where is the inlet flap motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
hi a question , i want to check my inlet flap motor on my e320 yr 2000 cdi , i dont know where it is, i want to check the arm is working and the ball joint is in place.
If i stand facing the front of the car , where is it located , as i cant seem to see any arm or rod around the inlet manifold...

It is under the manifold and difficult to see. If its not working you will get a limp mode and lack of power.

To look at it, it is probably best to do it from underneath.

right update ,,, i went out just now to my car and located the motor , i can see it if i look dwn from top thru the inlet manifold.
I moved the motor and lo and behold the thin metal strip that attached to i guess a ball joint in the manifold was just hanging there not attached , now i started the engine out of curiousity to see what would happen and it started 1st time , and i revved it and it revved up to the redline and held a smooth idle ?? is this normal if this metal strip is just hanging there and not connected , also what is the outcome of just leaving it and carrying on driving , i think its been like this 4 quite a long time , sometimes i get no accelaration and sluggish responce , and if i turn off engine and restart then it seems to reset watever was causing poor performance and i get kickdown and it drives fine ?? i cant take manifold off to be honest i would not know were to start ?? like i said it seems to idle smooth and rev up to the redline the way it is

right update ,,, i went out just now to my car and located the motor , i can see it if i look dwn from top thru the inlet manifold.
I moved the motor and lo and behold the thin metal strip that attached to i guess a ball joint in the manifold was just hanging there not attached , now i started the engine out of curiousity to see what would happen and it started 1st time , and i revved it and it revved up to the redline and held a smooth idle ?? is this normal if this metal strip is just hanging there and not connected , also what is the outcome of just leaving it and carrying on driving , i think its been like this 4 quite a long time , sometimes i get no accelaration and sluggish responce , and if i turn off engine and restart then it seems to reset watever was causing poor performance and i get kickdown and it drives fine ?? i cant take manifold off to be honest i would not know were to start ?? like i said it seems to idle smooth and rev up to the redline the way it is
I had exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago,it had been like it since i bought the car in february,i simply clicked it back in to the motor and took it out for a dive,the change in performance was staggering,it took off like a scalded cat but left a smoke screen behind!!
i parked it up for 5 mins and took it out again,no smoke this time but not the performance as before..better than before i hooked the arm up but nothing like that first drive..Hook it back up and try it!!

hi thanks now an UPDATE ! just been out again to the car and started it up and revved manually by the throttle actuater under the bonnet and could see the moter working moving every time i revved , ive tried to connect the arm up to the joint but i couldnt , to fiddly not enuff room , however the other part that moves the long linkage that operates the flaps moves frrely ,i can move it 1 way or the other by hand , now my really important question im hoping someone can answer is this .
Until i get a new linkage what way is best for driving ie do i manually have the sindle that controls the flaps all the way back towards the bulkhead or forward toward the rad ??? by the way i moved it man ually while engine was running and i detected no difference at all , but which position best for driving , hope this makes sense

I may be wrong but if you start the engine it will open the flaps anyway and they will stay open...it is fiddly but you can do it,if i recall you can just get in to pull the lever up to pop it in on the motor arm,as i said mine is now loads better than before i done it but not as good as the first 10 mins of doing it!! dunno why that is!

hi trust me ive tried to connect it up the trouble is its the end that attaches 2 the linkage opp end of the motor , the rod is attached 2 the motor that is easy to get at , but the question i need answering is if i move the flap linkage manually by moving the linkage that attaches 2 the long strip of metal that opperates all the flaps which way should i have it all the way back or all the way forward , if its not attached to the moter then it wont move of its own accord and will stay in watever position i put it ??

I would have thought that if you leave it disconnected and start the engine it will open the flaps anyway so don't worry about the position of the arm..

are you def sure ? it does have some resistance , i dont mean to doubt you but i cant see how it would open by itself ? but would be nice to def know which way to have the actuator arm fully back or fully forward , obvoiusly i dont know which is best

update , just found out from internet that arm fully 4ward means swirl flaps fully open , and you are right what a difference ,, just took it 4 a blast and kick down wrks and it takes off like a scalded cat , no clouds of black smoke coming out exhaust like b4 ,, all good , cant see any downside ? unless someone can enlighten me , i might as well just leave them fully open and forget about connecting arm up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom