Where to buy Mobil 5w-40 Fully Synthetic ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c240yaz

MB Enthusiast
Anyone know the best place to buy 8 litres of Mobil 5w-40 Fully Synthetic at a reasonable price ?

I bought 8 liters of 0-40 from Opie oils on Ebay for £75 inc delivery next day.

After 460 cars I am putting my car in for a 20k sevice. Its the first time ever for me

Zero viscosity worries me. Just a bit too thin for my liking. I wonder if Fuchs, Titan Supersyn 5w-40 would be similar.

Regarding your first service at 20K, I suppose that you have no choice, if you want to keep your warranty valid.

I'm not sure of the viscosity - think it's 0W-40 - but Costco sell Mobil-1 for about £23.75 (inc VAT) for 4L.

When I'm doing my own oil changes I take along an empty oil can & buy oil from the MB indy I use. He buys it by the barrel so it's MUCH cheaper than anywhere else.

Zero viscosity worries me. Just a bit too thin for my liking. I wonder if Fuchs, Titan Supersyn 5w-40 would be similar.

QUOTE]

The only practical difference between a 0W 40 and a 5W 40 is at extreme low temperatures. (If you have to worry if the pour point of your oil being -54C rather than -45C then I suggest you really are in trouble.)

The 0W or 5W bit is measured at +40C. the 40 bit at +100C. So in the UK the only difference between a 5W 40 and a 0W 40 is of no importance and really comes down to the quality of the base stock.

Costco is about the cheapest I have found on this side of the Channel: £19.99 +VAT

MB use 229.9 0W-40 Mobil 1 as standard.

MB use 229.9 0W-40 Mobil 1 as standard.

Have to be careful on this: depends on the engine.
It is important not to mix up oil to MB sheet 229.31 with 229.1
Even more important don't mix it up with oil that meets the Merc spec called MB sheet 229.3

In my handbook, it says for petrol engines: oil containers may be marked "approved in accordance with MB sheet 229.1, 229.3 and 229.5".

BUT IT GOES ON TO SAY MB sheet 229.31 applies to vehicles with a 'EURO4 Standard' engine version with a particulate filter.

I posted on an earlier thread on oil: -
Here's some news from the man from Castrol, on the phone. Some of it important especially for diesel owners.

1). Castrol synthetic oils are made from oil -much modified etc. So he said.
2). The Castrol website does have big holes in it and the info for the S class diesels is wrong for EURO4 models (220 series 2005 and 2006 I think). Same MAY BE TRUE on later E class, C class etc.
3. He agrees that all EURO4 Merc diesels SHOULD USE OILS THAT MEET MB Sheet 229.31. (It says this in my handbook. Be careful not to confuse with MB sheet 229.1 which is a different spec).
4. IT IS IMPORTANT to do so because the particulate filter is a closed system and needs low SAPS oils. That is low in Sulphated Ash, Phosphor, and Sulphur. These oils do not build up in the filter and block it as other oils will.
5. AMAZING: - No Castrol Magnatec that we can buy anywhere, meets Mercedes low SAPS requirements.
6. We need to buy Edge Sport 5W 40 or Edge Turbo Diesel 0W 30 to meet 229.31
6. DON'T BE FOOLED: - Despite 5 above, Mercedes dealers may use Magnatec. But they use a special formulation for Merc dealers called Magnatec 5W-40 L, which is not available to the public. Just for them it is low SAPS and meets 229.31
7. The particulate filter is so good nowadays, and the low SAPS oil, that if you hang a white hanky near the end of the exhaust pipe, it will stay white for ages. Well that is the theory. Tried it on mine. Seems to be true.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=38475

STATS 007 posted: - Mobil One ESP 5w-30 meets 229.31 & 229.51 and is £60ish for 8 litres delivered on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom