Which acoustic guitar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Thinking of a new semi-acoustic six string. Prefer a wider than standard fingerboard (if there is such a thing). Maybe a Takamine or Epiphone. Don't really know.:confused:

Budget iro £1000. Not in any great rush: just thinking out loud.

Any advice from forummers please? Mark Knopfler are you out there? :D

I'd be looking at the Simon and Patrick range

They sound great, are superbly made, mature wonderfully and are competitively priced

I don't play, but I record and do live sound, and the best sounding acoustics have been Seagulls and Taylors. Takamines always sound a bit thin to me and never seem to push good stage volume (which if you're looking for a semi acoustic is I guess part of what you want to do) Go find yourself a big guitar shop, ring them to find their quietest day, or even tell them you're in for a £1000 spend and see if they'll give you a couple of hours after closing to play loads.

I believe that Seagull and Simon and Patrick are part of the Godin group so I have to agree with you :)

Also add in Godin and Art and Lutherie and a few others I can't remember

Indeed they are both Godin group.

Don't forget to budget yourself for a Radial J48 DI box, and an AER amp... :)

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what you are actually looking for?
A semi acoustic to me is most likely a hollow bodied electric, but the thread title is Which Acoustic?

If it is the former, you cannot go wrong with a Gordon Smith.

Gordon-Smith Guitars - Products

Russ

I bought one of the first Simon and Patrick guitars that came into the country.

I was in a studio doing some recording using my Lowden. A friend who ran a music shop brought a couple of Simon and Patricks in for me to try.

After about 5 minutes, the Lowden went into it's case and that's where it stayed :)

It's been gigged, knocked around and played more than any other guitar I've ever owned.

I've still got it and it sounds so much better as it's aged - in fact, I may just treat it to a new set of strings on and play it this evening :)

+1 for Seagull/S&P
I have an S6, and for the price, I rate it as highly as a Taylor.

Stats in tune well too

If you;ve got a grand to 'play' with, then you should look at a 2nd hand Taylor. Gibson J200 are beautiful. I agree with the guys, Simon and Patrick's are pretty good, but you can get much better for the money.

Lowden, Larrivee, Martin all make incredible guitars in the £1000 range.

Thanks for all this. My mistake to say 'semi-acoustic'. That probably sums up my knowledge. I do mean a full acoustic with built-in electrics.
As for secondhand: I don't trust myself to be honest. :eek:. I do have a true semi, an Ibanez, which I bought s/h and I'm not a happy bunny with that. Neck problems. I can't seem to be able to say "no thanks"
I'm a true learner in the scheme of things. About 2 out of 10 in the skill scale. Why do I want a nice (expensive?) guitar I hear you ask? Well, you don't need to be Schumie to own a Ferrari or to enjoy how it sounds.:thumb:

The need for a wider neck is a prime preference, I do have probs with standard string spacing. Any ideas on that?

Last edited:
Lowden, Larrivee, Martin all make incredible guitars in the £1000 range.

No, they don't :)

Lowden start at double that, to get a decent Martin (not a modern mass produced badged piece of mediocrity) you are looking at anything up to 10 times the budget. Larrivee will fall inside the budget but every one of them I have seen/played has a very slender neck with a profile similar to the Martin low oval. Great guitars but they tend to feel quite 'small'

If a wide profile neck is that important, why not go for a custom build?

£1000 will buy you a fair bit of time with a luthier modifying one of his existing designs

Agree he comments on takamine - nice enough but a bit thin. I have an ovation with the adamas top (multi holes rather than a single sound hole) with the full roundback body - really powerful guitar, even if the 'round on round' fit to the player's body is occasionally a bit tricky:D

I have two custom built Fylde guitars, a six and a twelve string. The company is owned by a pal of mine and based up in Penrith. He makes truly superb instruments. They are pricey but you can sometimes pick up a second hand one for around the £1200 mark. A Fylde Alchemist would be good model to try as they come with a headway pickup as standard if you want to amplify.

www.fyldeguitars.com

Last edited:
Thanks for all this. My mistake to say 'semi-acoustic'. That probably sums up my knowledge. I do mean a full acoustic with built-in electrics.
As for secondhand: I don't trust myself to be honest. :eek:. I do have a true semi, an Ibanez, which I bought s/h and I'm not a happy bunny with that. Neck problems. I can't seem to be able to say "no thanks"
I'm a true learner in the scheme of things. About 2 out of 10 in the skill scale. Why do I want a nice (expensive?) guitar I hear you ask? Well, you don't need to be Schumie to own a Ferrari or to enjoy how it sounds.:thumb:

The need for a wider neck is a prime preference, I do have probs with standard string spacing. Any ideas on that?

Agree he comments on takamine - nice enough but a bit thin. I have an ovation with the adamas top (multi holes rather than a single sound hole) with the full roundback body - really powerful guitar, even if the 'round on round' fit to the player's body is occasionally a bit tricky:D
I know where you're coming from there....these day I have to ...'stretch to strum':eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom