When they see your car as a taxi ... is it time to sell it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
Ignoring the Mercedes cabs in Germany for a moment. I don’t think I have ever seen so many 212s as Uber’s etc on the road.

I always chuckle remembering when I was sitting in the 63 waiting for my wife one evening in Glasgow city centre waiting for her coming out of a restaurant with 2 of her pals. Just before they got to the car 2 girls and a guy knocked the window asking if I was a taxi. So just as I had said “no I’m not sorry” the wife got in with her friends. I was then hurled with drunken abuse as to “ you effing said you weren’t a taxi ya pr..ck” .... lol.

Give me that "taxi" image over "all show and no go" any day ;-)

I actually saw an S65 in full taxi livery, complete with taxi light on the roof, outside Geneva airport one day :eek:

Unfortunately I was so gobsmacked at the sight of it I didn't have the presence of mind to take a photo :wallbash:

Mine was a Chauffeur car for the first 4 years of its life with me. Kept it when I retired and now never think of it as anything other than my main car.

The mileage is the only reminder of its previous life, but I live safe in the knowledge that all the chauffeuring miles were driven by me.

Just before they got to the car 2 girls and a guy knocked the window asking if I was a taxi. So just as I had said “no I’m not sorry” the wife got in with her friends. I was then hurled with drunken abuse as to “ you effing said you weren’t a taxi ya pr..ck” .... lol.

You should have told the missus to walk if she was going to talk to you like that.

Ignoring the Mercedes cabs in Germany for a moment. I don’t think I have ever seen so many 212s as Uber’s etc on the road.

I always chuckle remembering when I was sitting in the 63 waiting for my wife one evening in Glasgow city centre waiting for her coming out of a restaurant with 2 of her pals. Just before they got to the car 2 girls and a guy knocked the window asking if I was a taxi. So just as I had said “no I’m not sorry” the wife got in with her friends. I was then hurled with drunken abuse as to “ you effing said you weren’t a taxi ya pr..ck” .... lol.
I hope you gave it the beams when you set off...:D

Running costs per mile might eat into the profitability as a taxi I suspect!

At Belgian/French taxi prices? Maybe not.... Those guys are a cartel and its no wonder they are massively opposed to Uber.

IMG_1746.jpeg

I'd love to sell it:) but don't actually own it, just enjoy the use of it. I was the chauffeur, and it was pre-booked. Does that count?

I think mainly Prius owners have this issue. I've been driven around in plenty of BMW uber cars , a few audis eg a6, and ofcourse some mercs. it puts a big smile on my face getting to sit in the back of a German 'premium' car.
I'm sure when I drive my old bmw around, people think I cant afford a proper car . When I drive the merc wagon around , I'm sure people think I'm a boring old fart who owns a couple of labradors (which is true except I'm not old ;) and dont own any canines)

The guy at First Aid Wheels yesterday saw my E Class estate complete with bike racks and just assumed that it was de-badged because I was trying to hide the fact that it was a 200 or 220CDI.

Stealthy taxi-ness :)

The W203 got taxi discounts at the local car wash.

With the W204, the MOT tester commented that it was a very 'clean' car (looking at the undercarriage), but then asked if I Uber in it....

I suppose I had the opposite experience : sitting in my W124 in Brown St at around 5pm , some 20 years ago , waiting for her ladyship to finish work , this head appeared through my sunroof " Business ? " . I was a bit slow , said "pardon" , to which the same " Business " came back .... then the penny dropped and I replied that I was waiting for my girlfriend to finish work ; I thought it funny , but when Jan came out and I mentioned to her , what I thought was a funny anecdote , she went into a rage , and stormed back into her building , demanding that the security guys check their CCTV and call the police .

I knew that Blythswood Square was a haunt of 'ladies of the night' , but not Brown St .

For those not familiar , there is a certain MOD establishment there .

Reactions: HB
this head appeared through my sunroof " Business ? "

A few months ago, whilst on holiday, I was parked on the sea front in Torquay with my family in the car whilst I was on a video conference. As I was talking, a head popped through the sun roof on my wifes’s side of the car, asking for change for bus fare home. The guy looked like he was down on his look, and stepped up on to the side steps to be able to speak through the sun roof!

Whilst I carried on talking on my video conference, this guy proceeded to say that his car had broken down in Torquay, he could afford to fix it, and he needed to get back to Exeter for a hospital appointment the next morning. He then lifted up his t-shirt to show us a huge open wound in his stomach. It could easily have been a tall story, but I think it may have been true.

I think he needed something specific like £2.80 for the bus fare. We only had a tenner in cash so my wife passed it to him through the sunroof and we watched him as he went and sat in the bus stop. Being the consummate professional I carried on unphased by both the guy’s antics and the flurry of instant messages saying “WTF?”!! :D

I suppose I had the opposite experience : sitting in my W124 in Brown St at around 5pm , some 20 years ago , waiting for her ladyship to finish work , this head appeared through my sunroof " Business ? " . I was a bit slow , said "pardon" , to which the same " Business " came back .... then the penny dropped and I replied that I was waiting for my girlfriend to finish work ; I thought it funny , but when Jan came out and I mentioned to her , what I thought was a funny anecdote , she went into a rage , and stormed back into her building , demanding that the security guys check their CCTV and call the police .

I knew that Blythswood Square was a haunt of 'ladies of the night' , but not Brown St .

For those not familiar , there is a certain MOD establishment there .
The MOD building is round the corner from our building. Never had the pleasure of being offered “Business” ever in the area .... must hang about a bit later after work

Whilst I carried on talking on my video conference, this guy proceeded to say that his car had broken down in Torquay, he could afford to fix it, and he needed to get back to Exeter for a hospital appointment the next morning. He then lifted up his t-shirt to show us a huge open wound in his stomach. It could easily have been a tall story, but I think it may have been true.

He was a druggie - it's their usual MO.

A few months ago, whilst on holiday, I was parked on the sea front in Torquay with my family in the car whilst I was on a video conference. As I was talking, a head popped through the sun roof on my wifes’s side of the car, asking for change for bus fare home. The guy looked like he was down on his look, and stepped up on to the side steps to be able to speak through the sun roof!

I think he needed something specific like £2.80 for the bus fare. We only had a tenner in cash so my wife passed it to him through the sunroof and we watched him as he went and sat in the bus stop. Being the consummate professional I carried on unphased by both the guy’s antics and the flurry of instant messages saying “WTF?”!! :D

What car did he have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom