Which adblue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jabrielraja

Car
C class
Just wondering if there are qualified of adblue or if they are all the same?

Can it just be topped up or is there more to it than that?

Thanks in advance.

All Adblue is the same,you can top it up as long as you read the instructions as where and when you fill it up for your car,if you do not do alot of miles best buy a smaller quantity of adblue,it has a shelf life,it does not like high temperatures,it is also corrosive,so be careful.

Hi,

Just make sure that the Adblue you buy meets ISO22241 (it should be marked on the can).

And be very careful not to get any contaminants (dust or dirt) into the system when filling.

It's all 32% urea in water. - Even ISO 22241 refers to it as "AUS 32"; aqueous urea solution, 32%.

"Adblue" is simply a trademark of the German Association of the Automotive Industry.

My wife fills up with Adblue from the pumps. She tells me it's cheaper and you don't need to worry about shelf life or storing any unused volume.
Saying that she does drive a pick-up which is classed as comercial, but I can't see any issue with a domestic passenger vehicle pulling up beside the trucks and using the pump.

I'd rather buy as much as I need rather than worry about shelf life.

Any ideas how much I would need for a 2012 ml 350?

That all depends on how much is left in the tank . . .

On mine, the tankful (20+ litres) does about 27000 km (17000 miles)

I'd rather buy as much as I need rather than worry about shelf life.

Any ideas how much I would need for a 2012 ml 350?
How many miles do you do a year? The shelf life is only around 18 months, regardless of in the container or your tank. A full tank on mine will last 17,000 to 20,000 miles, if you only do 5,000 miles a year, no point filling it up?

How many miles do you do a year? The shelf life is only around 18 months, regardless of in the container or your tank. A full tank on mine will last 17,000 to 20,000 miles, if you only do 5,000 miles a year, no point filling it up?

Where is the Self Life stipulated? I bought 10 Litres to top up my C Class last year, but doesn't have the Shelf Life anywhere on the Container Label:wallbash:

Hmm, just wondering...

Is this one of those items that should be topped up during a service (Regardless of which type of service it is.)

My car was serviced in Dec, roughly 10k miles ago by a respected indy. I did ask them at the time if they topped up the adb but they didn't respond.

The service schedule (for mine, at least) states that the Adblue tank should be drained, the Adblue disposed of and the tank re-filled at each service. But this is considered extra work.

I have only had the tank re-filled once by MB and they didn't bother with the tank-draining malarky. Since then, I've just kept the level betxeen about 1/4 and 3/4 and had no problems. It's really pretty easy to do . . .

The service schedule (for mine, at least) states that the Adblue tank should be drained, the Adblue disposed of and the tank re-filled at each service.

I've seen that before, but only for a "B" service, and the customer has to pay the cost over and above the actual service.

My thoughts on adblue are that the owner of the car needs to find out just how many miles he can do before top up,I borrowed a adblue car last year and the owner said when I get back after doing around 1000 miles it would need to be filled,it seems he knew the car would do about 8000 miles,between adblue top ups,that plus the size of the tank helps with buying the right amount .

Thanks for that, around 6 Litres of AdBlue now need to be disposed of:mad::oops:

I'm really not sure I'd worry that much. This is not salmon paté that's going to kill you if it goes bad!

I strongly suspect that the "shelf life" on products like this (which are very chemically incredibly simple, and therefore not subject to obvious chemical breakdown) are there for the benefit of the industry rather than the consumer. Just bear in mind there's a whole industry out there that wants you to buy more, and therefore is interested in promoting the idea of a shelf-life. If I really wanted to know what the science was, I'd look for proper published papers like this: Degradation of Urea in Concentrated Aqueous Solution - ScienceDirect.

Assuming the fluid is still clear and free of any signs of contamination, crystals, etc, I would have no hesitation in using it my vehicle, if it was me - especially such a small amount.

I'm really not sure I'd worry that much. This is not salmon paté that's going to kill you if it goes bad!

No, but probably more expensive. I'd imagine if the AdBlue has deteriorated over time it will not function as it should, the sensors in the exhaust will pick this up not allow the engine to start.
I watched a program where HGV firms bypass the Adblue system with electronic cheat systems. If you just filled the tank up with water and the engine still ran, you wouldn't need to bypass the system, so I'm assuming the sensors will not like Adblue that's no longer doing it's job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom