Covid-19 Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please ignore previous post - below is the latest version with no (or fewer?) errors...

According to some contemporary thinkers, the greatest inequality that awaits us in future generations will be in healthcare. Look-up Harari, for example.

The rich always enjoyed a better life, with some health advantages resulting from being able to avoid risk factors such as certain types of manual labour, pollution, poor diet, etc, and from having better access to doctors and medicines.

But the breakthrough that we will see in future generations will make all this pale in comparison. The future of health care goes well beyond access to doctors and drugs; we are looking at transplants of lab-grown organs, cure for serious or terminal illness via genetic engineering, various life-extending and anti-ageing treatments that will potentially allow - those who can afford them - to live a healthy, disease-free life, reaching a three-figure age while remaining physically and mentally young.

The one thing we can be sure of, is that this will all be very very expensive. And in a generation or two this will be the key differentiator between the poor and the rich. And it will be far more significant than any gap we had historically between the princes and the paupers of this world.

So we are looking at a potential future where the rich will not only live much more comfortable and healthier lives, which is how it was over the past centuries, but also the rich will live much longer and will remain younger... and potentially even immune and premature death.

Communism can't stop this inequality from happening... e.g. there's no doubt that when this becomes a reality, the wealthy people in China will have access to the technology and science well before the rest of their (by then) 2 Billion population will.

Western countries are trying to mitigate this massive potential inequality via their social and public healthcare systems - e.g. the NHS in the UK, or the (now defunct) Obamacare in the US. But even so, the population in what we usually refer to as Western countries (West Europe, North America, Australia & NZ, and Japan) amount to just about 20% of the world's overall population. The majority of people living in South America, Africa, East Europe, Asia, etc, do not have - and will not have - access to the advanced and expensive life-extending medical sciences.

This state of affairs will make the pharmaceuticals very happy, for two reasons. The first is that the Holly Grail for them has always been any treatment that extends life and at the same time makes the patient dependent on it - this is a guaranteed income for years to come. The second is that they are only really interested in those markets and patients who can afford to pay for their treatment and drugs.

What works against the pharmaceuticals, are organisations such as Governments, the WHO, and various Charities and Foundations who force the pharmaceuticals into making their drugs and treatments available to poorer people and to poorer counties. Look-up 'Voluntary License', for example, which allows Indian factories to manufacture almost any patented drug they like without paying royalties, as long as it's for internal consumption in India. Almost all of the initiatives for vaccinations and availability of medications and treatments in the developing world originate from bodies who seek to compel the pharmaceuticals into parting with their well-guarded Intellectual Property for the greater good.

There is also some commercial logic to it, because the pharmaceuticals are requested to give-away their IP only in markets that would not have been able to pay for their products in the first place, so any 'loss of income' is on paper only - in reality there would have been little revenue from these markets anyway. The risk for the pharmaceuticals, however, is that some of these medicines manufactured locally will find their way via scruples traders into Western markets where they will be sold at cut-prices and undermine the pharmaceuticals ability to recoup their R&D investment within the protected patent period (20 years).

The modern Luddites, who oppose these initiatives through fear and ignorance, or those who distrust the organisations promoting these initiatives simply because they cannot fathom why would anyone be doing something that does not server their own financial interests, are in fact working against the 80% of the world population who stand to benefit from spreading of the benefits of otherwise-unaffordable medical treatments beyond the 20% who reside in Western countries. I can only imagine how pharmaceuticals' bosses look at all these conspiracy theories with a smirk.
Very interesting. One question i would ask is why would anyone with the money to have these space age life extending procedures want to live in a world where the masses around them were so disadvantaged.

The wealthy would be so different they might as well live on another planet (Elon Musk's idea i believe). It is like that Monty Python quote where you can tell who the King is because he does not have shit all over him.

Not a positive way to live.

Very interesting. One question i would ask is why would anyone with the money to have these space age life extending procedures want to live in a world where the masses around them were so disadvantaged...

I am not a billionaire, clearly, so I can only guess what the answer is, but personally I doubt very much that billionaires want the masses around them to be disadvantaged.

Some actually do not want the masses around them to be disadvantaged and actively initiate charitable work to help others. Some are probably indifferent and just don't care either way. But I really don't see why Gates or Bezos or Zuckerberg or Soros ot Buffett etc etc would actively want people to be poor.

I think it's mostly a myth against those who have, perpetrated by those who have not .

Reactions: GLK
Have you not seen the film Elysium. The rich will soon be asking why do we need the poor.

Why do you think all western governments are happy to look at drones and robots etc. Under the guise of saving grunts lives it gives the military control of a device that will have no problem attacking its own citizens....something must human army people in the west would not dream off doing. As the military is just an adjunct of the rich and their power projection it keeps them safe from the poor when the disparities get so large that we revolt.....Now how is that for a dystopian view with a large portion of conspiracy theory thrown in o_O

5G infecting us with viruses... vaccines clandestinely implementing microchips inside our bodies... and now drones and robots developed by governments in order the exterminate their own citizens. What can I say...?

5G infecting us with viruses... vaccines clandestinely implementing microchips inside our bodies... and now drones and robots developed by governments in order the exterminate their own citizens. What can I say...?
Don't worry, I don't believe that....I was just stirring the pot.....what I do believe its the human species needs to mature, and quickly. We need to share resources more equally and one of the first places to look is tax havens. We certainly did not invent then for our benefit did we....and that is no conspiracy.

the 5g EMF waves disrupt the cells in our body causing cancer and other nasties "dont know where the viruses bit is from"

Don't worry, I don't believe that....I was just stirring the pot.....what I do believe its the human species needs to mature, and quickly. We need to share resources more equally and one of the first places to look is tax havens. We certainly did not invent then for our benefit did we....and that is no conspiracy.

Agreed, 'tax havens' shouldn't really be allowed to exist, but no government seem to have managed to tackle this as yet....

It has always been the way in manufacturing to eliminate as many human jobs as you possibly can via technology. This plan does not give the person who's job has been taken more leisure time it just gives them more time to look for another job.

I have seen it with my own eyes many times in many factories, from driver-less forklift trucks to camera led robots discarding 'wonky' croissants from a production line .

It might be called a drive for better accuracy/output/safety but the end result is always the same . Less humans on the production line.

It has always been the way in manufacturing to eliminate as many human jobs as you possibly can via technology. This plan does not give the person who's job has been taken more leisure time it just gives them more time to look for another job.

I have seen it with my own eyes many times in many factories, from driver-less forklift trucks to camera led robots discarding 'wonky' croissants from a production line .

It might be called a drive for better accuracy/output/safety but the end result is always the same . Less humans on the production line.
I recall from school days that we would all be letting robots take the strain and that there was a need for much more in the way of leisure facilities to take up all of the extra spare time we would have. Also there was a need for more and better old people's homes because of the robots doing all the work we were going to live to a ripe old age.

At least one of them came true.

Robots don't buy stuff and pay taxes - and the unemployed are somewhat limited in that too. There isn't much that we are doing that is sustainable. Where it ends is anyone's guess.

From the Internet.... e.g.:

lol CUS you can believe the BBC

Seems to be as many articles that say it's safe...

Last edited:
Robots don't buy stuff and pay taxes - and the unemployed are somewhat limited in that too. There isn't much that we are doing that is sustainable. Where it ends is anyone's guess.

Not quite a Robot, but my Alexa can buy me stuff and put my Lights on, unfortunately Catering has not been introduced, yet! 🤭

They are all in with the Eu and the Larger Agenda for what is coming, 5g is needed for the infrustrature .
I was hoping for something specific rather than wooly wibble but, maybe, that was asking too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom