Where to get a 4-wheel alignment done ? (Herts)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cliff_G

Car
E320 1997
Does anyone know somewhere within spitting distance of Mid Herts (all of Hertfordshire, Luton, North London etc) where they do a 4-wheel alignment and really know what they are doing??

----------

I have a nasty twitch from the rear of my 1997 E320. Everything has been checked several times (bushings, tyres, tyre pressures, alignment etc) by main delaers, the place I got it from, and another garage, but no joy. I have changed all 4 shock absorbers which has improved matters generally (57K miles), but not this specific problem.

What I think is happening is this:

E320 W210 Avantgarde saloon - "sports" suspension.

Before I bought the car I test drove it and it was pulling to the left (not much, but enough to be irritating). I asked for and got a 4-wheel alignment. When I picked it up it was still pulling to the left but I let it go. However, after then driving it some more, I found a nasty twitch from the rear end on hitting a pothole or differenign L-R surfaces. After some time of observing, I think it is excessive toe-in at the rear.

When I first drove it, it didn't do this (as far as I can tell), but the "after" alignment figs show it had gone from a slight rear toe-out to a total rear toe-in of 0°17' (17 minutes).

What I think happens is that with its wide and almost low-profile tyres it normally sticks to the road very well. When both rears are stuck equally to the road, the toe-in is not a problem, but if one of them gets unstuck - such as losing traction over a pothole (tends not to occur with a bump) or with a slippery surface one side only, then the remaining tyre pushes the rear towards the wheel that has unstuck itself, until it regains grip and all is well again.

At other times the car feels as if it is rear-steering

My calcs show that for a roughly 20" wheel, 0°17' of total toe is around 3 mm track difference between front and back of the tyres. It's worse in a way in that the toe is 15' one side and 2' the other.

The place I got it from says the toe-in at the rear should be 10 to 30', but for a rear I can't believe this - the car is so tight at the back with very meaty suspension arms I would have thought 0°0' woukd be closer to the truth.

So if I can find a good performance tracking shop to re-check it, I hope I can get somewhere.

Micheldever has been mentioned, but a trip to Winchester for a 3-week appointment seems a trek!

TIA

the autodata cd reckons 0 33' +/- 7 for the 1995 to 97 E320 sport for the rear toe in 33 - 7 = 26 :eek:

so its well out of spec...

all the 210s and 202s appear to be the same, sport, classic, avantgarde etc. (my 140 is 35 +10/-5 mins)

autodata have been wrong before.

Oh bother.

Bang goes the too-much-toe theory, then, unless, as you say, the Autodata CD is wrong, but those figs do agree with what I was told yesterday.

Does anyone else's W210 E-class handle like mine? Surely it's not just how this vehicle handles?

I will definitely have to take it to someone who can diagnose handling problems.

Where/how can I get an autodata CD?

Funnily enough, I had to have my rear tyres replaced yesterday after one got punctured by a nasty shard of metal. They were both down to the markers so oh well. I also decided to get phatter tyres this time round!

I did thank my lucky stars that I had the tyre pressure monitor. I got the first alert at 27 psi and was able to pull into a garage quickly with the car stopped in a safe place with 25psi left. So if I had more tread the tyre could have been repaired as it didn't end up being run flat.

Anyway, for my tyres I use Elite in Rainham, Essex. They also do my alignment and they are very good. Take the car for a drive after its been aligned and they are only to happy to tweak it further if necessary.

Now I have a 2001 W210 E320 CDI Avantgarde with 18" wheel. 235/40/ZR18 on the front and 255/35/ZR18 on the rear.

Interestingly enough I have had the twitchy experience and it was the wheel bearings to blame (having checked all the bushes etc). On the W210 you have adjustable wheel bearings which are normally tightened up at each service (quality varies from stealer to stealer - some say a quarter turn at each service but I assume a torque setting needs to be adhered to). If they are slightly loose then you end up with slight play in the wheels. With wider low profile wheels this play results in your alignment deteriorating very quickly! I had the car aligned one evening, took it for a short test drive and on return the figures were all totally out again.

Just for reference, the figures for the W210 Avantgarde are as follows...

Front Caster Min 5deg08' Max 6deg08'
Front Camber Min -1deg20' Max -0deg40'
Front Toe Min 0deg00 Max 0deg10'
Rear Camber Min -1deg59' Max -0deg59'
Rear Toe Min 0deg13' Max 0deg20'

Obviously, adopting a grandad style of driving will keep your alignment truer longer but if like me you enjoy chucking it around then you must remember it is a heavy car and the resulting drag in various directions will not be doing the suspension and tyres any favours!

Cliff_G said:
Where/how can I get an autodata CD?

by knowing someone who works for them - or order from their site if you are very very rich http://www.autodata.ltd.uk/index.htm

"Allows unlimited access to the CD contents.

Price: £725.00
Invoice amount including VAT = £851.88" eeeeeeeeeeek!

i have one - but the originator has asked me never ever to give a copy away or he gets in the real poo poo - its a salesperson unlimited life version and traceable to the guy. sorry.

in the meantime - what do you need off it? ill gladly shove up PDFs of the pages...(which are untraceable)

Elite in Rainham, there the best ive used, give you a print out of your cars alignment before and after, very professional, cant fault them, had several cars done there.

Here!

Bolam's Crash Repairs, Leighton Buzzard. www.bolams.com

Ask for Ian

Brilliant job, and not expensive

Has pretty much fixed the pull - just a touch of camering left now.

Still twitches, though. Not a happy bunny. Expected more of a Merc.

Cliff_G said:
When I first drove it, it didn't do this (as far as I can tell), but the "after" alignment figs show it had gone from a slight rear toe-out to a total rear toe-in of 0°17' (17 minutes).

Here is your problem.

It should be -0d17m each side. Total is -33m. Your car IS rear wheel steering.

Planning to get my alignment done before new tyres are purchased. The posted links here are helpfull but does anyone Ooop North know of a similar establishment rather than go to the exbenze of a Stealer? (BTW £175 + Vat)

Cliff_G said:
At other times the car feels as if it is rear-steering

My calcs show that for a roughly 20" wheel, 0°17' of total toe is around 3 mm track difference between front and back of the tyres. It's worse in a way in that the toe is 15' one side and 2' the other.

TIA

If your rear toe-in is not set the same each side it will make your car 'crab', i.e. it will go along at an angle instead of straight.

http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm#Toe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom