Covid-19 Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

INFODEMIC!
You are one of them...

BBC website has this little gem hidden away deep in the news feed on Coronavirus.

County 'faces thousands of job losses as furlough goes'
A report from a national consultancy firms says Cumbria could have the highest rate in the country of jobs at risk because of coronavirus.
Grant Thornton says 146,000 jobs could be at risk, which equates to nearly two-thirds of all jobs in the county, as the furlough system is phased out over the next few months.

Two-thirds of all jobs may be lost in Cumbria post furlough scheme.

What are these people expected to do?

And ISTR that back then it was understood that moving on from lockdown would be difficult to manage.

My position is middle ground. I think the lockdown was too severe. But I also understand it is difficult to control and manage. I don't have any issue with politicians who have been making actual decisions - whether I agree or not. I do have isssues with those politicians who have been trying to take the high ground while avoiding taking actual decisions (Ms Sturgeon is the prime example - quite happy to twiddle thumbs while sounding assertive and putting on a act of being superior).
I think the lockdown is more severe than it ought to be too, but at that stage of the pandemic, with the reaction from the public to the UK Government’s original plan, with the sensationalist UK media, and most importantly the inability of the average UK citizen to do what is asked - and even some doing the opposite of what is asked - then the severe lockdown was absolutely necessary.

Whilst it’s following a quote from Dryce, this isn’t in response to Dryce: It’s very easy to criticise other people’s difficult decisions, when the most difficult decision the criticiser must make is which thing to criticise next. It’s even easier to criticise later, when the original decision had to be made without the benefit of hindsight.

I suspect that the people who criticise most have not been in the situation where they must make very difficult decisions which affect the lives of others, and are accountable for the consequences of making a decision to do something or not do something.

BBC website has this little gem hidden away deep in the news feed on Coronavirus.

County 'faces thousands of job losses as furlough goes'
A report from a national consultancy firms says Cumbria could have the highest rate in the country of jobs at risk because of coronavirus.
Grant Thornton says 146,000 jobs could be at risk, which equates to nearly two-thirds of all jobs in the county, as the furlough system is phased out over the next few months.

Two-thirds of all jobs may be lost in Cumbria post furlough scheme.

What are these people expected to do?

Please feel free to not reply, but out of interest what do you do for a living and are you actively working at the moment?

I suspect that the people who criticise most have not been in the situation where they must make very difficult decisions which affect the lives of others, and are accountable for the consequences of making a decision to do something or not do something.

Not helped by a media which seems to be less considered and in some cases more personally vindictive.

Indeed. Apparently virtual employment is all the rage in the New Normal.
Virtual employment to do virtual working from a virtual home. You couldn't make it up, except that you can...

I thought it was already understood that at some point the universe will disappear up its on backside?

Since we are stil seeing around 800 new cases every day, where are these people catching it? if everyone was following guidelines it should be decreasing not the slight increases that we are seeing

Since we are stil seeing around 800 new cases every day, where are these people catching it? if everyone was following guidelines it should be decreasing not the slight increases that we are seeing

My initial response would be to blame the young for spreading it in pubs but a more considered response would be to ask if it's really increasing.

The 7 day moving average of daily new cases has clearly been rising slowly for the last 3 weeks which may just be the result of increased testing because deaths are still falling. To be honest I don't have real faith in either measure. What I would really like to see is up to date information on hospital admissions which seems less likely to have any fudge factors. Anyone know where a graph of hospital; admissions can be found.

Edit:

I managed to find daily admissions for England which is only a few days out of date and they are still falling.

daily cases.PNG

daily deaths.PNG

Admissions.PNG

Last edited:

Some don't give a toss (I see them every day... :( ), some can't avoid it - if you're out and about for work or otherwise (shopping etc), exercising social distancing and facemask etc will reduce your chances of catching it, but won't eliminate it altogether.

My initial response would be to blame the young for spreading it in pubs but a more considered response would be to ask if it's really increasing.

The 7 day moving average of daily new cases has clearly been rising slowly for the last 3 weeks which may just be the result of increased testing because deaths are still falling. To be honest I don't have real faith in either measure. What I would really like to see is up to date information on hospital admissions which seems less likely to have any fudge factors. Anyone know where a graph of hospital; admissions can be found.

View attachment 100447

View attachment 100448
Hospital admissions are in this link. The graphs are interactive (and are updated so save the link and check back at a later date)

50 Covid-19 hospital cases in the UK 31/07/20 (admissions that day)
67 C-19 Critical care beds occupied in UK 03/08/20 (in total)
767 people in hospital with c-19 in UK 03/08/20 (in total)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom