Which 7 seater estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigbee

Hi Guys and Gals ,

My first post on here.

For years weve had a seven seater MPV plus another " normal " car. My wife who was going through her mid life crisis 40's decided that she'd had enough of the " practical car " and asked for a new Mini Cooper S convertible. I had the sensible car and ordered a Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged based on reviews ,before they actually came out.Mistake,Im fed up of 14 mpg and the car isnt worth this hassle and expense.Anyway ,she keeps nicking my RR to put our three German Shepherds in and leaves it in remote places whilst walking.Our Voyager was done(windows smashed) in a situtaion like this and I dont want to risk the RR .Anyway, a '96 ( new face lift) E230 or E240 Estate seems to be in our price bracket of £3k .The 7 seater seems ideal as it gives us back the option when we turn into kids taxis. So gents and ladies ,can I have your views on these vehicles please? Im told they average 22 mpg which aint great,but much better than my RR .I viewed a P reg today which was ok, 155k on the engine but slight rust.I know its only £3K but I dont want to have expensive bills to come.I chose MB as I thought they are quality and at this age are reliable to 200k miles.

thanks

Pete

my advice to you would be to consider a 1996 n reg w124, a far better car and with a 3k budget im sure you can pick up a decent example.

Why not another Voyager?

We have an E320 petrol W210 estate, and apart from a little rust:mad: and a bit of trouble with a hard to trace misfire (now mysteriously gone:confused: ) it has been a great alternative to an MPV!:D Fits all four kids in, has easy clean leather seats:D and returns about 28-30mpg on average. And, for a big car is decently quick when I want it to be.

If you can stretch your budget another grand or so, I dare say you can pick up an E300TD. These can give all of the above but with slightly better fuel economy!!

Hope that helps,:D

BenzComander said:
We have an E320 petrol W210 estate, and apart from a little rust:mad: and a bit of trouble with a hard to trace misfire (now mysteriously gone:confused: ) it has been a great alternative to an MPV!:D Fits all four kids in, has easy clean leather seats:D and returns about 28-30mpg on average. And, for a big car is decently quick when I want it to be.

If you can stretch your budget another grand or so, I dare say you can pick up an E300TD. These can give all of the above but with slightly better fuel economy!!

Hope that helps,:D

thanks

You have an E320,I was looking at E230 or 240? Your cars newer and a different model??

cheers

Pete

I would go for the 240, much much better engine, its smoother, quieter and more refined. the 230 struggles to pull a large vehicle like this.

jaymanek said:
I would go for the 240, much much better engine, its smoother, quieter and more refined. the 230 struggles to pull a large vehicle like this.

Thanks for that.Im glad now I didnt go for an E230 P reg yesterday with cloth at £3k.Hopefully seeing an E240 tomorrow with leather and the bells for £2995.00 R reg

Thats cheap, although prices are going down, you should expect to pay at least 4-5K for a half decent one, up to 8-9K for a later model.

So is it high mileage? wrong colour?

My Estate of Choice......

A true Classic........and bulletproof.. :rock: ;)

Last edited:
Bigbee said:
thanks

You have an E320,I was looking at E230 or 240? Your cars newer and a different model??

cheers

Pete

Our car is a 97, and if you are taken by the 240, you may as well go for the 320, there is more power and little difference in the economy!:D

BenzComander said:
Our car is a 97, and if you are taken by the 240, you may as well go for the 320, there is more power and little difference in the economy!:D

but can I get one for £3k (ish) ?

ta anyway

jaymanek said:
Thats cheap, although prices are going down, you should expect to pay at least 4-5K for a half decent one, up to 8-9K for a later model.

So is it high mileage? wrong colour?

Its silver ,155k miles,FSH,2 owners ( Hertz and Enterprise );) its having a recon gear box fitted today,DEALER says it should go for more.Sounds fishy but hes chucking in a short warranty too.Also I aint got £3k cash and you cant finance an old lady like this ,so Im sticking on my c/c.

Que two weeks time,is it normal for smoke to come out the bonnet on starting?,do estates always shake on bends?( no pun intended)

Any ways the bloke says theres such things a free lunches too.............and hes showing me his new puppies and inviting me to his party as long as I dont tell my mum and dad.....I said I could bring some jelly but he says its ok hes got some in a tube .........

Last edited:
I hope this doesnt post twice as I mucked it up

Ive found a 7 seater E320,green metalic, all the bits ,T reg ,111k, which I think I can get for about £4500k.Is this good?Also he says the stereo needs re-coding,does this mean its been nicked and returned?

thanks

Pete

I bought the above car for £4100.00.I hope this is a good deal!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom