where to put new DAB aerial?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
after a chat with the bods at blaupunkt, they suggested that I would get much much better reception by using a 'real/ aerial instead of my through glass version - considering that a) it goes through 2 layers of glass, plus the 'heat reflecting' element of it disturbs the signal and c) its too close to my FM/Am aerial (in the back screen)

so - I want to drill a hole somewhere on the car and bolt a real aerial on... but where?

It supposedly has to be 1 meter from an FM aerial - so that discounts the back edge of the roof.

boot lid?

above the rear light / above rear arch?

just behind sunroof?

in front of sunroof?

attachment.php

{mods - how do i re-attach an attchment?}

when I had the external DAB aerial on the MGF it was DAB and FM combined. Sold it to CraigyB so he may be able to answer some of your ?s on this front. It then had a splitter box that connected to it inside the car which sent one digital cable to the digi input on the head unit and an FM cable to take the analogue input so the head unit could switch between the two. If you are happy to stick purely with DAB - you don't have to worry about the FM at all - just disconnect it all together.

Personally - I wouldn't go pure DAB as the reception can still be patchy and if you like Radio 5dead like hub's does - you're stuffed! :D

Sorry to say that I'm glad your glass mounted hasn't worked as I deliberately avoided that route as a - don't like the look of them and b - was concerned the performance wouldn't be up to scratch. So I am still DABless as I won't drill Edna :rolleyes: :D

ah - but you have single plate glass.. mine is over a centimeter thick... If i do this - ill lend you the glass mount one - stick it on with double sided tape as a test?

Im thinking that the W140's have reversing ariels that pop up from the rear quarter corners,Can you use one of those and have it so it works like an ariel and fit it in the same place if you can get what im saying? :)

how about inside the rear or front bumper?

guydewdney said:
ah - but you have single plate glass.. mine is over a centimeter thick... If i do this - ill lend you the glass mount one - stick it on with double sided tape as a test?

Cheers guy ;)

early 140s have the pop-up thingys - mine has 'proper' sensors.

i dismissed inside the grille as its all metal - faraday cage anyone?

inside the bumper is an idea... but wonder if the car would 'shield' the aerial? at least i could try it without drilling any new holes i suppose. I thought that aerials had to ahve a 'ground plane' i.e. a sheet of metal under them?

guydewdney said:
inside the bumper is an idea... but wonder if the car would 'shield' the aerial? at least i could try it without drilling any new holes i suppose. I thought that aerials had to ahve a 'ground plane' i.e. a sheet of metal under them?
There is metal behind the bumper, several layers of it in fact! I'd not recommend drilling into anything that looks structural though because in a rear-end impact you don't want your car folding in half because you drilled a hole in the chassis :rolleyes:

I've got a Blaupunct digital radio and digital aerial to fit on an E300TD.

It came (second hand ) with a glass mouted aerial from www.panorama.co.uk

Jonny

PS they supply refit kits (adhesive pads and boots etc.

im having a similar mare with fitting a 2nd aeriel for my TMC, after speaking to Alpine tech`s, got an internal glass mount one, but reception is poor through the tinted windows. havent found any other normal FM aerials capable of doing the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom