Where to get a wireless modem advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
I need to get a wireless modem to plug into my PC, a 2 month old Dell Dimension 3100.

I'm told the thing it's working with (apologies for the technical jargon) is - Netgear, 108 mbps, 2.4 gig, 802.11g.

Do I need to buy a Netgear product or are others compatible? Where is the cheapest place to buy what I'm looking for?

TIA.

Last edited:
grober said:
you mean something like this to plug into your PC to enable it to talk to an existing wireless adsl modem/router?

I think so, but I'm pretty ignorant on this topic. I need to be able to talk to an existing wireless adsl modem/router but whether this is the right one, the best price, the right spec I dunno.

It's tiny compared to the Speedtouch modem my ISP supplied me with.

neilrr said:
I need to be able to talk to an existing wireless adsl modem/router but whether this is the right one, the best price, the right spec I dunno.
What's the model of the Netgear equipment you have now? From that, it will be easier to advise you what you need.

I had a long reply written-up, but fortunately read Grober's reply before posting as it many not have been relevant :D

How many PCs do you intend to work with through the modem/router? If you only intend to use the Dell, have you considered just connecting to your existing modem in accordance with the instructions that came with that. Almost certainly the modem will connect to your laptop via USB.

If you want the freedom of a wireless connection then yes a modem/router will do the job but you may well need to connect to it directly in order to set it up.

To answer your original question, no it does not need to be Netgear. Just go for one that is compatible with 802g as that is what your wireless card has. BTW that's most of the products on the market now. My current modem/router is Linksys (bought from Comet) and it happily works with a mixture of hard wired and wireless PCs. The wireless cards are Belkin and the inbuilt card in an Acer laptop.

Before the Linksys, I had a Belkin modem/router which failed after 18 months. That's why the new one came from Comet as I need an urgent replacement.

Sorry, I've re-read your post. I'd assumed it was a laptop, but it may not be. I'd also assumed you were describing the wireless card in the PC but now I think not (it's the heat and the humidity you know.:eek: :eek: ).

You need a wireless card that supports 802g to make the best of the capabilities of the router. It does not have to be Netgear. One of the earlier posts linked to a USB plug in, that will do the job just as well.

If you are linking to an existing modem/router then you do not need a wireless modem because you are just adding another wireless connection to an existing wireless network.

neilrr said:
I think so, but I'm pretty ignorant on this topic. I need to be able to talk to an existing wireless adsl modem/router but whether this is the right one, the best price, the right spec I dunno.

It's tiny compared to the Speedtouch modem my ISP supplied me with.

You dont require a modem as such. The communications link to the internet is via the existing adsl modem thats part of the netgear wireless adsl modem/router unit you mentioned before. It has 2 parts a modem and a router which is a sort of network controller /distributor for a LAN (local area network) Now this can be ahard wired network via ethernet cabling or "wireless" via radio link. The router has a wee broadcast /receive aerial like a miniature radio station broadcasting/ receiving to all the radio receivers/ transmitters in the LAN which are coupled to computers or printers whatever. The unit I indicated is just a little USB2 radio receiver/transmitter to allow your computer to communicate with the MODEM which then communicates with the internet. Its not big cos theres no modem in it its just one end of a wireless link instead of a cable. There are lots of sites on the net which can explain this better than me with diagrams etc. HERE YOU GO. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the amazingly quick response.

More details:

The netgear modem/router that I'd be accessing is a model DG834GT.

I think, if I understand this correctly (!!!), I just need the little radio rec/trans doohickey, get it configured & Bobby is my uncle.

Is that correct?

That about sums it up.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom