Where do you store your mobile - W221

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScoobyDooLondon

Car
Mercedes S320 CDI 2008
Whilst driving I pair my iPhone 6 with the car's Bluetooth.

However, I just leave the phone in my pocket, simply because I have no where else to put/dock the phone.

I hate those on-dash mounts, prefer something discreet.

Where do you guys leave your mobile whilst driving?

Oops just noticed model number.

Last edited:
It is technically illegal to use a mobile phone if it needs to be held for 'any part of the call'.

This was aimed at people using hands-free kits, ie dialing with one hand then putting the phone down while talking.

The only legal way to use a phone while driving, used to be by fixing it in a cradle.

With built-in BT in modern cars, the phone can remain in the pocket, however I am not sure if the legislation caught up with this - police may have different views.

I suppose if you placed your phone in the glove compartment you would have a better case to argue than if it was in your pocket, but I don't know.

My own phone is placed in a windscreen-mounted bracket, because I use Waze when driving in town (and COMAND when driving on motorways / A roads).

I also fitted a 2.1A charger straight into the dash fusebox so it gets charged when I drive.

I rarely make or take phone calls while driving though.

yes in the pocket for me to

In the pocket and that is fully legal at least according to EU laws, not sure if local regulations differ.

The pocket however is not good at times now that I've moved to a more modern phone. All my old ones used to support BT SAP where I was able to make use of the external car roof antenna for calls, even when the phone remained in my pocket.

Placed in a Brodit powered mount so it charges whilst I drive and so I can make and receive calls legally

In my pocket, and yes I am pleased to see you !!

Sorry I could not resist

Last edited:
In my pocket and I stop to take/make calls.

Hmmm

I've identified the top section of the centre console as an ideal place to house the phone, so it's discreet.

My W221 already has the MB Bluetooth device so unable to fit a cradle in there.

Anyone created a custom housing for a mobile in that section? Pictures would be great.

Whats wrong with the door pocket? thats where mine goes when im in the car :)

Door pocket? Nah.. Phone will get bounced around all over the place!

Not if it is firmly wedged between the (optimistic) sunglasses, box of (expired) sweets, a couple of (inoperative) ELM BT ODBII adaptors, and the odd pack of (unused!) tissue paper that normally occupy the space.

Placed in a Brodit powered mount so it charges whilst I drive and so I can make and receive calls legally

... although not necessarily safely

I don't have a 221 but, assuming that most cars have a similar layout, I keep mine in the armrest while charging off the Viseeo BT adapter.

While proper hands-free is legal I'm not prepared to feel guilty for using my phone while driving, it's a vital business tool.

knighterrant said:
... although not necessarily safely

Perfectly safely I don't buy into all this distraction mularkey it's no different to talking to someone in the passenger seat

However if it is a complex conversation say someone asks me to work something out and I had to do fairly complex mental maths I wouldn't do it I would do it when stopped and call them back

Common sense should always prevail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom