Where is Crankshaft Position Sensor located on E280 CDi W211?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greengeeman

Car
W211 E280 Cdi
Afternoon all. My 2006 W211 E280 CDi has developed a distressing habit of cutting out completely, at the most inopportune of times. When this happens and assuming I've managed to avoid some unsuspecting soul rear ending me, I'm able to start the car again with no problem. The threads that I've read suggest that the Crankshaft Position Sensor could be at fault and so I went ahead and bought one. Unfortunately despite having looked around the engine for the location of the sensor, on a number of occasions, I cannot locate the blighter and I wondered if anybody could tell me where it is and whether I'm better off approaching it from above or below? Many thanks

O
Afternoon all. My 2006 W211 E280 CDi has developed a distressing habit of cutting out completely, at the most inopportune of times. When this happens and assuming I've managed to avoid some unsuspecting soul rear ending me, I'm able to start the car again with no problem. The threads that I've read suggest that the Crankshaft Position Sensor could be at fault and so I went ahead and bought one. Unfortunately despite having looked around the engine for the location of the sensor, on a number of occasions, I cannot locate the blighter and I wondered if anybody could tell me where it is and whether I'm better off approaching it from above or below? Many thanks
On my E320cdi 2009 , if you lie underneath it is above the starter motor . Not sure if you are pre facelift at 2006 ?
Side of the engine near where the gearbox meets it .

My experience was that it would cut out when warm, but only allow a restart after it had cooled some.
You might be better having the fault codes read.

In my 2005 C320CDI it was below a cover top and nearside of the bell housing.
I reached in from below the bonnet. I could feel the cover that was held bey a small screw, but as the cover lifted clear enough to get to the sensor I didn't remove it.
Unscrew the electrical connector and then with a long reach socket the sensor can be unscrewed.
It may have been a 17mm, but the new sensor would confirm that.

It requires some gynaecology expertise and the sharp cover can get your hands.

O

On my E320cdi 2009 , if you lie underneath it is above the starter motor . Not sure if you are pre facelift at 2006 ?
Side of the engine near where the gearbox meets it .

Thanks W1ghty. I'll have a look from underneath later on

My experience was that it would cut out when warm, but only allow a restart after it had cooled some.
You might be better having the fault codes read.

In my 2005 C320CDI it was below a cover top and nearside of the bell housing.
I reached in from below the bonnet. I could feel the cover that was held bey a small screw, but as the cover lifted clear enough to get to the sensor I didn't remove it.
Unscrew the electrical connector and then with a long reach socket the sensor can be unscrewed.
It may have been a 17mm, but the new sensor would confirm that.

It requires some gynaecology expertise and the sharp cover can get your hands.
Thanks m80. I'm going to have another look later on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom