Where did that deer come from

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bunny55

Car
W202 Saloon
There I am only 2 miles from work when next thing - bang this young deer appeared from nowhere and hit the side of the W202.

Before I knew it, he was over the hedge and gone before I could get his insurance details. :eek:

Front wing dented but repairable
Drivers door dented but repairable
Rear door needs replacing
Drivers door mirror needs replacing.

And I was going to advertise this week to sell !!!! :wallbash:

Garage next door at work has estimated £1,200 using a second hand door.

I have protected no claims, I'm sure it will be written off, but will my premiums rise by much next year I wonder.

Not sure I would involve insurance company for a £1200 claim given that premiums will be higher for a few years after, NCD or not.

How much would a quote be for cash? If its just wing and door, it might even be less than your excess.

I've been quoted £100 for second hand door and door mirror.

They are the wrong colour. A mate estimates £200 per panel for prep and spraying. Although the door may be slightly more. Estimate £800 if I get it done myself.

I'm tempted to try and source a second hand door and door mirror in the correct colour, fit those myself and sell the car as is. The dent in the front wing is a 6" diameter one and the drivers door has three dents low down which are not bad, no paint is missing excepy on the rear door which needs replacing.

The car is really good, no rust, unmarked interior and only 82k on the clock. I'm really p*ssed off :wallbash:

sounds more like you hit a rhino!
frown.gif

Deer can do a lot of damage, down 'ere in sunny zummerset we get a lot of deer who have no road sense at all, and they are heavy beasts when they hit a car.

Oh Dear,excuse the pun,you can get panels very cheap from Trents Breakers,look them up
on line,got myself a rear door for my 202 from them about a month ago,in the right colour as well for £22, they have a fixed price policy for panels whatever the manufacturer.got to be worth a trip to Poole Dorset.

Not sure I would involve insurance company for a £1200 claim given that premiums will be higher for a few years after, NCD or not.

How much would a quote be for cash? If its just wing and door, it might even be less than your excess.

Last time I had a claim - 15 years ago - for a similar amount, I ended up paying far more in increased premiums over the following years.

Sadly, even with NCD protection, they still increase the premium if you had a claim. Said that, if you have the highest level of NCD protection, then maybe the additional premium cost will not be that high.

I haven't claimed in over 10 years, but I think the repair cost will write the car off, I think the cars worth £1,400ish, the insurers will probaly think £1,000ish and the repair is £1,200ish.

It always happens at the wrong time doesn't it !! :(

Insurers normally ask if you have had an accident (whether your fault or not) in the last xyrs, not have you made a claim.

As no other vehicles are involved I'd be inclined to get the damage sorted yourself and not declare it. It's amazing how much they manage to put premiums up, even with a 'protected' NCB, and after paying the excess and a higher premium for the next 5 years DIY can look like the best option.
They're heavy, damaging creatures to hit at speed, but think of what was probably done to the deer.

Is it just me or does the young deer springing out in front of bunny (the OP) make anyone else think of this :dk:;)

bambi.jpg

Two weeks into the ownership of my first Benz ('61 C250 Coupe) I was unfortunate enough to have a lorry spear tackle a small Muntjack (Little dear spelt incorrectly) into the bonnet / drivers side door.

For such a small animal (About the size of a large dog) they are pure muscle and their hooves seem to be made of titanium. Either way my wing mirror was thrust through my open window hitting me in the face and cutting my cheek shallowly. The razor sharp glass/plastic cocktail then rested on my passenger seat without damaging any internal upholstry which pleased me.

The deer proceeded to get stuck between the lorry and my drivers side door/rear panels with its hooves banging against the 2 week old paint on my vehicle. It was quite dark so I was anticipating major damage but I couldn't believe how lightly I'd got off. Small scrape (wouldnt call it a scratch) on the bonnet which was removable with Autoglym paint renovator and a few dents which I've recently had removed by these Paintless repair people. Of course had to buy new mirror glass and housing although the motorised arm was intact and a new fuel flap which the dear kindly removed for me. Believe it or not got new mirror components (pre painted) for £123 all in and the fuel flap cost me even more.

I was quite shaken after the incident as I'd never had a bump in any of my cars and the lorry driver was very kind and asked me to give them a call in the morning as he said he'd failed to spot it. They paid for the dent repair and reimbursed me £200 for the other components. True gentlemen ! In short, I feel your pain.

Just as an addition to my post above, I bumped a deer in the X5 which was a full sized stag (at about 40MPH) and it just bounced off. I stopped and it got up and charged at me so just got back into the car and drove off !

The deer are rising up against the road user !

No comfort or help I know, but it could have been a lot worse. I assume no one was hurt.
It brings home the reality of such a chance misfortune and rare accident. I think I need to take more notice of the warning signs for Deer in future.

Don't know if you've seen this before BMW Z4

No, you're quite right. It was just a shallow few glass scratches on my face and obviously a minor panic ensued.
I once saw a brand new (still had white plastic wrap) Audi TT which had been totally demolished by a deer near my Lechlade home.

There were bits of TT and deer at least 200 meters back so goodness knows why what I assume was a delivery driver for a prestige brand was driving so fast.

Thankfully no-one but the deer was hurt.

Are you sure you have to advise your insurance company, surely it was the Deer that had the accident not the OP. :D

I am 21 and as such the insurance premium was by no means worth reporting for under 500 quids worth of damage.

I almost died walking round the front of the car anticipating a crushed front end but to my surprise nothing but a few hairs wrapped around the grill !

PS on a side note, do we say "Grille" or "Grill"

Are you sure you have to advise your insurance company, surely it was the Deer that had the accident not the OP.
biggrin.gif

As the deer was running free and lived in the woods, I assume it belongs to the realm, therefore can I ask her majesty for her insurance details and make a no blame claim, where's that tv advert ??

Is it just me or does the young deer springing out in front of bunny (the OP) make anyone else think of this :dk:;)

bambi.jpg

I never did like Bambi, but Thumper is my hero !! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom