Where is previous accident damage recorded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Is there a database that Joe Public can access where you can determine what accident repair has been done to a second hand car, through an insurance company

I've spoken to HPI and they record Cat A,B,C,D where the insurance company has paid out in full for the car, i.e, a write off, but not where the car has been accident repaired and not written off.

ABI doesn't have it
Insurance Ombudsman doesn't have it either.

Any ideas please?

Last edited:
In my experience !! There is no such database. If there was who would police it for accuracy?

My car has (at some point) been in an accident with every previous owner denying any knowledge of any accident. The car was bought on finance who say that all their checks show no accident having been declared.

If you crash it and fix it on the quiet then nobody knows until something prompts the discovery.

I seem to recall a story of a lady who tried to sue a dealer for selling her a brand new car that she subsequently found out had been crashed heavily while in the dealers ownership. The dealer had the car repaired and sold it her as a new car, failing to mention the accident and or repairs.

I believe that court ruled in the dealers favour as the car, although repaired was as new.

I may have dreamed all of that but it does ring my memory bells.

Last edited:
I would be amazed if such a database existed.
In effect, you are asking to know every single car insurance claim ever made.

There is no database, why do you ask though?

Because I'm very much a forewarned is forearmed person, who, whilst buying approved used Mercs for myself, buys more basic second hand cars for the wife.

The following is the CUE site - not available to the public, except under DPA disclosure for claims in your own name.

Not helpful for what you need, but the database does exist.

^ Just get a paint gauge, it will find any paint repair work.

Except on plastic panels Will.......remember my Smart car at Jay's GTG? :)

Except on plastic panels Will.......remember my Smart car at Jay's GTG? :)

Yes, but you can even buy a gauge for plastics as well. personally I wouldn't be bothered about damage to plastic panels.

The following is the CUE site - not available to the public, except under DPA disclosure for claims in your own name.

Not helpful for what you need, but the database does exist.

It there a link missing?

I wouldn't bother looking at a database as that won't show any repairs not paid for by insurance.

Plus you can never record DIY repairs that an owner chooses to do himself , or get a pal in the trade to fix on the quiet .

What if panels are repaced as the damage was significant, and/or the car had major stuctural work done?

What if panels are repaced as the damage was significant, and/or the car had major stuctural work done?

That's the nub of it Steve - you ought to be able to find out (by VIN) if a car has had a repair paid for by an insurance company. Bigger than the back street or a handy mate, but smaller than a write off.

I think it would be very useful when considering a particular car.

Pointless exercise - no such database would ever be accurate - eg privately arranged repairs, etc.

Paint thickness is a useful indicator but can be misleading if the vehicle has had new panels, for example.

I wouldn't be concerned as to whether or not a vehicle has had previous bodywork. Buy with your eyes - if something has been repaired properly it's of no issue whatsoever.

To put it another way - would anyone buy a car that was HPI clear and not on some insurance-approved repair database that was obviously in poor condition :eek:

Most cars get the odd scrape or damage during their lifetimes. It's almost inevitable for a used car to have had some repairs over the years :)

Don't mention rusty MBs either... :doh:

Good points there Will, the only bit I would disagree with is the paint gauge not finding damage.
If panels are painted and not blended into the next panel it's easy to see, if they are blended a PTG will always find the repair.

Did you see the results of checking Ollies W202 at his GTG? it was obvious which panels had been replaced.

Good points there Will, the only bit I would disagree with is the paint gauge not finding damage.
If panels are painted and not blended into the next panel it's easy to see, if they are blended a PTG will always find the repair.

Did you see the results of checking Ollies W202 at his GTG? it was obvious which panels had been replaced.

To be fair though DM, I said that Olly's W202 estate car had been painted as soon as I looked at it without using any measuring devices - just my eyes :D

You measured it with your Paint Thickness Gauge and said it was original.

Turned out the entire car had been resprayed in a totally different colour :doh:

It had a new bonnet fitted, hence the reading from your PTG which made you originally think it was original paint :p

Not having a dig, but just illustrating an example as to how relying on databases, paperwork or readings can be misleading :)

Will

To be fair though DM, I said that Olly's W202 estate car had been painted as soon as I looked at it without using any measuring devices - just my eyes :D

You measured it with your Paint Thickness Gauge and said it was original.

Turned out the entire car had been resprayed in a totally different colour :doh:

It had a new bonnet fitted, hence the reading from your PTG which made you originally think it was original paint :p

Will

The bonnet was the first bit I measured, after I checked the rest of the car the new panels were obvious.

Admit it..the special colour helped in your eyesight diagnosis...;) :D

Nope - we were both surprised when we lifted the bonnet to realise that it was a different colour underneath :thumb:

But I knew as soon as I saw the paint finish on the bonnet that was being polished that it wasn't original paint. The PTG couldn't see that, but I could ;) :D

I guess my point still remains - that car could well be HPI clear and not on some insurance database, but had lots of paintwork and new panels over the years.

No problems, but shows why the OP's question is of little use :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom