Where is the fuel pump ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

callingdx

Hi Gents, Can someone please tell me where the fuel pump is on my W124 E220 estate (1994)
I suspect it is next to the heater solenoid coils located in bulkhead bay on drivers side - am I right ?

Thanks for your reply - I'll have a good look tomorrow...........
What is the component that I was looking at, as I said it's located on the same bank as the heater valves and make a whirring type noise when energised with 12v.
I have no fuel supply to the rail and can't hear the pump running - luckily I still have my old E220 W124 saloon (with Tesco trolley modified door) so I turned on he ignition and heard this particular pump running - went to my estate and turned on the ignition and that particular pump was not running but had a 12v supply at the terminals - that's what made me think it was the fuel pump.
Any help on where the fuel pump relay is located, just in case that is the culprit ?- I don't know where that is either......some dummy 'eh !
Thanks, any assistance from forum members would be greatly appreciated
Hugh

The component beside the heater duo valves is a small circulation pump to help water to flow thro the heater heat exchanger. The fuel pump relay is located behind the black plastic cover behind the battery. It will be marked "Kickdown" + 4 Zyl or similar.

Thanks, I've located the relay - and I should have twigged the heater circ pump next to the valves.
Initial fault was car refusing to rev - ticking over for a few minutes then dying.
Anyhow I've removed the multi pin connector from the Lambda sensor and the car initially went like the clappers for 20 miles then started to really lose power - just about got home !
So the conundrum is..Is it the Lambda or the cat ?
Any geniuses out there?
Regards Hugh

Do you mean the MAS on the inlet system or the lambda sensor on the exhaust manifold??

I've changed the MAS (from my old w124) still the same problem.
I have totally disconnected the Lambda wiring - car goes for about 20 miles or so - then starts to really struggle for acceleration.
I don't know if the cat has gone pear shaped or if it is a fault with the fuel pump.
Looks like like it's axle stands time ?
Regards Hugh

I,M NOT SURE WHY YOU WANTED TO DISCONNECT THE LAMBDA SENSOR WHICH IS PRETTY ESSENTIAL FOR ACCURATE MIXTURE CONTROL RATHER THAN CHANGE IT? I WOULD GUESS THAT WITHOUT IT THE CAR ADOPTS SOME SORT OF DEFAULT FIXED MIXTURE AS AN EMERGENCY SETTING POSSIBLY IGNORING INPUTS FROM OTHER SENSORS LIKE THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE. THE FACT IT SEEMS TO RUN BETTER WITH IT DISCONNECTED MAY MEAN SOME OF THE OTHER ECU SENSORS ARE FAULTY AND NOT NECESSARILY THE LAMBDA?
p sorry about the cap letters my mistake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom