Where is the optical lead junction box?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robbruce

Car
C220 CDI Avantgade Estate with sport pack
Someone please tell me it's driving me mad Apicture would be even better.
:mad:

Thanks

Rob

Hi I am tying to get my CDChanger and phone to work They both show they are receiving power but neither talk to the car i have been told it is something to do with the optical leads all are presant and conected at the units but all seem to meet somewhere under the driver carpet. where?

They work in a loop with the headunit. There is no junction box from memory

Hi BlackC55, that being the case, if you only have the cd changer and that is connected opticaly to the head unit, then you buy a phone kit with more optical leads how do you connect the phone into the optical system when there is only one optical connection on the back of the head unit without some kind of junction?

Rob

Change the head unit cables so its in a loop. more like a series than parallel.

Oh it may need coding.

Hi BlackC55, that being the case, if you only have the cd changer and that is connected opticaly to the head unit, then you buy a phone kit with more optical leads how do you connect the phone into the optical system when there is only one optical connection on the back of the head unit without some kind of junction?

Rob

I guess you have noticed that the single fibre connector has two fibre cables, an input and an output. If you previously had a HU and a CDC and want to add a phone kit, you would have to pull one of the fibre cables out from the head unit, feed that to the phone kit and the other cable from the phone kit back to the HU. Always a ring, from the output of one device to the input of another one. The position of a device would have to be correct on a D2B ring too.

Hi I am tying to get my CDChanger and phone to work They both show they are receiving power but neither talk to the car i have been told it is something to do with the optical leads all are presant and conected at the units but all seem to meet somewhere under the driver carpet. where?

If the ring is correctly setup then you will almost certainly need coding. If this is MOST bus then the AGW (The MOST master) needs to know what is on the ring and where etc. If its D2B then it will probably just work but should be coded in the head unit for completeness.

EDIT:, I assume its the 2002 C class in your signature in which case its D2B.

The bit that everyone has forgotten to say, is there is a special joiner piece for joining 2 fibres together, so you remove one fibre from one connector, plug the right one of the 2 new fibres into it, and use the joiner to join the other 2

On D2B cars (like yours), the fibress have red and white lenses, so you end up joining a red and white one - on later MOST cars you have to look on the connectors to ensure that the output from one device connects to the input of the next and so on

If you look on www.mercupgrades.com theres a document on the D2B fibres with part number for the joiner

R

Oh yes, and as they are an active loop, if any device on the loop fails, the loop is broken and nothing works.

I.e so if it was working and has failed, its likely to be a broken device.

R

Funny this because we worked on a customers car earlier that had had comand retrofitted (rather badly) plus a Cd changer. However, the installer had no idea how the fibre was to be connected so simply disconnected the phone and ran fibre from the Comand to the Cd changer and back. They had also completely bodged the wake up wiring aswell.

Needless to say, the car now has comand, phone and CD changer all working properly with a much neater wakeup cabling arrangement....

Hi Guys thanks for the great replys, yes it is the car in the sig and it was fitted with the phone and CDC at the factory so one would think it would be wired correctly. What would cuase it to need reprograming/coding? The fitting of A new battery perhaps?

So what i would see if i take the trunking apart in the drivers side foot well would be the optical leads connected together.

I have tryed a different CDC still no joy should i try a phone control box to see if that works.

Failing that where is the nearest STAR machine to West Yorkshire Bradford in perticular

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Guys thanks for the great replys, yes it is the car in the sig and it was fitted with the phone and CDC at the factory so one would think it would be wired correctly. What would cuase it to need reprograming/coding? The fitting of A new battery perhaps?

So what i would see if i take the trunking apart in the drivers side foot well would be the optical leads connected together.

I have tryed a different CDC still no joy should i try a phone control box to see if that works.

Failing that where is the nearest STAR machine to West Yorkshire Bradford in perticular

Rob

I got lost with the task you are trying to accomplish. On your first post you mentioned buying a phone kit and now you say you had everything from the factory. If everything was there from the factory, you do not need any coding even if the battery was disconnected.

Sorry for the confution Diesel Benz try this
I now know how the optics work i need some one in the Bradford area with the same phone controler so i can eliminate it

Sorry for the confution Diesel Benz try this
I now know how the optics work i need some one in the Bradford area with the same phone controler so i can eliminate it

You can eliminate it by bypassing it. (which requires a cheap fibre optic joiner you can buy from the Mb dealer. You'll have to remove the fibres from the plug and put into the D2B joiner (one has a red lens, one has a white lens, and the joiner is fibre specific, i.e dont force red into the wrong end)

D2B joiner part number is on mercupgrades.com in the D2B document

Richard

So off I went to my Dealership bought the said joiner fitted it when arrived home switched on the ignition stereo comes on press CD button twice stereo says NO CD still. HELP!

So off I went to my Dealership bought the said joiner fitted it when arrived home switched on the ignition stereo comes on press CD button twice stereo says NO CD still. HELP!

Can you be more specific on how you did fit the joiner? By the way, if you were not sure if the phone controller works OK, have you tried bypassing the CDC?

I lifted the metal clips inserted the optical leads taking care to get the right one in the right side. I had the CDC checked by fitting another one that i know works ok. Still the same message.

Have you bypassed the phone controller?

Have you checked that wake-up is present for the CDC?

Yes to the phone controller but what is the wake up on the CDC? There only seems to be 2 conections and they are both connected

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom