Where can I get this connector?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
I got a LED highlevel brakelight today (thanks philsy) and I require a connector to wire it up.

If you see the picture below, I require a connector like a phone cable connector (but smaller).

In the hole is 2 spikes for the + and the - wires.

I tried my local MB dealer who reckons I would have to simple buy a new unit. and ive also tried a local car shop...

Can anyone help? would Maplin have them?

socket.gif

KillerHERTZ said:
If you see the picture below, I require a connector like a phone cable connector (but smaller).
Have you got a clearer photo of the socket? I have several oem wiring harnesses here, if I have the plug I can give you the part number for the plug and the pins so you can order them, but I will need a better pic :) .

EDIT: I could also ask my stealership for the part number of the harness that goes to the lamp, which would come with all connectors etc. The price can be a little unpredictable however ;)

Last edited:
Any better? sorry crappy webcam.

The red dots are the pins sticking out

socket2.gif

That last pic is better, are there any other shapes on the plug? The part number is moulded into the plug, so Pluggers could read the number off his! :)

Its nearly the same size as a Modem/phone cable (the small end which goes in the PC)

KillerHERTZ said:
Its nearly the same size as a Modem/phone cable (the small end which goes in the PC)
How does one go about removing the lamp then? I could just take mine apart and give you the number off the plug. :)

Inside the car, you press the 2 side buttons in, and pull the small back cover off, then you can see the same as the pics above...

Cheers!

KillerHERTZ said:
Inside the car, you press the 2 side buttons in, and pull the small back cover off, then you can see the same as the pics above...
Ok, I will try that in a bit! I have to go on a little trip to my favourite place in the world in 10 mins - the jobcentre :rolleyes: , once I've got that done with I'll start pulling my car apart :)

Shude said:
Ok, I will try that in a bit! I have to go on a little trip to my favourite place in the world in 10 mins - the jobcentre :rolleyes: , once I've got that done with I'll start pulling my car apart :)
Depressing innit? :rolleyes: I was there on Wednesday just gone. So has anyone commented yet on a job seeker that travels in a MB? :devil: :rock: KH, Sorry for going off topic.

S.

I took the centre brakelight apart :)

The plug part number is A029 545 55 28, and should cost about 50p, the pins to go inside it are A008 545 55 26, they cost 22p each and I recommend you buy at least twice as many as you actually need, they're fiddly little things and I usually lose or break more than I use ;)

Steve_Perry said:
Depressing innit? :rolleyes: I was there on Wednesday just gone. So has anyone commented yet on a job seeker that travels in a MB? :devil: :rock: KH, Sorry for going off topic.
It's not the most pleasant of places is it? I always park about 10 minutes walk from the jobcentre in a supermarket carpark, where it's free, and I always dress in my scruffiest clothes :) .

Last edited:
arggggghhhhhh, I did all that and they sell the bloody connectors?!?! the bloke at MB had never seen them before...

I was at my parents (who dont have the net) so I didnt see your reply.

Thanks!, off to MB on monday then

KillerHERTZ said:
I did all that and they sell the bloody connectors?!?!
Yes, I buy lots of connectors and pins from the stealership, they are probably cheaper from elsewhere but not by much, and they always *look* like they're dedicated oem-specific plugs, I wouldn't know what to ask for anywhere else!
KillerHERTZ said:
the bloke at MB had never seen them before...
I've never seen a connector like that before either, it's actually an insane shape, it has a flange on the side as well as other bits sticking out, that's why I asked, it's a really odd connector! Most parts people can tell you the part number of nearly any consumable you ask them for, brake pads, air filters, you name it. They don't know about stuff like this because most customers leave their cars alone, or get the dealership or another shop to fit things for them!

It's sharing info like this that made me join a forum in the first place, there's nothing better than knowing about 100 people who have the same car as you :) .

Maplins do do a variety of connectors and pins too, or if you get stuck try a local Bosch dealer/distributor there is a catalog with all the OE type connectors for different manufacturers.

Agree with Shude on this one, easier to get it from a dealer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom