Where To Go From Here....

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I understand why people work for themselves but I don't get how they do it...

All the extra paperwork and time spent doing stuff 'out of hours'.

I suppose the rewards are there if you work for yourself and the harder you work, the more you get out of it...

I understand why people work for themselves but I don't get how they do it...

It's hard to describe where the desire and hunger to succeed comes from to keep me motivated.

Add that to the fact that no-one can tell me what to do at work, and it all just feels natural.

I am sure that in a while you will look back and know that you are better off on your own. There is only one person you have to answer to and only one place where the buck stops. I work with my brother in one of my businesses and believe me I wish I didn't most of the time. But he means the world to me and the fact that he only turns up for work one day a week is incidental. He is ten times the salesman I am and I am not too bad!
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger and you will be a better businessman because of your experience.
I feel I should wish you good luck, but to be honest I don't think you'll need it because it's fairly obvious you are a hard worker and when you work hard you don't need luck(or not so much!).

It's hard to describe where the desire and hunger to succeed comes from to keep me motivated.

Add that to the fact that no-one can tell me what to do at work, and it all just feels natural.

And if you want to do a bit of kerb crawling or taking a nap you can just do it :thumb:.

Must have looked like a good proposition at the time, so hats off for giving it a whirl. Shame it wasn't to be.

What doesn't kill you will make you stronger and you will be a better businessman because of your experience.
I feel I should wish you good luck, but to be honest I don't think you'll need it because it's fairly obvious you are a hard worker and when you work hard you don't need luck(or not so much!).

Thanks, that post was very thoughtful. :D

The original idea was to combine his 'business' brain and my contacts and sales patter to make a great team. I suppose I was a bit worried of proper business type stuff, hence me getting him involved, when in reality I was already doing proper business type stuff without realising it.

This became more apparent the longer I worked with him; I was showing him how to go on!

Hope it goes well from here. As someone who has gone from being a part of a huge global corporate to now running my own business I would say don't discount bringing another partner(s) on board in the future. I simply couldn't run the business these days without my 2.....

Hope it goes well from here. As someone who has gone from being a part of a huge global corporate to now running my own business I would say don't discount bringing another partner(s) on board in the future. I simply couldn't run the business these days without my 2.....
Thanks.

It has taught me that I can never work as a partner, I end up taking control either way.

I can certainly envisage getting employees in that can further my strategy, but any sort of future joint venture is definately out of the window.

Businesses never stand still...every change is but an opportunity.

I'm currently reading Scott Belsky's Making Ideas Happen. It has some quite specific advice re business partners. The broad thrust of which is choose a partner with a different skill set to your own. Only of use though when you lack that skill set and/or it's actually required.

An interesting read - and a freebie from Scottish Enterprise. You can borrow it Lee if you want, I'll be finished it soon.

IMHO you need a few things - different skills and very very clearly defined roles. Following this I hope we will turn over 40m USD this year. Without partners this business was struggling to do half that...they are not all bad but like a wife they must be chosen carefully!

I'm currently reading Scott Belsky's Making Ideas Happen. It has some quite specific advice re business partners. The broad thrust of which is choose a partner with a different skill set to your own. Only of use though when you lack that skill set and/or it's actually required.

An interesting read - and a freebie from Scottish Enterprise. You can borrow it Lee if you want, I'll be finished it soon.

Thanks, much appreciated. :D

Thanks, much appreciated. :D

I'd better hurry up and finish it then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom