Where to go on a short break?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Mid/End september in the car with our 3 month old baby.

Done Devon/Cornwall, Done Wales.. Not that keen on Lake District...

Thinking
- Scotland (not the major cities) as I havent seen much of it and im inspired by ***'s posts, but will it be warm towards end of september?

- New Forest,
- Bath (3-4 days maybe too much for one city)
- Northern France

Got to be max 4-5 hours driving distance from the midlands as I wouldnt want to keep little man in his car seat for much longer.

Would be Thursday - Monday most likely.

Any good ideas? Just for a relaxing break, a Spa hotel maybe.

We went to the Bodysgallen Spa in North Wales last time and that was fantastic.. great little cottage with plenty to go and see in the area so something along these lines.

Scotland is beautiful certainly, I'll leave others with experience to comment on the weather.

Bath is a pretty special place and it is within easy reach of the Cotswolds (some lovely places to see), the Mendips (Cheddar Gorge), Longleat safari park, Bristol (Great Western, Floating Harbour, Clifton).

France just a bit far with the crossing times, but there is lots to do around Calais.

Suffolk? Lovely area and some great hotels down there too. Snape Maltings, Southwold etc etc.

........Just for a relaxing break + 3 month old :) :) :)

We love the lakes and have been back every year, we stay near Keswick and have a great time each year.

Given the time of year your looking you have to expect bad weather and anything better is a bonus, lots of tea shops and nice cake to eat.

Scotland also lovely and we have camped at Blair Athol which is a lovley spot to visit places. Your time of year again though expect bad weather any better is a bonus.

Caravan Parks in Scotland - Visit Blair Castle

Saying that we have also just had a week in York and that was lovely, lots to see and do and a great week.

Peak District?

Scenic, peaceful and some nice roads.

Thanks, I guess the specific hotel is probably more important as we will be spending a lot of time just relaxing, having massages and the like!

I know Bath has some pretty exceptional Spa Hotels... Any recommendations in Bath and/or the other places I mentioned?

Norfolk broads? Maybe rent a canal boat?
Edinburgh is great, think u may niss the fringe festival though, which I recommended highly. Scotland's weather has always been great when I've been there but i would say I was uber lucky, its generally poor from what i can gather.

The Royal Cresent Hotel In Bath.

Last edited:
Thinking
- Scotland (not the major cities) as I havent seen much of it and im inspired by ***'s posts, but will it be warm towards end of september?

It's not even warm now and apart from a few warm days has been the worst summer I can remember for a long time. :(

The roads are quiet the further north you go with some great scenery & driving. Unfortunately you have to take pot luck with the weather.

Russ

Most things have been suggested, but taking account of where you don't want to go I would suggest,

Yorkshire dales
Northeast (durham, Berwick upon tweed)
Scotland as mentioned

Got a 3 month old & want to relax? Just stay at home, hire a nanny to take the kid away for 72 hours & you'll have a whole new lease on life.

blimey looks like I may have left it a little late, all the top hotels are booked pretty much.

Anyone have experience of the Macdonald in Bath?

Failing that im looking at New Forest.

Bath/Bristol Bath for the obvious reasons, Bristol for the waterfront/Clifton suspension bridge etc

I used to stay regularly at a Hotel (Chilton Place BS31 2SX) mid-way between the two cities. Formerly the private house of the W. D. & H.0. Wills company. Lovely period house in rural setting. If staying there, make sure you get a room in the main house, which has lots of character. They have an annexe - modern, a little shabby - so avoid. Good news is the prices are half that of the city centre, but the food is good and both cities are only a short drive. Only a couple of hours from Brum down the M5.

I'm not long back from Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa jsut outside Inverarry. We had a 2 day break there & it was lovely.

Breathtaking scenery, Inverarry is a nice wee tourist village.

The hotel & spa were good, it's not the cheapest around but it was worth the money IMO.

Weather is obviously a potential issue, but its just your luck, we had some great days in September last year but hey it's Scotland anything can happen :)

Cheers

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom