Where's my dipstick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teflonso

Car
E350 Estate (W212 Facelift)
New E350 CDI. Can't find a dispstick.

Please don't tell me I've got one of those cars that's going to monitor itself and then strand at the side of the road waiting for the RAC when it runs low.

p.s. Given that I have a filler cap, what oil do I want? I'm used to Audi/VW giving me a free 1 litre bottle, it was a surprise that MB don't do this.

new e350 cdi. Can't find a dispstick.

Please don't tell me i've got one of those cars that's going to monitor itself and then strand at the side of the road waiting for the rac when it runs low.

P.s. Given that i have a filler cap, what oil do i want? I'm used to audi/vw giving me a free 1 litre bottle, it was a surprise that mb don't do this.

rtfm

You don't have a dipstick...and whilst the above reply was rude...it was to the point.

Many of the forum questions are covered by owners manual, but I believe people are used to older cars where it was nothing useful info in the owners book. So they don't read them.

And then there are engineers too... :rolleyes: :D

New E350 CDI. Can't find a dispstick.

Please don't tell me I've got one of those cars that's going to monitor itself and then strand at the side of the road waiting for the RAC when it runs low.

It won't strand you by the side of the road - it'll tell you add oil when it needs it, but no panic as they hold quite a lot.

Don't call the RAC though, call Mercedes Mobilo.

p.s. Given that I have a filler cap, what oil do I want? I'm used to Audi/VW giving me a free 1 litre bottle, it was a surprise that MB don't do this.

I've never had free anything from VW. Some dealers have a habit of putting a litre in the boot in a nice bag at service time and then sneakily adding it to the bill.

For the Mercedes, you want something with MB229.51 approval. Mobil 1 ESP. Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Edge etc etc.

This is taken from the USA online manual site for a 2013 MY E Class, so UK models may differ. If you don't have a dipstick the level is checked electronically using the steering wheel buttons to access the onboard system. Instructions will be in the manual.

Last edited:
My MB tells me on the dash board when to add oil, it also has a dipstick, and not just the driver :D, I don't use the dipstick, there is no need.

I sympathise with you and suggest that the nasty comment was uncalled for.
I, like yourself, have an E270CDI and as I have never owned a car without a dipstick and did not know that such a vehicle existed, did exactly the same. After searching all over the engine bay I eventually called the dealer for the information. After telling me that it did not have one said I was not the first.
With regards to RTFM. How can you find information on something that does not exist?.

So confused here why do some cars come with dipsticks and some don't.
My C class and ML both have dipsticks, but the ML was made in the USA so perhaps they try and make it easier to check the oil?

This is the whole point.
I have owned cars for 60yrs and have never experienced one without a dipstick and have never in all that time had to consult a manual for what at one time was a simple task. hindsight is 20/20.
I called the dealership not because I suspected that it did not have one, lets face that is a stupid idea!!! but because i assumed it was in some hidden recess.

This is the whole point.
I have owned cars for 60yrs and have never experienced one without a dipstick and have never in all that time had to consult a manual for what at one time was a simple task. hindsight is 20/20.
I called the dealership not because I suspected that it did not have one, lets face that is a stupid idea!!! but because i assumed it was in some hidden recess.

My car has both a dipstick and the electronic version...both are explained in the handbook...it's what it's for.:confused:

My understanding is that the dipstick is removed from (some) models equipped with oil quantity sensor, mainly in order to discourage owners from unwittingly filling up to the top mark on the dipstick when the engine is cold and risk a ruined runaway diesel engine and the frustration of a rejected warranty claim.

Pity my E270 did not have both, that would not have caused a problem.
just as a matter of interest usually check my oil & water via the dipstick just prior to going on a long run and whilst she who must be obeyed is putting on the final touches I did not expect to have to plow through an overlarge manual, that is assuming I have my reading glasses on. .

My understanding is that the dipstick is removed from (some) models equipped with oil quantity sensor, mainly in order to discourage owners from unwittingly filling up to the top mark on the dipstick when the engine is cold and risk a ruined runaway diesel engine and the frustration of a rejected warranty claim.

This may be true...but any case, it is mentioned in the hand book.

rtfm

Massive, massive :fail
Yeah, who'd ever think to look in the manual before asking a question?

Well the printed manual says to check it on the dipstick and "for different models, the dipstick may be located in different places". It gives a small picture example of a diesel engine, which looks nothing like mine and at the very least I'd have to rip off the big plastic cover to get underneath it. Methinks it ain't under there.

Now before you get all smart and tell me to look in the back of the manual, it tells me it takes 8.1 litres, but not which oil. It helpfully says to "use oil recommended by MB", but I need to phone a dealer and ask what that is. So far, it's slightly more helpful than your reply. Not by much.

Oh, I forgot..... the electronic manual on the Command system. Yeah, you guessed it, it says to look on the dipstick. But of course, you didn't guess it at all, did you, otherwise we wouldn't have had the rtfm.

Just to complete the coup de grace, I can't check the oil level using the displays either. Not by any method in the handbook(s) or anything I can find on a very thorough button pushing session. I do find from the manual, however, that my car might use up to 0.8L per 1000 miles especially when new, which means I need to buy some tomorrow just in case.

Many thanks to Rory for the oil information and to those who offered sympathetic comments or even guestimates. :thumb:

As for everyone else with smart Alec "read the manual" posts, a wise man once told me that if you know the answer, spit it out. If not, it's a good idea to keep yer gob shut.

Last edited:
....Well the printed manual says to check it on the dipstick and "for different models, the dipstick may be located in different places"...

This is correct, and it appears that for your model it is located on a shelf somwhere in Stuttgart...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom