Where are the Mercs with ISOFIX?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
I'm looking to buy a W203 C Class (2004 onwards) and can't seem to find any with ISOFIX.

Audi's and BMW's of the same age seem to have these as standard and also listed in the Autotrader advert for the cars but no mention of ISOFIX in the Merces I've seen for sale on the web.

it's std on the newer W204 model but was an option on the 203 as far as I know - so you mayhave to do some searching to get one as it was probably quite a lot of cash ont he options list!

I have an S500L (2004), doesn't seem to have it in the back even though the owners manual says it should, any advice? (Has electric reclining rear seats, is that the reason?

Here they are :) :

LINK

Cheers,

When you narrow it down to large capacity diesel power then the list drops to 7 and for under £12k = zero!!!

Looks like a BMW 330d or Audi A4 3.0tdi is the better option unless the needle can be found in the haystack.

Thanks again

You need an ML then :D - I think ISO-fix was standard from the facelift onwards.

around the age you are looking it was an option.. some cars will have it, some wont.

"Auto child seat recognition" is a lot more common but it doesnt mean that the seats are ISOFIX, just that the airbag is turned off if you buy a mercedes child seat.

Have you already got an ISOFIX child seat you wish to use in the new car ?

Otherwise there are perfectly good child seats from reputable makers which fit very securely into any car using the standard three point seat belts . A BIG advantage being that if your car has to go in for service , the standard seat can be swapped into almost any other car that is available .

After lengthy research , I opted for the Recaro Young Sport as a follow on from the infant carrier . We bought two of these seats so we could have one in each car . Since the seat belt is designed to restrain an adult , it is more than up to the task of restraining a child in a child seat .

This is one of the seats in the back of my W126 .

13_DSC2867.jpg

^^ This is true actually - there is a lot to be said for non-isofix seats.

We have the britax iso-fix duo (r whatever it is called) - it cost a fortune, weighs a ton, isn't as easy to fit as you'd think and neither of our kids have found it comfortable!

the seat we have is the one that all the car manufacturers re-brand and use inc VW and Merc.

That said, when it is is place it is completely solid - really secure - but I don't think I would base my car choice on it.

Non-iso fix here too. Much more convenient. Especially if the kids go out with relatives.

.... After lengthy research , I opted for the Recaro Young Sport...

He he... this was my first choice, no research needed! ;)

Sadly the wife didn't like the idea that it was only (at the time) available in black.... so our little girl had a child seat from Mothercare with lots of colourful bits, mostly pinkish.... :(

Another point is that a colleague who bought ISOFIX seats to go in his wife's Laguna ended up having to CUT holes in the leather seat covers to access the car's ISOFIX mounting points :eek::eek::eek:

We've never used Isofix, even though the Vito has it.

Have you already got an ISOFIX child seat you wish to use in the new car ?

Otherwise there are perfectly good child seats from reputable makers which fit very securely into any car using the standard three point seat belts . A BIG advantage being that if your car has to go in for service , the standard seat can be swapped into almost any other car that is available .

After lengthy research , I opted for the Recaro Young Sport as a follow on from the infant carrier . We bought two of these seats so we could have one in each car . Since the seat belt is designed to restrain an adult , it is more than up to the task of restraining a child in a child seat .

This is one of the seats in the back of my W126 .

13_DSC2867.jpg

I have already bought the ISOFIX car seat which is a all singing Maxi Coxi seat.

Although all baby car seats need to pass safety tests before they can be sold whether they are restrained by seatbelt or ISOFIX I would rather have ISOFIX. Having the childseat effectively fixed to the chassis of the car appeals especially if the car tipped or rolled (heaven forbid)

As for relatives, Dad would be the only other person driving our newborn around (when she arrives) and all his company cars have ISOFIX.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Retro-Fitted ISOFIX Attachments to W203

Apologies for reviving this thread, but I needed ISOFIX has we already have an ISOFIX child seat, Concord Transformer X.

@chriswt,
I have this weekend DIY installed two OEM ISOFIX attachments to my C32. It was an easu job and did not take that long with only a E10 torx bolt and a 12mm hex nut per each attachment for installation.

I thought I would post it here since, I think the UK stealers are not allowed to sell the OEM parts to joe public. I did it in Italy (residing there) and was not expensive. So, if anyone needs to do the same just PM me and I will order and post at cost.

Attachments

• Dscn1957.jpg
    Dscn1957.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Dscn1958.jpg
    Dscn1958.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Dscn1960.jpg
    Dscn1960.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 158
@orientdude - Just stumbled on your post after hours of putting "isofix retrofit C class" into Google and I think you've solved the problem I have. You have an estate right? So I assume the holes are predrilled in the chassis? I can't PM you as I'm a newbie but I'd like to know if your offer of purchasing the part still stands?

I might as well add to the post I started. Got through 2 Audi A4s, the wife's Golf, 1 BMW and a Ford with ISOFIX and still struggle to find any older Mercs with ISOFIX or the option to retrofit safely.

We're on to a 'rear facing' babyseat now after months of research and testing various models which although a little expensive is amazing and a lot safer than front facing seats.

Besafe Izi Combi X3 Isofix car seat, rear facing until 4 years old

Did get a Recaro rear facing seat but the quality was poor and it rattled more than 'that blokes C Class' (you know the Thread I mean)

Recaro Polaric Isofix car seat, rear facing until 4 years old

Hi Orientdude I have just picked up a c220 cdi estate registered in sept 2003 is there any way of checking the fitment of these as I would like to fit them asap as we have isofix in our other car and the difference in how secure it is is huge . Our son is 3 months so it would be worth our while to fit them.
If they are the same how much would it be for a set and postage to the uk ?
many thanks in advance
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom