, and it would have been nigh impossible for anyone to take her car away, when her dementia made it unsafe for her to drive, because when she was lucient, she was the boss.

Often, people come to the realisation themselves that they aren't up to the task. But for those that won't make that decision, or don't see the necessity, then convincing/forcing the right decision is one of those awful tasks that is the duty of a son or daughter or nearest relative, a task that in the fullest of time your parent might well understand, but for some, they might never.

B**ger, I just sounded like some flipping agony aunt.

Last edited:
The greatest virtue of that would be the prevention of bad habits - eg, indicating after brake lights (I want advance notification of intent, not the equivalent of a postcard that arrives once you are home).

Most people don't know how to drive properly. The brake then indicate habit happens with about 98% of drivers I see. Very rare to see the indicator come on first.

Most people don't know how to drive properly. The brake then indicate habit happens with about 98% of drivers I see. Very rare to see the indicator come on first.

They were at least capable at the time they sat their test of indicating correctly!
Periodic re-testing might just be enough incentive to maintain the habit. And put an end to the ''I don't think I could pass my test again if I had to''. WTF kind of admission is that?

They were at least capable at the time they sat their test of indicating correctly!

I think it is just words that they rote learn and don't mentally link the theory with the practical side . Like learning the times table without knowing how to do multiplication.

Periodic re-testing might just be enough incentive to maintain the habit. And put an end to the ''I don't think I could pass my test again if I had to''. WTF kind of admission is that?
When I passed my test everyone said that's now when I learn to drive.

There's no skill any longer but simply adherence to the rules.

Well this question always provides a few lively posts,we all know that young drivers have more accidents than the older drivers,what I feel as I am what woud be called a older driver is that we will soon need to tighten up on eyesight,and medical conditions,and say from around 74 or so there should be a small driving test every say 3 years,a examiner would come to your home and you will drive him around local roads for 20 mins,this has to come because as time goes on we will have more older drivers on the road as we are living longer.
Today around here I was faced with that old Astra driven by either a mad old women or a man,I have been too busy avoiding this driver to say what sex they are,the same place as last time Abbott Road,long straight road I was about 200yds from the t junction at the top of this road when the said car entered it on what looked like two wheels taking that corner at around 40 mph and then it headed for me right in the middle of the road,I drove onto the pavement using a drop kerb.

Well this question always provides a few lively posts,we all know that young drivers have more accidents than the older drivers,what I feel as I am what woud be called a older driver is that we will soon need to tighten up on eyesight,and medical conditions,and say from around 74 or so there should be a small driving test every say 3 years,a examiner would come to your home and you will drive him around local roads for 20 mins,this has to come because as time goes on we will have more older drivers on the road as we are living longer.
Today around here I was faced with that old Astra driven by either a mad old women or a man,I have been too busy avoiding this driver to say what sex they are,the same place as last time Abbott Road,long straight road I was about 200yds from the t junction at the top of this road when the said car entered it on what looked like two wheels taking that corner at around 40 mph and then it headed for me right in the middle of the road,I drove onto the pavement using a drop kerb.
Ah, the Abbot Road Astra loony. Legend.

I think it is just words that they rote learn and don't mentally link the theory with the practical side . Like learning the times table without knowing how to do multiplication.

But they are physical actions - mirror, signal, manoeuvre. Something akin to 'muscle memory' should be present. More usefully, an understanding of the value of signalling to others should be present. Are they so numb as to not be responsive to the signalling of others?

When I passed my test everyone said that's now when I learn to drive.

There's no skill any longer but simply adherence to the rules.

I'd concur with your first sentence. The road still needs to be 'read' as it ever did. And recognising hazards cannot reasonably be taught in a pre-test environment. That comes with experience.

But they are physical actions - mirror, signal, manoeuvre. Something akin to 'muscle memory' should be present. More usefully, an understanding of the value of signalling to others should be present. Are they so numb as to not be responsive to the signalling of others?
I'd concur with your first sentence. The road still needs to be 'read' as it ever did. And recognising hazards cannot reasonably be taught in a pre-test environment. That comes with experience.

No, they learn the theory (rote fashion - like a nursery rhyme) then do practical without ever linking the two (practical and theory) in their brains & then get their drivers and are so situationally unaware that they do not know what other are doing themselves or what they are doing to others. Next time you are out for a drive observe other drivers most, (especially on motorways) are in a complete coma!

If it is not already obvious, I subscribe to the 'defensive driving' school of thought :)- AKA, be aware of the idiots on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to think about giving up is when: The journey you used to do in 20 mins, is now taking 35 min. and now we have another thousand houses being built in our town in the next year:(

I am now getting very worried , at 72 with a nice V8 ( not my first I hasten to add ) I think I had better get my mind round to topping myself when I get to 74 !

I am now getting very worried , at 72 with a nice V8 ( not my first I hasten to add ) I think I had better get my mind round to topping myself when I get to 74 !
No. You just have to have more challenging driving experiences to keep your synapses firing strong and sharp.
You have the car - just find the road or track.
Have you noticed how plod's witty introduction has been updated from "Ooh d'ye think yoouu are - Stirling Bloody Moss / Barry Bloody Sheene (circle whichever applies)
to "Tasty car/bike you got there Sir. Did you get it from Nigel Mansell / Carl Fogarty?" Note the mildly sarcastic / abusive use of the appelllation "Sir".

As others have said, it’s down to the individual. But even though I’m 74, I’m totally in favour of routine competency tests for older drivers. I don’t agree with routine refresher courses though. I know I’m not alone in taking an interest in all aspects of motoring, keeping up-to-date with changes - more so than a high proportion of younger drivers. However, the courses should be taken by those who test examiners evaluate as needing them. Routine medical tests should also be mandatory.

When I was approaching my 70th birthday I got assessed by IAM and was classified as excellent. I’ll do the assessment again before I’m 75. I had a thorough BUPA medical last year, with no issues. I fear that I’m very much in the minority in taking the time (and expense) to check that I’m still fit to drive.

Geoffrey Lederman is one of the sharpest guys you could possibly imagine. A leader in his industry, who loved the SL380 which he'd been driving for 30 years.

This is what happened to him, on the way back from a high level "Bridge" conference (high level competition) when he was 83.

The crash killed a 33-year-old mother, and a young woman suffered brain damage and lost an eye.

Driver, 83, 'mowed down mother when he mistook accelerator for brake in his classic Mercedes'

243A8C1400000578-2883672-image-a-4_1419281056218.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom