Whey hey! my car's been waxoyl'ed... I think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uumode

MB Enthusiast
Car
C300 AMG Line Premium Plus
http://www.wan.st/waxoyl/

wired brushed and waxoyl'ed in around 4 hours

..and I was dumb enough to think it would come out like this

BEFORE
before.gif

AFTER
after.gif

thumb1b1.jpg

thumb1a1.jpg

BEFORE
01.jpg

AFTER
05.jpg

wow - with the winter we're due to get - you're probably going to be really glad you had that done. :D

im sorry for the language that follows...

ARE THEY TAKING THE F'ING P'SS?

Thats supposed to be a professional job, waxoyling your underside? which company did you use?

10.jpg

I have to agree with Guy, that is crap :crazy:

Not only is the Waxoil job awful but the amount of rust on that E240 is shocking....

Mine is now 13 years old and I cant see any rust on the underside of the shell at all...

guydewdney said:
im sorry for the language that follows...

Thats supposed to be a professional job, waxoyling your underside? which company did you use?

It was a Mercedes Benz dealer's bodyshop who had agreed to waxoyl the underside after it was actioned by Head Office under warranty.

The 4 new doors, 2 new wings and bonnet respray was more or less executed perfectly, so they have comptence in that area, just that they don't know much about waxoyling I guess. hmmmmmmmmm.

The approval went through after the third communication attempt with Head Office, so it's been a bit of an energy draining exercise to get it approved, now I have to politely point out that it hasn't been waxolyed properly :crazy:

Sp!ke said:
Not only is the Waxoil job awful but the amount of rust on that E240 is shocking....

Mine is now 13 years old and I cant see any rust on the underside of the shell at all...

Yeah, the rust was discovered in it's fourth year.
(same with the four doors and wings... which could have started rusting in it's third year)

I haven't checked the undercarriage of my w210. I've got the four doors and two front wings changed. I shudder to think of the prospect. :eek:

IMO that waxoyling wasn't done to any standard at all..

I particularly like the way they've given your whole wheel the protection it needs to deal with our harsh winter. :D

pammy said:
I particularly like the way they've given your whole wheel the protection it needs to deal with our harsh winter. :D

That's not my wheel..... I wish it was!

My stuff is in the first link, the pictures are examples of waxoyl.

Your pictures don't actually show much of the underbody. I suspect the dealer was asked to spray the underbody and not the subframe, which shouldn't be a problem anyway.

The rust around the exhaust hanger is common, my car had a small amount at two years old but has been thoroughly treated and is now good.

Can you see further under the car to see the main floorpan and the radiator support panel at the front of the car?

Dieselman said:
Your pictures don't actually show much of the underbody. I suspect the dealer was asked to spray the underbody and not the subframe, which shouldn't be a problem anyway.

The rust around the exhaust hanger is common, my car had a small amount at two years old but has been thoroughly treated and is now good.

Can you see further under the car to see the main floorpan and the radiator support panel at the front of the car?

Here is the main floorpan looking towards the front of the car.
mainfloorpan.jpg

I was concerned about the original rust being treated (below) which is higher up in the body
(but not sure if it 'has' been treated, as I can't get my camera up there without a ramp)
bodyshellseam1.jpg

bottom2.jpg

I remember the above pics from the last time and they still shock me to the core!!! :(

I was under my(14yr old) car today(fixing the damn exhaust)and the only rust i could see was on the towing hook at the back!!!!!!!!!!

And that waxoil job is just a joke :mad: Methinks they are extracting the urine!!!!!!!!!

Stu

To me it looks like someone has had a go at it with a simple spray can, spending 5 minutes on it, without any preparation at all.

The underbody is supposed to have been covered completely in the stuff, not just some very, very poor attempt at giving a spray here and there. I would demand that it be taken to a professional place (Waxoyl, Pava, Dinitrol, or whatever they are called), and that you use very strong words indeed to the manager for this incredibly bodged job - it doesn't even qualify as DIY!

I've only just noticed the rust :eek: that is awfull. MB really have got to sort themselves out.

Well I got a response.

Apparently the Waxoyl was not supposed to be of the same application as that applied to 4x4 vehicles (the samples I pointed them to) it was never their intention to prepare the vehicle for off-road use. (Pammy's observation on the wheel sample :) )

They said they applied the Waxoyl in a sympathetic manner, avoiding unrelated components in order to achieve an aesthetically satisfactory result. They do acknowlege there are some areas left untouched, and are willing to rectify the situation. However I have to give them some indication of the level of coverage required.

Any thoughts on this folks?

Personally I think they should Waxoyl any rust apparent areas (but that does not protect untreated areas from breaking out in rust in a similar manner, so 'ideally' all the underside should be coated, which would be a 4x4 preparation?

Similar to 1970's Alfa's

Well, salted winter roads are the cause but I would say rust on steel subframes is fairly common on non-prestige cars 7 + years old in areas that are gritted.
Car supermarkets are quite a good way to look at a number of cars without being hassled by a salesman so I had a look at 40 or so C and E classes of various vintages and would say your E class is worse than average given it's age.The only way to stop the subframe rust would be to have it removed and sandblasted and then use a proper baked on paint.
My own 97 C class has no rust on the body itself but the subframe is similar to yours.Mind you it will take years for any structual failure to occur.
MB are way behind the likes of Audi etc. in the use of modern anti-rust treatments and galvanised panels.

adam

Last edited:
uumode said:
Well I got a response.

Apparently the Waxoyl was not supposed to be of the same application as that applied to 4x4 vehicles (the samples I pointed them to) it was never their intention to prepare the vehicle for off-road use. (Pammy's observation on the wheel sample :) )

They said they applied the Waxoyl in a sympathetic manner, avoiding unrelated components in order to achieve an aesthetically satisfactory result. They do acknowlege there are some areas left untouched, and are willing to rectify the situation. However I have to give them some indication of the level of coverage required.

Any thoughts on this folks?

Personally I think they should Waxoyl any rust apparent areas (but that does not protect untreated areas from breaking out in rust in a similar manner, so 'ideally' all the underside should be coated, which would be a 4x4 preparation?

Ive never heard such a load of get out clause twoddle in all my life!!! They did a crap job and that is that IMHO.

I dont mean to sound funny(not funny, ha ha)but i dont think il be buying one of these mercs in the future(when they come into my miniscule price range, that is. :p ) As im sure we all know by now, mercedes have a very long term problem with this s4!t. And when it becomes more genaraly known about the build quality probs when the cars are, say 7 to 10 years old(and their just piles of rust with non working electrics)i just hope they have some inkling of good reputation left :(

Stu

big x said:
MB are way behind the likes of Audi etc. in the use of modern anti-rust treatments and galvanised panels.

adam

Not any more!!!!

All New Mercs are now being galvanised. This is very recent introduction and is TOP SECRET.

Believe me you are privalidged to know this.

Gets coat and leaves Country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom