Where can I get alarm remotes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badshot1uk

Car
1991 300 TE 24V Sportline, 2001 Chipped Picasso 2.0 HDI
Hi all,

A while ago I brought a 300 te 24v for the wife to run the kids round.
It didnt come with any keyfobs although the car does have central locking and sensors inside.

I dont think the alarm works and i'd love a couple of remotes to lock the car.

The question is can I go to Mercedes and sort this or do I just have a new alarm and remote central locking installed by a local car alarm company?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul , what alarm does it have on it ?

If it's a Scorpion ( fitted on the w124 era cars) you might be out of luck ...

I had this problem with mine, and Scorpion don't make the remotes any more, and to make matters worse, they use a 'rolling code' so (as far as i was able to ascertain) no electronics company can manufacture a remote that will work ..

Sure they can if you have 1 remote for them to work from , but if you have none ( like me ) you will be stuffed ...... only way around it is to have a new system fitted ..

I took the 'brain' out from under the dash in my attempts to tally everything up , but to no avail ....

You may possibly be able to scour ebay until someone is selling a brand new Mercedes alarm kit whose model number matches up and comes with the remotes ,and you just install the matching brain , but i've been watching for three years and haven't seen one yet !!

Lots of alarms come up for sale , but always for the ML or SLK , with a slightly differing part number ( the box looks the same but they are always about £80 and i don't want to risk that much money for something that might not work)

Good luck

Howard said:

I had this problem with mine, and Scorpion don't make the remotes any more, and to make matters worse, they use a 'rolling code' so (as far as i was able to ascertain) no electronics company can manufacture a remote that will work ..

Sure they can if you have 1 remote for them to work from , but if you have none ( like me ) you will be stuffed ...... only way around it is to have a new system fitted ..

I took the 'brain' out from under the dash in my attempts to tally everything up , but to no avail ....

You may possibly be able to scour ebay until someone is selling a brand new Mercedes alarm kit whose model number matches up and comes with the remotes ,and you just install the matching brain , but i've been watching for three years and haven't seen one yet !!

Lots of alarms come up for sale , but always for the ML or SLK , with a slightly differing part number ( the box looks the same but they are always about £80 and i don't want to risk that much money for something that might not work)

Good luck

I've got a box of brand new Scorpion remotes somewhere, how you'd get one to work with a specific alarm is anyones guess though...

Howard said:

Good luck

Hi Howard,

Cheers for the swift reply.

I have a feeling it would be the scorpion, because I had another TE that had one, but unfortunatly I dont have a clue where the brains may be?

Do you suggest I just get a new clean install, as some on ebay are offering this for around £200 fitted, which doesnt sound too bad really.

Anyway I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Paul

The brain is under the steering column , take the panel off under the column (drivers footwell) and it is tucked up in there , two big plugs connect to it ....

Its about 6 inches by 4 by 1 1/2 ....

Nick ....

I wonder if they have PIN switches inside them and i could make them work that way , tallying up the PIN switches ?

Howard said:
The brain is under the steering column , take the panel off under the column (drivers footwell) and it is tucked up in there , two big plugs connect to it ....

Its about 6 inches by 4 by 1 1/2 ....

Nick ....

I wonder if they have PIN switches inside them and i could make them work that way , tallying up the PIN switches ?

I'll find them and have a look, they all have the same part number, so there must be some way of making them work with a specific car...

if you get the remotes they can be reprogrammed by scorpion (based in preston).

i had this problem a while ago, but you need to go up there in the car.

but then again who is to know if the alarm system is not dead.

Been through them Graeme ....

If you don't have an existing remote to work from , then there is nothing anyone can do , with the w124 era cars , the rolling code prevents them from making one with nothing to work from ....

Sounds as if contacting the last couple of owners on the registration document by phone might be worth a try, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. Having been stranded once by a faulty remote maybe an entirely new system isn't a bad idea.
I dont think w124s of that vintage ever had factory remote locking unlike the later cars which an MB dealer would be able to help you with, albeit at a price!

edit:- having read bolides post and re-read my own I realise that"w124s of that vintage" could be interpreted as all w 124s. what I meant was the early w124s didnt have factory fit" remote locking " as opposed to factory fit "central locking via a key" which they all had from new. This earliercentral locking system could be subsequently aftermarket-converted to remote locking by installing a remotely activated alarm system?? Dont know exactly when the factory remote locking came in but I'm guessing at the intro of the 92/93 multivalve engines?? My apologies.:eek:

Last edited:
The RCL locking with the black remote & flip-out key was available fairly early on in the W124, I think

The "standard" dealer-fitted alarms had a red whooper under the bonnet by the ABS pump, grey switch on the bonnet edge to detect the bonnet being opened and motion sensors on the A pillars. The whooper had a key switch to turn the system off. I've not tried to get help with one from a dealer

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
bolide said:
The "standard" dealer-fitted alarms had a red whooper under the bonnet by the ABS pump, grey switch on the bonnet edge to detect the bonnet being opened and motion sensors on the A pillars. The whooper had a key switch to turn the system off. I've not tried to get help with one from a dealer

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Yes, thats what mine has , took it all apart and went to the stealers who informed me that they are manufactured by Scorpion .... everal phone calls and emails later, i discovered there was no fix without something to work from ...

I also have a key switch in the back of the glovebox, that does actually arm and disarm the alarm (so you can use it without the remote if you lost it for example) , but when you get back into the car there is no delay before the alarm sounds , so no time to get the key into the back of the glovebox, so every time i got into the car it looked as though i was stealing it ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom