When worlds collide, or what a wonderful W124 coincidence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Today I went to my favourite restaurant for a charity lunch with wines provided by Piedmontese winemakers who came over from Italy for the lunch. A wino friend from Kendal, Tim came down with his wife Brenda for the lunch, and as we chatted outside having arrived early, he pointed out his Tourmaline Green W124 1995 estate that he had bought recently. Funny, I said, mine is parked round the corner too, another 95 Tourmaline Green estate. Chatting away as we went to look at it, I asked him if he knew of W124 Works and Ian Walker of this parish, to be surprised to learn that is where he bought his from!

A highly enjoyable lunch with super wines was made even better by being able to witter on about W124s too. Talk about a small world, and he sends his regards to Ian and the team! A combined wine and W124 event up North beckons....

Small world isn't it.

Sounds like a wonderful evening.

What resturant was it Charles?

The Ledbury in Notting Hill - super super food, very friendly and a brilliant bargain for lunch, as a two star restaurant, no chance of an evening table.

Now off to bonfire Night in Battersea Park with oodles of homemade sloe gin, given I was abstemious on the wine at lunch.

Was that resturant on Master Chef recently?

I made some Sloe Gin a few years back. It was thick, alcoholic, fruity and moreish!

Was that resturant on Master Chef recently?

I made some Sloe Gin a few years back. It was thick, alcoholic, fruity and moreish!

Yes - it featured very recently.

One day I must go to a Starred resturant

Thanks Charles. I know Tim and his son in law (the one with a drop dead gorgeous CLK55 AMG). Ever so pleased that the car we sold ( I knew it was a mistake :doh:) is still looking good. My regards back to Tim and he is due a service shortly :D

I've also got a wee story today!

I was driving down to the supermarket and got shouted to by a guy on the pavement saying he had an AMG w124 for sale.

I pulled over and jumped out to have a chat.

He told me that he's got an E220 with a full AMG bodykit on it in a grey black colour.

I'd met him a few years back so kind of knew him.

He said to me that he had another set but had already sold the front and rear bumpers and ducktail spoiler.

Then he told me that he's got a pair of AMG sideskirts and could have them if I can take them away!

Not a bad deal at all!

I have some questions:

1. How much are they worth?
2. Where canI get the front and rear bumpers from and how much will they cost me?
3. Does anyone have the bumpers for sale?
4. Is anyone interested in buying the skirts from me?

Regards,

KJ

If the skirts are for a coupe,I might have someone interested.

GenI or II.I think he`d still go for it,how much though and do they have the jacking covers?

I'll be picking them up in the next few days hopefully then I'll let you know.

Not sure what gen they are.

Whats the difference?

KJ

One day I must go to a Starred resturant

Lunch is the key.

You'll get good value at lunchtime, same standard of food but a little less in the way of volume.

I'm off to a single starred place in the next few weeks for a £29 set lunch. Only 3 courses but add in the canapes, pre starter and pre dessert and it seems more.

We use it as shorthand for winelover.

we use it for the same thing :) the good old english language :D

true-mans-drink.jpg

Lunch is the key.

You'll get good value at lunchtime, same standard of food but a little less in the way of volume.

I'm off to a single starred place in the next few weeks for a £29 set lunch. Only 3 courses but add in the canapes, pre starter and pre dessert and it seems more.

This is very sound advice. Lunch at a top restaurant in the UK is one of the great bargains of the food world if you stick to the set lunch and don't get enthusiastic with the wine list. Discussing this with a friend the other day, we reckoned that set lunches have hardly gone up in price in close to 20 years, and virtually all the best ones do it.

On the subject of Wino, one of the London clubs was upset recently when the Post Office changed their postcode, as they felt the old one was much more appropriate - W1N 0ES....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom