When

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks. All in process. I’ve had two previous successful claims. One was a fight, but I still got it.
An update on this. I filled out a simple form on the Ryanair website to claim compensation for the long delay in Lapland. Two days later I received an email from them saying that they will pay out in full. The compensation almost covers the return flight costs. :) Kudos to Ryanair for their straightforward resolution without any argument.

To be fair it's not like they have any choice....it's the law.

No....but that's mainly because , to be fair, I can't remember the last time I caught a plane that was significantly late.

I deffo use my free Oyster card for London undergr (if you live in a London borough free after 60)
Great for days up town/theatre…..and I can have a vino 🍷

Now I realise that it’s different if you live rural (or even edge of cities), but I wonder where that crossover is - I suppose it would depend on ppm of Uber, and the actual cost pm of your car.

an intriguing question :thumb:

Last edited:
Reactions: JHS
No....but that's mainly because , to be fair, I can't remember the last time I caught a plane that was significantly late.
You’ve been fortunate or don’t fly much. I’ve been caught out several times. It’s happened to me on flights away from Europe on non-European airlines where there have been no compensation regulations so I’ve received nothing. But even where I have been able to claim it hasn’t always been easy. I had a long fight with Thai Airways over an overnight delay from Heathrow. They made the mistake of trying to fob me off with technical nonsense and I had to threaten them with court action before they eventually paid up.

My wife has a Fiat 500 1.2 that does all the endless short trips to the supermarket, dropping off and picking up from the tube station, etc. Does maybe 2k per year.

I have a middle aged but still very healthy E500 for the long distance/family stuff. In the last six months it's taken us to France, Leeds (three times) and Norwich and will shortly be going to the Malvern Hills and then back to Leeds. Does 5-5k per year.

I suppose I could run an newer, cheaper family car - a Passat/Octavia/Superb estate or whatever - but that would be a bit boring. If and when I retire and/or get an XKR or whatever I'll probably go down that route but, for now, the E is staying.

An interesting thread....
Interesting... that "Club" mileages are near the national average, which always "seems" a bit low.

Pulling on my "Accountant's hat," it's not the average cost per mile, or even the total cost that's crucial, but more the marginal cost of the car when you need it. It's just "so easy" to drive rather than take a bus / taxi / bike

SWMBO has an Mx5 on the drive. Her 6th, all of the same type. It cost £3.5k because it had 30k on the clock, and it's worth about £3.5k three years later. Totally reliable, it just gets fuelled, serviced, taxed and detailed. And that's it.

So the Mx5 is about £10 / week fixed cost plus 30p per mile

Do we need that second car? Obviously not. We walk five miles a day on average and we've got free public transport in London, that we use quite a lot. And we've got both Uber and Zip ( very cheap EV self-drive) that we barely use at all.

Would she let it go? "It would have to be ripped out of her cold dead hands," she says.

Which always puts a quiet smile on my face.

An interesting thread....
Interesting... that "Club" mileages are near the national average, which always "seems" a bit low.

Pulling on my "Accountant's hat," it's not the average cost per mile, or even the total cost that's crucial, but more the marginal cost of the car when you need it. It's just "so easy" to drive rather than take a bus / taxi / bike

SWMBO has an Mx5 on the drive. Her 6th, all of the same type. It cost £3.5k because it had 30k on the clock, and it's worth about £3.5k three years later. Totally reliable, it just gets fuelled, serviced, taxed and detailed. And that's it.

So the Mx5 is about £10 / week fixed cost plus 30p per mile

Do we need that second car? Obviously not. We walk five miles a day on average and we've got free public transport in London, that we use quite a lot. And we've got both Uber and Zip ( very cheap EV self-drive) that we barely use at all.

Would she let it go? "It would have to be ripped out of her cold dead hands," she says.

Which always puts a quiet smile on my face.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten all the other modes of transport we use; tubes for commute/school/trips into town. The odd bus when a tube doesn't make sense. Sometimes an Overland/Thameslink/Elizabeth Line train. Lots of Lime Bikes.

I still want two cars. In fact I'd have three if the Financial Controller didn't keep pointing out how pointless that would actually be in London.

I have my cars because they please me, and I can afford to run them. The only times I use public transport are coming back from dropping off a car with Terry Gates for servicing, and going to collect it afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom