When

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve just returned from a trip to Lapland with the family. For a change, I decided to go to and from Stansted by train and leave the car at home. Even including the taxi fare to and from Peterborough station, it worked out cheaper. All was good on the way out. The return leg, on the other hand, was fraught.

After boarding the plane at Rovaniemi airport we had to wait a long time for the wings to be de-iced. Then when we finally got to roar along the runway the pilot applied reverse thrust and brought us to a halt yards from the end. Four hours later than scheduled, after engineers squirted WD40 into the engines while we all sat on Ryanair’s rock solid plane seats, we took of.

Arriving very late at Stansted meant a much reduced train service to Peterborough, so lots more hanging around. Our relief of finally boarding a home-bound train was short lived when an announcement greeted us with the news that a shortage of train drivers meant that our Birmingham-bound train would terminate at Cambridge.

Alternative train routes were nonsensical at night with kids, so we had to take an expensive taxi home from Cambridge.

That’s why I prefer my ‘uneconomical car’ that only covers around 5k miles a year.
EU compensation rules?

Delay​

If your flight is delayed at departure, you have the right to assistance, to reimbursement and a return flight, depending on the duration of the delay and the distance of the flight.

If you arrived at your final destination with a delay of more than 3 hours, you are entitled to compensation, unless the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances. The airline has to prove this by providing, for example, extracts from logbooks or incident reports. The air carrier should give this evidence to the relevant national enforcement body as well as to the passengers concerned in line with national provisions on access to documents.

EU compensation rules?

Delay​

If your flight is delayed at departure, you have the right to assistance, to reimbursement and a return flight, depending on the duration of the delay and the distance of the flight.

If you arrived at your final destination with a delay of more than 3 hours, you are entitled to compensation, unless the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances. The airline has to prove this by providing, for example, extracts from logbooks or incident reports. The air carrier should give this evidence to the relevant national enforcement body as well as to the passengers concerned in line with national provisions on access to documents.
🙄🙄

Don't we own cars because we want to, and get enjoyment and convenience out of them? Using a pure cost argument, then we should also all downsize to the smallest viable home, and maybe just eat the basic nutritional requirement everyday. Going out for pleasure - you jest!
There's an interesting "pseudo control group" study regarding the use of personal transport vs public transport and the economic arguments for using the cheapest.

It is Tallin, the capital of Estonia, which introduced free public transport for its residents in (istr) 2003. So what happened? Private car ownership and use has continued to increase because people prefer the convenience, comfort and reliability of their own transport even when the alternative is free. Car ownership is about more than simple economics.

It's not just the simple maths it's the whole convienence of having a car available. I could get a bus to Norwich from where I live out in the sticks. But that bus will not then take me to the shops on the outskirts of the city. Take the other day for example, drove into Norwich to go to toolstation, Screwfix, the range and Poundland ( I bet you are jealous of my jetset lifestyle....) all those stores are on out of town sites so there is no way I could have done it on public transport.

I have given up with public transport in the West Midlands conurbation and have been in constant communication with my local MP regarding transport issues.

Great Malvern is serviced by two service providers First Great Western and West Midlands trains , both are unreliable thus useless.At the weekends the waiting room is locked.

First Midland Red provide our intercity bus services but cannot keep to a time table !

We're also in the West Midlands but the closest public transport (a bus stop) is 6 miles away. 13 miles to the nearest rail station.

Reactions: JHS
Low mileage eventually made me decide it was time to part company with my 1972 MGB Roadster. Really enjoyed owning it for the past 12 years or so, but over the last three years I only did a total of about 200 miles - so I was effectively having to spend maintenance and insurance simply to avoid it deteriorating. So, off it went to an enthusiast owner - I got about 20% more than I paid for it, which offset the vast majority of my cost of ownership during that time. Great experience (especially for my son, who at the age of about 12 had to learn how to push a broken down car...), scratched a longstanding itch, and also very happy to draw a line under it.

Low mileage eventually made me decide it was time to part company with my 1972 MGB Roadster. Really enjoyed owning it for the past 12 years or so, but over the last three years I only did a total of about 200 miles

I'm using my SL (even) less now we've moved out into the sticks - narrow lanes with passing places, mud from tractors etc. on the roads.

Low mileage eventually made me decide it was time to part company with my 1972 MGB Roadster. Really enjoyed owning it for the past 12 years or so, but over the last three years I only did a total of about 200 miles - so I was effectively having to spend maintenance and insurance simply to avoid it deteriorating. So, off it went to an enthusiast owner - I got about 20% more than I paid for it, which offset the vast majority of my cost of ownership during that time. Great experience (especially for my son, who at the age of about 12 had to learn how to push a broken down car...), scratched a longstanding itch, and also very happy to draw a line under it.
Did likewise with a Westfield and a Honda S2000.

I use a taxi at least 5 or 6 times a week......
Unless they are very short journeys I bet you spend more on them than I spend on diesel and VED per week.

Unless they are very short journeys I bet you spend more on them than I spend on diesel and VED per week.
To be fair, I am a taxi driver with my own taxi 😇 (for clarity I use approx £100 diesel a week and ved is around £3.60 a week)

I’ll bet it was well worth the travel horror to see the main man though eh? 😊🥳👍👏
The barbecued salmon at Santa Claus Village was the highlight for me. But the main man was pretty amazing and made time for all of us.
IMG_1423.jpeg

EU compensation rules?

Delay​

Thanks. All in process. I’ve had two previous successful claims. One was a fight, but I still got it.

Yeah but I bet Ryanair charged them for the WD40 :D

"If you haven't prepaid to use the stairs, you'll have to feckin' jump....."
It was no surprise to me that they charged for water and Pringles during the long wait on the runway.

Well we all thank you for that and pushing up flight prices for the rest of us...... :)

Well we all thank you for that and pushing up flight prices for the rest of us...... :)
If I’m responsible for effecting the prices of a multi-billion dollar industry, I can’t help but feel a sense of pride!

t is Tallin, the capital of Estonia, which introduced free public transport for its residents in (istr) 2003. So what happened? Private car ownership and use has continued to increase because people prefer the convenience, comfort and reliability of their own transport even when the alternative is free. Car ownership is about more than simple economics.

Everyone here over state retirement age is eligible for free public transport via a bus pass but I expect very few will use it. I've had a bus pass for 3 years now and only used it 5 or 6 times in total. All I can say is it's not to be recommended unless you have a lot of time on your hands. In the few cases I've used it there is another reason besides cost for example not wanting to take my car into a city centre. Even then I drive to a park and ride and take the bus from there otherwise it's not viable to use public transport. When I've used a route where there is bus every 5 or 10 mins it's worked reasonably well and I can see see it's value in the big cities. Outside of the big urban areas where there is a bus once per hour at best - forget it.

Freedom Pass is definitely worth its weight in gold in London.

Everyone here over state retirement age is eligible for free public transport via a bus pass but I expect very few will use it. I've had a bus pass for 3 years now and only used it 5 or 6 times in total. All I can say is it's not to be recommended unless you have a lot of time on your hands. In the few cases I've used it there is another reason besides cost for example not wanting to take my car into a city centre. Even then I drive to a park and ride and take the bus from there otherwise it's not viable to use public transport. When I've used a route where there is bus every 5 or 10 mins it's worked reasonably well and I can see see it's value in the big cities. Outside of the big urban areas where there is a bus once per hour at best - forget it.

In Southport, we fall under the "Liverpool City Region", so get a pass from age 60. I'm not interested in free bus travel, but it also gets free travel on Merseyrail trains and even on the Mersey ferry - and I'll certainly make use of both of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom