Covid-19 Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be disappointed to hear that one of your heros, Trump, has always had an aversion to touching people and has carried sanitiser for many years for use when he cannot avoid shaking hands. Off his nut!
I hear Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. quite enjoys touching people whenever he can.

Are you referring to this?:

If so, then perhaps it should be posted in this thread instead:

And it's difficult to believe that Trump didn't enjoy occasional touching, even if he did carry sanitiser.
It's not hard to imagine what Putin reminded him of in Helsinki that later gave Putin the most smug expression I have ever seen him with.

Last edited:
Are you referring to this?:

If so, then perhaps it should be posted in this thread instead:

I take it you have also sent a message to Dr Feelgood with regards to his off topic post (one of many i may add) regarding President Trump? The post i was replying to?

Trump's COVID-19 'facts' (13:15-16:45)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And, given that The New York Times is one of Trump's most outspoken critics, he should have anticipated that they will fact-check his statements from the press briefing earlier this week:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So you say "You, I or the majority are unable to avoid potential infection.". Well it's not that absolute. "Can we be 100% sure our hands didn't go to our faces prior to washing our hands, in many scenarios?" Well even if you do touch your face it's not 100% chance that you'll infect yourself -and also if you do not touch your face taht's not a guarantee that you won't be infected.

You could stand face to face with somebody coughing and spluttering with the disease and its not guaranteed that you will be infected. Equally every *practical* measure you take to avoid infection in principle reduces your chance of picking up infection but it's about reduction to a low probability rather than zero probability.

The reality seems to be that people are not being infected en-masse by going to supermarkets and receiving mail. The risks are low.

Hygeine offers two way protection. It means spread by contact is less likely from infected people to objects they touch - and less likely from objects to uninfected people. And it's not about eliminating the virus to 0 - just below thresholds at which it is likely to infect.

No argument with any of that, I wasn't suggesting absolute, as in 'majority'. Reducing risk is intelligent.

But aside from national and sub national legislation and even a more local legislation that some here would create have me abide by there is opportunity of personal choice in the risks acceptable, or not, in daily life.
Of prime importance is respect for others views on this, especially as so much is still guess work. In London at w/e we used the over ground tube bit (step daughter says it is far less busy than the underground). On returning a largish group boarded at Canning Town. No masks and no attempt to keep distance. Fine if they are willing to get close and personal with each other, but not me and mine.
There is suggestion that much of our increases in infections regionally is coincidentally culture associated. I felt this on the tube.

Mods feel free to remove if considered culturally insensitive.

Reducing risk is intelligent, and imho it's reasonable to find your own balance between that and living what life is still available.

And it's difficult to believe that Trump didn't enjoy occasional touching, even if he did carry sanitiser.
It's hard to imagine what Putin reminded him of in Helsinki that later gave Putin the most smug expression I have ever seen him with.
Indeed you are probably correct. Howard Hughes used to just repeatedly wash his hands with soap and water according to legend. No hand sanitiser back then i suppose.

Reducing risk is intelligent, and imho it's reasonable to find your own balance between that and living what life is still available.

There's an issue of everybody buying into the cumulative mitigation.

Life isn't always fair - and I think the discipline and dilligence by a a lot of people is still acting to protect many of those who are less responsible or dilligent.

One issue is isolation. I'm not convinced that people really understand (or perhaps are willing to take in) the ramifications of isolating if somebody in your household is infected - and that those who are no infeted can end up isolating for longer.

While I don't like the idea of having 'moral' police - it might be a good idea to make a big point of enforcing distancing and masks on public transport.

While I don't like the idea of having 'moral' police - it might be a good idea to make a big point of enforcing distancing and masks on public transport.

If I understand this as a suggestion of what I might have done in response on Saturday evening at 10pm ish.
The platforms are awash with signage. If reading isn't peoples strong point the tannoy is repeatedly telling of the control.
Those ignoring this are ignoring with intent. It follows that if I approach one or more there would 'very' possibly be an adverse response. Priority is to be sure my 2 ladies are safe, but to (in their view possibly) invite a response I considered that splashing blood would create a greater risk of infection, and ruin my face mask.

If I understand this as a suggestion of what I might have done in response on Saturday evening at 10pm ish.

You're misunderstanding it as a personal suggestion.

Reactions: m80
It's the BBC, don't believe a word of it.....
Good call, anyone who knows Aberdeen will know it would be impossible to close the bars near the docks in Aberdeen without resorting to extreme force. Maybe send the army in Nicola to get them off the bar stools.

Sturgeon has gone insane.

Quite the opposite.

Actually taken a decision. That's called leadership. I normally moan she's all style no substance. If she wants to prove me wrong then good on her.

Are Aberdeen docks still wide open for International shipping? And the airport (Flight Radar shows plenty of traffic to/from ABD)?

Last edited:
...further down the page is an uncharacteristically informative and reasoned article by Nick Triggle, their Health Correspondent:
Perhaps it ought to be compulsory reading for the rest of their editorial team?
...and the editorial team of most newspapers! Thanks for the link, I liked the article - ones like this are the reason I still read the BBC news website. They have been better than most news outlets at thinking wider with their analysis and quoting a range of scientists, not just the same old few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom