Which affordable performance convertible car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
This morning I took the 944 out for an early morning drive around the Cotswolds. 150 miles of lovely scenery with the added benefit of no traffic other than pheasants and rabbits to avoid. :) Apologies, I have no pictures to share.

Problem is though, the car bores me. It has no drama. It's an excellent performer with plenty of usable torque and handles very nicely around the corners but for me it lacks character.

So no sooner have I made the car decent I'm considering selling it, convinced the grass is greener on the other side.

As per the title, I'm after a performance convertible car that will excite me as well as be a credible performance car for occasional track days. Budget <£8k.

My first thoughts are Honda S2000, Porsche Boxster, S1 Lotus Elise, Vauxhall VX220. But my question is, what classic cars are out there that also fit the bill?

Cheers.

z3 or z4 BMW into the mix too ?

Boxster S. The only sensible choice.

I've never let sensible get in the way of a decision before :)

People confuse excellent driving manners, good build quality, and reliable engines with a nice power delivery with a lack of character. Really, it just means the car is good.

Out of that list, the S2000, VX and S1 Lotus would be my choice. I think some Porsches are notorious for lunching engines, and on a budget your money would go further in the these three cars.

What about a nice MX5, cheap, fun and reliable and loved in the track day fraternitiy.

What about a Caterham.

If you want something large but not really track friendly, would you be able to get a BMW E46 330i or M3 vert, or as LTD says, Z4's take your pick.

996/997 tend to munch motors, but the prudent retain Porsche warranty.

I've not heard of Boxsters blowing up, but I agree that there are other choices that will be more value for money at the cost of slightly less driving enjoyment.

Does it 100% have to be a convertible?

I know exactly what you mean about character - when I first bought the CLK55 I felt that although it was a very powerful, quick and capable car, the 190E 2.5-16 that I had just sold provided a much more involving drive, and to be honest on fast A/B roads was equally quick from point-to-point. The car had real soul, and would have adrenaline flowing in a way that the AMG never has done in the ~ 3 years that I have owned it.

Cabriolets/Convertibles are ok, but to be honest - unless you enjoy the few days of nice weather that we get :rolleyes: the benefit of having a topless car is outweighed by the extra complexity/weight, poorer handling/performance etc :dk:

So I guess what I am saying is - also consider some of the excellent driver's cars out there that might come with a fixed roof - they could provide the experience you crave :)

If you buy wisely and don't spend too much unnecessarily, there's nothing to stop you trying out a variety of cars for a few months and see how you get on - a bit of fun if nothing else and you might eventually find what you're after :cool:

Ever thought of a motorbike? :ban:

944S2 / 968 cabrio? Promax chip, and maybe M030 suspension/ARBs/brakes and 17" rims if you want preformance at the expense of some ride comfort - my 968 cabrio is on 16's and standard suspension etc.

I've driven a 2.7 manual Boxster, enjoyed every minute but these days there are just too many around, they're getting so cheap that all sorts are now driving them - noticable you never get a headlight flash or wave from a Boxster driver whereas 944, 924/8 and 911 drivers always acknowledge! Also Boxsters can have an expensive rear main seal problem - search RMS on Porsche forums!

TVR Chimera could be a contender - but the suspension is rock hard, and there's nowhere for your left foot when it's not on the clutch. Test drove one and was really disappointed, performance and soudtrack was wonderful, comfort terrible.

Last edited:
Porsches are relatively common in my neck of the woods, no one ever waves and I barely get a second look from anyone.

I prefer it that way to be honest.

I can't see any of the cars suggested so far being any kind of improvement over a 944

A standard 944 does lack drama. Maybe something like a Triumph TR6 would be the answer? Hairy-chested, quick quick, will slide around with ease but the basic chassis is extremely good

Left-field suggestions: BMW Z3M (breadvan), TVR, Ginetta G33 (utterly terrifying with a V8) or some kind of Locaterfield? Or a Dare G4 if you can find one - very pretty car

Nick Froome

Thanks all - food for thought.

Think I'm looking for a break from classic cars - tired of fighting rusty bolts. I'd also quite like to share this car with my wife, so I feel a more modern car would be better.

A kit car - I did want one a short while ago, but to me their prices are just too high for what you get and I'd use it too infrequently, becoming too much of a garage queen.

Convertible - yes this is towards the top of the options list. Somehow having some wind through the hair brings me closer to the driving thrills. I found that even on overcast days I could take the roof off and enjoy the drive - the best of all were cold winter mornings - honest :)

Motorbike - I have a licence but it's been over 10 years since I rode a bike. Not sure I have the self control that riding a bike requires.

I'm craving another Elise

A kit car - I did want one a short while ago, but to me their prices are just too high for what you get

I agree, I sold my 1999 home built Westfield last year and could not believe someone payed what they did for it when they could have had a decent 2001 Boxster S for the same money. (And I sold it cheap according to the owners club)

I'm craving another Elise

I would normally say, so go get one.

However, you had one, and you sold it? Were the reasons for selling it thrust upon you, or did you find the car irritating and you're looking back through rose tinted spectacles?

There is the VX220 which is gruntier power plant in a car thats very similar. I'd try both and see where you end up. I will be interested?

My MR2 turbo is still making me grin and also sweat on the odd occasion when I get it wrong.. Mildly tuned to 250BHP (1262KG) and sounding like a 1960's Ferrari due to the custom exhaust it can corner at higher speeds than I'm capable of. I just ensure I brake in a straight line and keep a constant if not accelerating speed through the corners..

Cheap as chips also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom