Where can I buy standard widescreen TVs ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
My tube has just gone on my 28" widescreen. I don't really want a flat LCD one. A standard CRT one will do. Does anyone know of a clearance place that sells them. ?

I bet there's loooooaaaaaddddds of leftover sets going near you, look on eBay - search for them and select 'nearest first'

Virtually worthless these days, I wouldn't bother buying a new one unless you really want to?

As an aside, you can get a decent 32" or so LCD for very little these days compared to what TVs used to cost, one of those things that has actually got much cheaper over the years :)

Will

My tube has just gone on my 28" widescreen. I don't really want a flat LCD one. A standard CRT one will do. Does anyone know of a clearance place that sells them. ?

The chance of the tube going is nil, unless it is a Philips

What make is the set and model

I know you said you did'nt want LCD but at these prices it might worth thinking about,I have bought loads of stuff from them,they are great.
s.gif
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Willen-Trading

Last edited:
I've thrown 2 away in the last few months.
Perhaps a smaller independant TV shop might have them that they've taken out of people's houses for disposal after installing flat panels.

First hit on Google for CRT TV:
http://www.tba-online.co.uk/philips-28pw6518-28-flat-widescreen-crt-tv-p-19.html
(They're ex-rental)

Last edited:
As an aside, you can get a decent 32" or so LCD for very little these days compared to what TVs used to cost, one of those things that has actually got much cheaper over the years :)

They are cheap but the actual display quality compared with a half decent CRT is not that great.

LCDs still have issues with regard to:

Viewing angle
Backlighting (lack of evenness)
Contrast
Poor blacks
Image smearing

One telling point is that shops *still* seem to prefer to put CGI movies on them when they are on display.

I agree, that's why I have Plasma TVs instead ;)

Just mentioning the price aspect as for a smaller sized set such as the OPs, he may have discounted LCD or Plasma on economical grounds - I was trying to point out that people happily forked out £££s, even £1K+ for top of the range CRTs a few years back, and you can now buy superb 42"+ Plasma TVs for the same cash today :)

Will

They are cheap but the actual display quality compared with a half decent CRT is not that great.

LCDs still have issues with regard to:

Viewing angle
Backlighting (lack of evenness)
Contrast
Poor blacks
Image smearing

One telling point is that shops *still* seem to prefer to put CGI movies on them when they are on display.

Not if you buy the "Fujitsu Aviamo 37" LCD's" they are the best you can buy!!.:D

Best Regards.

Last edited:
Tesco do a few, I bought one for my folks late one night when their tele went caput.

Don't listen to him! I'll do it in 10 mins for 50p :devil:

The sets made the last few years do only take mins to repair, shame it all died now, the only consolation is that I cant work for ever,,, mind you two in for repair today and I sold one, so that pays for the lecky for my computer and this forum :D

The sets made the last few years do only take mins to repair, shame it all died now, the only consolation is that I cant work for ever,,, mind you two in for repair today and I sold one, so that pays for the lecky for my computer and this forum :D
Do I take it then that you are able to repair TVs? I have a 32" Sony Trinitron that's been getting steadily darker over the last few weeks, I've cranked up the brightness and contrast but it's getting to the point where that's not helping now. Any ideas? :)

http://www.martindawes.net/

Manchester Fort Shopping Park, Cheetham Hill, M8 8EP
Tel. 0161 832 3322

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom