Covid-19 Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post 2919, the post i was replying to, introduces the notion that the currency we use to pay for services from tech companies is our data.

Something they made up to legitimise the practice of data farming which could be likened to your window cleaner selling photos of the interior of your home to a 3 rd party just because he has access to the view.

NOT quite because for that situation to be parallel the window cleaner would have to wash all your windows for nothing! Perhaps users of this new "connected world" should be more aware off the old maxim "There's no such thing as a free lunch! " ;)

What is their "self" interest ?
The B&M Gates Foundation is in fact 2 entities. The Foundation and the Foundation Trust.

The Foundation does the giving and the Trust invests funds commercially via normal investment means.

Ergo the Trust's aim is to maximise their considerable assets. This is what i mean by self interest.

The Foundation can demand at any time all profits from the Trust but this would seem an unlikely scenario.

Here is an example of the Foundation Trusts commercial investments...

Gates Foundation Trust Invests in Private Prisons—Again

“The endowment that funds the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is independently managed by a separate entity, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Trust,” the spokesperson said. “Foundation staff have no influence on Trust investment decisions, and no visibility into the trust’s investment strategies or holdings, other than what is publicly available via required public disclosures, such as the annual tax return (Form 990).”

Last edited:
The B&M Gates Foundation is in fact 2 entities. The Foundation and the Foundation Trust.

The Foundation does the giving and the Trust invests funds commercially via normal investment means.

Ergo the Trust's aim is to maximise their considerable assets. This is what i mean by self interest.

The Foundation can demand at any time all profits from the Trust but this would seem an unlikely scenario.

Here is an example of the Foundation Trusts commercial investments...

Gates Foundation Trust Invests in Private Prisons—Again

“The endowment that funds the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is independently managed by a separate entity, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Trust,” the spokesperson said. “Foundation staff have no influence on Trust investment decisions, and no visibility into the trust’s investment strategies or holdings, other than what is publicly available via required public disclosures, such as the annual tax return (Form 990).”

OK, but what has this got to do with anything, and in what way will we be better-off if we replaced our own respreseative democracy that evolved over hundreds of years, with a simplistic popular vote system that was in use in Greece 3,000 years ago?

(No disrespect to any Greek members on here)

NOT quite because for that situation to be parallel the window cleaner would have to wash all your windows for nothing! Perhaps users of this new "connected world" should be more aware off the old maxim "There's no such thing as a free lunch! " ;)
The Ring doorbell is £179.00 in Currys at the moment. RRP is £229.00. It is not free.

The Ring doorbell is £179.00 in Currys at the moment. RRP is £229.00. It is not free.
I'll ask again.... what's the connection between the Ring doorbell and the topic of this thread?

OK, but what has this got to do with anything, and in what way will we be better-off if we replaced our own respreseative democracy that evolved over hundreds of years, with a simplistic popular vote system that was in use in Greece 3,000 years ago?

(No disrespect to any Greek members on here)
By OK i take it you accept that The Gates Foundation Trust is one of the largest hedge funds in existence and the resulting philanthropy of the Gates Foundation (not Trust) is as a result of profits gained via it. It is not personal wealth that is donated but profits from the hedge fund.

By OK i take it you accept that The Gates Foundation Trust is one of the largest hedge funds in existence and the resulting philanthropy of the Gates Foundation (not Trust) is as a result of profits gained via it. It is not personal wealth that is donated but profits from the hedge fund.

I didn't fact-check it, but I'll take your words for it. Not sure what the issue is though, or how is this related to COVID-19? Other than the Foundation providing finance (by one means or another) to vaccine research.

I'll ask again.... what's the connection between the Ring doorbell and the topic of this thread?
I originally mentioned the Ring product (the context was Facebook farming data via this product without the users consent or agreement) as an aside and was just replying to another post if that is alright with you.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I originally mentioned the Ring product (the context was Facebook farming data via this product without the users consent or agreement) as an aside and was just replying to another post if that is alright with you.

Great... so back to COVID-19 then.

(Waiting for my comment to go viral)

According to Russia it all started in Porton Down. Now you've established it wasn't applied to a door handle but put into a door bell disguised as perfume.
If nowt else your ring smells better.

They started it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom