Where's Howard ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
:dk:

Guys, I live in Devon so a few miles from most of you, having said this I notice the same members often post with advice, detailed explanations or just plain ol knowledge on how overcome problems.

I've not seen any posts from Howard over the past few days, I believe that he lives in an area which has been affected by flooding recently, so hoping that his home is safe & dry.

Has anyone heard from him ? :dk::dk:

He was on just yesterday. Given he's responsible for the rivers where he lives, I reckon he'll be the last to flood!

He was on just yesterday. Given he's responsible for the rivers where he lives, I reckon he'll be the last to flood!

Cheers Charles,

Howard responded to a post of mine recently regarding recommendations for a rally experience day & as it happened to be one of the 3 places that I'd earmarked I 've booked the event. He'd mentioned a boat shop near by so I'd hoped to pop in & say hello.

Dave

Click on a person's name (e.g. on a previous post), select View Public Profile, then the 'Statistics' tab. For Howard:
Last Activity: Today 09:46 AM

:)

Thanks Dave for the thoughts , much appreciated.

I've been looking in , but been pretty busy recently with all this water . Been playing with my big toy at work lol !

For those who are interested , currently we are running at approximately 320 cubic metres of water per second , peak was just before Christmas at 373 cumecs.

I suspect the current rain will push us back up , perhaps maybe even to 400. Design spec of the weir is 670 so a way to go yet before we have problems with fluvial flooding. Main concern at the moment is the big tides. The tide meets the fluvial flow at teddington so we can have very big rises in a very short space of time.

Some pics of my ( other ) baby lol

Last edited:
Radial gates 4x3m , we have 14 of these

Last edited:
Roller sluices ( 2 of these , each 13m x 4.5m )

Happy new year to everyone. :)

Last edited:
Have you tried taking a dinghy, or even surfing down the radial sluices. That would be great fun.

Do the tides ever get high enough to crest the weir and stop downward water flow?

Happy New Year, Howard.

Is that Heron (Harry?) still making an appearance?

Have you tried taking a dinghy, or even surfing down the radial sluices. That would be great fun.

Do the tides ever get high enough to crest the weir and stop downward water flow?

Been there , done that in a dinghy , it is terrifying. The weir is designed as an anti scour weir , so it sets up a 'stopper' wave just downstream which is really pretty dangerous.

Tides regularly overtop the weir , the flow never reverses ( except in very low flows ) ' in fact you can see it on the gauge for trowlock island which is upstream of teddington and yet still has a tidal rise.

Environment Agency - River levels station data

Environment Agency - Flood Warning Area Detail

Henry the heron is still about.

More than ever at the moment because all the high river flows are driving the fish into the slack water of the lock so it's easy pickings for him lol

Does the stopper still work in high flow conditions?

Is the water level being raised at Trowlock actually the tide flowing up there, or just the lack of drop at the weir meaning the river backs up and gets deeper?

Last edited:
No , there's not enough of a fall. Going out on the river in anything other than a tug at the moment would be madness though to be honest. I was moving boats around the other day for my dad and it was pretty scary , and I was *on* a tug lol !

The tide *rise* at trowlock is a little of both , land water backing up and the tide coming in.

Last edited:
I've seen a narrowboat go backwards down a weir in flood conditions and another one that had rolled due to hitting the bank bow first.

Another one broke free it's moorings, blocked a multi arch bridge, rolled and sank. That one got cut up at the scene.

The one across a bridge sounds like what happened on the thames at Godstow last winter ?

Was underwater for months ( closing the whole river ) before flows subsided enough to get it. I've got photos of it hitting the bridge , and rolling and sinking as there was an EA guy there by chance. They are on my work PC , but are pretty spectacular , it was gone in under a minute. Ill post them when I can find them if you like ?

I tell a lie .... Found them !

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
All gone .... Underwater ....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom