When should you stop driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am now getting very worried , at 72 with a nice V8 ( not my first I hasten to add ) I think I had better get my mind round to topping myself when I get to 74 !
In that case can I have first refusal on your V8 ? :)

I would think if you are in a position where you hardly use your car but still opt to keep it and drive that you would be much better off financially just getting taxis when required.

I think if I ever get there, that's what I will be doing.

I would stop driving if I start behaving like Donald Trump meaning psychotic and insane in the membrain.:eek::cool:o_O

Well living in a area with a large population of older drivers you get some insight into what happens as they get older,first most are retired,and so can pick and choose when they drive,and so they avoid the school run drivers,next talking to some I devised a short questionaire,I ask if you are driving from your home to Colchester town centre what route would you take,and many take a longer route to avoid tricky road junctions,I ask do you drive at night and many say no they have no need to and anyway the oncoming headlights dazzle them,I then ask whats the longest drive you have taken in the last year,and find that 30 miles is about the limit,contrast that with some older drivers who say well went to Newcastle last week rained all the way glad to get to the hotel.
From all that I find that many older drivers know that there driving ability is waining,and so trips are short along roads they know,they ignore both physical and degenerative illnesses,believing they have a right to drive forever.
I think we have to have compulsory medicals,and short driving tests from the drivers own home in their car,and the examiner will in the first 10 mins know if a older driver can still drive safely on our roads,I am now 70,I would have no problem doing that,my answers to my posed questions would be the most direct route to Colchester,if I have to mix it with the mad mothers on the school run then bring it on,my longest trip in the past year is North Yorkshire,and you will find me on the motorway using that passing lane at 80 plus cameras permitting,but there will come a day when I will need to be told to pack it in,and so we need to be checked over.

My grandmother was still driving with dementia - she would go out and then forget where she lived. She didn't consider there was any problem and refused point blank to give up her car - my dad removed the rotor arm in the end.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, not screaming in terror like my grandfathers passengers, as the old joke goes.

However bare in mind that years into the future, and not that many for some of us, we will be the subject of this conversation amongst our children/nephews, and how will we feel then?

we will be the subject of this conversation amongst our children/nephews, and how will we feel then?

Not necessarily ... both my parents gave up driving quite voluntarily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom