Where is auxiliary battery in w213 E220d located?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PMCP

Car
W213 E220D
Hi folks. I have a 2016 new model E220d with an auxiliary battery malfunction showing. Does anyone know where its located? I've checked under the bonnet, in the boot and under the back seat but no luck. Thanks

You will need to remove some nearby plastic mouldings and peel back the carpet to gain access to the battery area, and the fastenings can be undone with a 10mm socket. You should also disconnect the main battery before attempting the work.

Once the fastenings and the plastic cover are removed, you can take out the voltage converter by taking off a couple of small tabs. The voltage converter is also known as the capacitor, and can be easily sourced. It is a relatively common problem.

I thought the aux battery was no longer used - had one on my 2005 E320 d estate but did. To think there was one on my E400d estate - I'll take a look now. Good luck with the fix.

So I stripped the whole car down, boot, passenger footwell, everywhere basically but no auxiliary anywhere. Had another look under the bonnet and noticed that the main battery is an AGM stop start. Am I right in saying that this means there is definitely no auxiliary even though the car says "auxiliary battery malfunction"?

The old e320d had an aux battery for the SBC (sensortronic braking) which Inthink MB dropped 8-10 years ago. I don't think it is a battery anymore but a capacitor (See earlier post)

I've seen W205s with an aux battery:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And I've seen them without albeit with a "C8 Park Pawl capacitor" instead:

Screenshot-2019-02-04-at-19.09.25.png

So my guess is they were batteries at launch and they changed to capacitors later on although I don't know which year.

Both of these things are under the carpet in the passenger footwell.

I've read that the later module is prone to failure though.

However, the car still shows "aux battery" as the error regardless of which age.

This is only what I've read so I am not 100% certain!

If you can't see a battery in the passenger footwell from what you have seen, my guess is you have a capacitor...

Thanks Gavin and John. Think I'll order a capacitor. I'll let ye know how I fare. Thanks again

hi PMCP did you manage to fix the problem, I have same issue, don't know the location of the auxiliary battery

hi PMCP did you manage to fix the problem, I have same issue, don't know the location of the auxiliary battery
Look at post #10 above.

PMCP has not been back since May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom