When to replace the battery? Start / stop not working, dashcam shuts down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Combo

Car
CLA45
Hi all, I'm having a bit of an issue with the dashcam in my car.

I have a 2016 CLA, I bought it this year and assume the battery has not been replaced before. Start/Stop has never worked (on the dash it has the line through it) and I installed a Blackvue DR900X dashcam but I find that before I get out the car when I park up the Blackvue usually says shutting down. I assume this is because the battery dips below the threshold designed to stop the cam draining all the battery.

I can get a dedicated battery pack for the cam but they are over £200 which seems a bit steep. I bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 and ran a recondition cycle on the main battery which took a long time to complete and I still have the same issues.

I managed to get to the hidden dash menu to show battery voltage once but not been able to get back into it for some reason. I have a cheap multimeter so can read the voltage at the battery, my question is what should I be looking for to know if I need to change the main and auxiliary battery? Can I replace this myself or does it cause an error code that I need a garage to clear? What is the best battery? I was thinking the Bosch S5A11 is probably the best.

Cheers

I'm assuming that your dashcam is powered by the main battery. Immediately after you turn off the engine, what is the voltage reading of that battery?

It probably is the main battery beginning to fail.
You should be looking at 12.6v+ for a fully charged AGM battery.

If you decide to replace the battery, get a quote from MB Grangemouth first. They give a forum discount and are pretty competitive.
I'd also get a price for a Varta/Bosch from Tayna batteries. Get the Part # from your existing battery to ensure you have the correct one.

Both main and Auxiliary battery are a simple DIY job. Neg terminal off first and replaced last. No coding required.
download.png

I got my replacement battery from Tanya a few weeks ago. Varta AGM for my T212 350 cdi. Best price and delivery by far. On my doorstep within 36 hours.

I have just replaced my main battery today with a Genuine battery from Mercedes Grangemouth with fourm discount I had it delivered in 24 hours for £199 which is a great price for a genuine battery with delivery

Thanks all, I tend to use Tayna as their service is excellent and no idea how they price so competitively! I like Varta too but the Bosch was the same price and spec but 1 year more warranty. I’ll get the meter in the battery and test, then get a quote from that garage to compare to Tayna, thanks for the advice.

Thanks all, I tend to use Tayna as their service is excellent and no idea how they price so competitively! I like Varta too but the Bosch was the same price and spec but 1 year more warranty. I’ll get the meter in the battery and test, then get a quote from that garage to compare to Tayna, thanks for the advice.
I believe the difference between Bosch and Varta batteries is brand (and warranty), it’s the same battery otherwise.

I’ve bought a few batteries from Tayna but I found their after sales support was poor. I had a leisure battery fail prematurely, so I contacted them and they did everything possible to wriggle out of a replacement. I gave up in the end. I now prefer to buy batteries from somewhere I can physically return them just in case they fail prematurely - which is not uncommon.

I believe the difference between Bosch and Varta batteries is brand (and warranty), it’s the same battery otherwise.

I’ve bought a few batteries from Tayna but I found their after sales support was poor. I had a leisure battery fail prematurely, so I contacted them and they did everything possible to wriggle out of a replacement. I gave up in the end. I now prefer to buy batteries from somewhere I can physically return them just in case they fail prematurely - which is not uncommon.
To be fair, I’ve never had to return anything but they are fast to post and reasonable too. I’ve used them quite a lot for car and UPS batteries. Amazon have price matched the Bosch so maybe I’ll get it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom