Covid-19 Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they think they do. And it makes a great sell to management.

But the reality is that:

1) they tie the purchase to an identifier (credit card, phone, loyalty card) which is not necessarily the person using the product
2) they don't see purchases made elsewhere

So you get an incomplete picture.

So an example - a buyer procures disposable nappies in bulk once every two months. A parent? Well turns out its a grandparent. Children in the household? No they drop off at their daughter's house because she doesn't have a car. Daughter buys from a different supermarket on her own loyalty card - and avoids readymade baby food because she liquidises and mixes her own from fresh ingredients. So she's down on the computer as living alone - and her choice of ingredients categorises her as a particular kind of eater.

As I said - great sell to management - particularly if you run a demo that gives great graphs.

true enough.. but the above was a general example, not meant to be specific. I understand from colleagues they analyse repeated patterns not individual transactions..

Then of course we have the use of facial recognition cameras in the UK. Which on the face of it appears to break every rule in the book.

does that apply to mug shots and identikit photos?

As an aside, a friend of mine in was Tech Director for Pipex/WorldComm who were a pretty big cheese at the time. A salesman trucked up trying to sell the latest tech his company had developed, but Paul didn't see a future in it so declined the opportunity for an exclusive deal.

Was an early version of software which could track a companies salespeople via their bricks (aka early mobile phones) Not that any salesperson ever said he was out on the road when in fact he/she was in their garden. Not me anyway.......

I'm not particularly convinced about GDPR - it just adds hassle without protection. Real protection means very very tough controls on some companies and strict data borders.

GDPR certainly caused me a lot of hassle at work and for no great purpose. On the whole I welcome it as a step in the right direction, If nothing else it's opened peoples eyes to what's going on and with some positive results. Web sites are gradually adopting minimal cookies as the default and anyone that carelessly loses your personal data is getting hit with a big fine. The technology titans are going to be a tougher nut to crack.

GDPR is completely OTT. Talk about hammer to crack a nut. Typical EU gold plating. what a terrible waste of time, effort and resources.

GDPR is completely OTT. Talk about hammer to crack a nut. Typical EU gold plating. what a terrible waste of time, effort and resources.

True, but it's a bit OT...

The relevance of GDPR to this thread, is that private commercial organisations cannot simply come-up with new innovate ideas how to track us and collect data about us, so at least these organisations can be removed from the paranoia list...

Meanwhile-- back in the real world---coming to a Nike Town in your high street soon . :wallbash:

Corona Virus 2-- I'm Back!

Could it just be a ruse by the Chinese pushing the blame back towards European salmon producers as the source of this outbreak? Very versatile virus, starts off in bats, ends up in salmon.

But according to some; what's the problem? This virus doesn't really kill people in significant numbers anyway. Nothing to see here, move on...

After 24 days of no confirmed new cases New Zealand has now reported 2 both in the same family, returning from the UK ....

After 24 days of no confirmed new cases New Zealand has now reported 2 both in the same family, returning from the UK ....
Ah, but did they die of the virus or simply with the virus? If the latter, maybe they would have just died anyway so doesn't count...

Ah, but did they die of the virus or simply with the virus? If the latter, maybe they would have just died anyway so doesn't count...

Case aint casket.

Also the US sees a rise in infections, more so in BLM demonstrations hotspots.

Trump, as always, maintains his "This isn't happening, falks" policy, 'explaining' the increase in infections by the increase in testing, while ignoring statistical data showing that the rise in rate of infection is much higher than that of the testing.

To be fair to Trump though, his policy of reopening businesses at all cost and bringing back the economy from the brink, while may be related to the elections in the US, is also echoed by many others around the globe, including the UK, and on this very forum and thread.

The 2 women (one in her 30s and one in her 40s) in New Zealand are not dead.They are statistically highly unlikely to die due to their ages.

One women is reported to have mild symptoms but this is due to a pre-exisiting condition.

The other womens symptoms are not mentioned so i assume that means she has no symtoms but has tested positive.

The 2 women (one in her 30s and one in her 40s) in New Zealand are not dead.They are statistically highly unlikely to die due to their ages.

One women is reported to have mild symptoms but this is due to a pre-exisiting condition.

The other womens symptoms are not mentioned so i assume that means she has no symtoms but has tested positive.

'Pre-existing condition'? She's as good as a goner then.

'Pre-existing condition'? She's as good as a goner then.
Seems unlikely if her pre exisiting condition gave her flu like symptoms. Hardly life threatening. Unless of course she had respiratory problems but why would anyone fly if that was the case.

Oh I know it goes against the prevailing wisdom, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the reason she has symptoms is because she actually came into contact with the coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom