Covid-19 Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the various theories (conspiracy or otherwise) explain the recent exponential increase in postive test results, while the number of people being tested daily remains steady.

In other words, if the tests are total crap, then why they getting exponentially crapier by the day?

None of the complex scientific explanations regarding the inaccuracy of the tests explain the exponential rise is positive testing.

And yet, the most basic and simple explanation - that the rise on positive test result echoes the rise in actual infections - is being dismissed.

How does this make any sense?

I am suggesting instead of just a single £300 winter fuel payment, paid in arrears, the UK Government remove any chance of fuel poverty on the UK's elderly and cover all heating costs.

I'll be an old age pensioner in 3 week time but I'll still miss out on the winter fuel payment because on the qualifying date of Oct 5th I will be 7 days too young.

So no £300 for me. Am I doomed ?

Seriously, I think most pensioners have more money to spare than many working people with families at the moment. Did you also note that regardless of the inflation measure or anything else, the state pension is to rise again. Pensioners have never had it so good and I'm almost embarrassed that I'll be one next month.

I'll be an old age pensioner in 3 week time but I'll still miss out on the winter fuel payment because on the qualifying date of Oct 5th I will be 7 days too young.

Seriously, I think most pensioners have more money to spare than many working people with families at the moment. Did you also note that regardless of the inflation measure or anything else, the state pension is to rise again. Pensioners have never had it so good and I'm almost embarrassed that I'll be one next month.
:D

I suppose the key word here is "most" pensioners. Those that are in fuel poverty, meaning they restrict there heating use in fear of massive bills may just be the ones that are getting influenza that develops into pneumonia and end up on a hospital ward. Bearing in mind the protect the NHS mantra this should be avoided at all costs.

Far more people die of influenza/ pneumonia than Covid-19. See graph in post 3820 from ONS.

Does not take much to help them imho.

Last edited:

Only £200 for you.
You have to be over 75 to get the £300 allowance, although the BBC are taking half of that for the over 75's licence fee.:wallbash:

Because the PCR test cannot tell the difference between cv19, flu or any other infection.

Que the "fact checkers" and wiki preachers.

So the expansion is that there's a sudden dramatic increase in an unknown undetected asymptomatic infection, that just happens to coincide with SARS-COV-2? That's the more-plausible explanation then?

Why do I get the impression that any explanation - as unlikely as it may be - that seems to point to some sort of New World Order is immediately accepted in preference to the the simple and straightforward explanation - i.e. that the results are, in fact, what they are?

I suppose the key word here is "most" pensioners. Those that are in fuel poverty, meaning they restrict there heating use in fear of massive bills may just be the ones that are getting influenza that develops into pneumonia and end up on a hospital ward. Bearing in mind the protect the NHS mantra this should be avoided at all costs.

Far more people die of influenza/ pneumonia than Covid-19. See graph in post 3820 from ONS.

Does not take much to help them imho.

I agree. It wouldn't take much to help them if we have a have a targeted payment rather than throwing money at all the the relatively well off pensioners at a time when so many others are in need.

The chancellor has already thrown a vast amount of money at Covid. I was pleased to hear today that he is adopting the more sensible and much less costly German model to replace the furlough scheme. That should have happened months ago.

I agree. It wouldn't take much to help them if we have a have a targeted payment rather than throwing money at all the the relatively well off pensioners at a time when so many others are in need.

The chancellor has already thrown a vast amount of money at Covid. I was pleased to hear today that he is adopting the more sensible and much less costly German model to replace the furlough scheme. That should have happened months ago.

I agree as well. Only those on pension credit or other social benefit or council tax relief should get the winter fuel allowance.
Give it, and more, those those who really need it.

So the expansion is that there's a sudden dramatic increase in an unknown undetected asymptomatic infection, that just happens to coincide with SARS-COV-2? That's the more-plausible explanation then?

Why do I get the impression that any explanation - as unlikely as it may be - that seems to point to some sort of New World Order is immediately accepted in preference to the the simple and straightforward explanation - i.e. that the results are, in fact, what they are?
I’ve never met a human who doesn’t seek to prove themself right, and I include myself in that statement. So for those who believe a particular “thing” will latch on to anything else which might support their belief.

I agree as well. Only those on pension credit or other social benefit or council tax relief should get the winter fuel allowance.
Give it, and more, those those who really need it.
..and i would add do it now. Before the cold weather sets in.

w/e 11th Sept

99 Covid deaths, 1127 flu/ pneumonia deaths

Last edited:
I agree Brexit will not happen and to be fair it is small fry considering what else is now going on. By that i mean democracy has already been stopped by the Coronavirus Act 2020. Which has just been set in stone again for the next 6 months. Defying the will of people on Brexit will be easier because of this.

The chancellor proclaiming today that there are jobs that are unviable means he is working solely towards the establishment of a very different society. A new normal or a Great Reset.

If democracy ever comes around again i wonder what the masses will say is unviable?

Another theory i have read about is that all the obviously ridiculous contrived measures are being allowed to take place to make the public rebel. Problem reaction solution. National Governments fall because of this to be replaced by a one world government.
Brexit has already happened.

I’ve never met a human who doesn’t seek to prove themself right, and I include myself in that statement. So for those who believe a particular “thing” will latch on to anything else which might support their belief.
I said much the same thing several pages ago! Conspiracy theorists surround themselves with like minded people which in their mind proves them right.

Last edited:
I am in favour of any support we can give to old people. They deserve it. I don't need it myself, thankfully, but I would be in favour of others getting it. And, old age is the one thing that can't be exploited by benefit cheats....

I did a shed load of work and research on fuel poverty (which is broadly defined as when you’re spending more than 10% of your income on energy) three years ago and, on paper, OAP’s are disproportionately affected but, in reality, it’s a lot smaller.

One of the biggest “real world” differences we found was how frugal OAP’s really were, irrespective of income, and we actually found that the “better-off” they were, the more frugal they tended to be - we found many who could afford their energy bills comfortably but would rather put a coat (or two!) on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom