Which affordable performance convertible car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm hoping to go to Blyton too this summer/autumn. Let me know when you're going. :)

At the moment I'm planning to go on 22nd Sep, its run by Mazda on Track, but not sure if its a Mazda only day or not Blyton Park Saturday 22nd September 2012 Full OPL

Great thing about this track is there are no walls or barriers, just gravel and grass, great for beginners. Saying that, I had a couple of experienced friends and they love the circuit with much faster cars than me. Mine is just a standard 1.6 MX5 so far. Although after the last day the first thing I did was change the pads for some Yellowstuff and put 5.1 brake fluid in. My brakes were fading after just 6 or 7 laps, tyres going a couple of laps after that. Debating at the moment whether to get a spare set of rims and some semi slick tyres for the next day.

/edit, it does say at the top of the page for Mazda and non Mazda cars :)

Last edited:
ref. pads and fluids I had a similar setup in my Mk1 1.8 MX5. I stuck with the basic Hankook tyres as they were so cheap (£40-£50 fitted) A really fun car all round. I also had adjustable HSD suspension and Wheels in Motion 'fast road' alignment which was money worth spending. Happy days.

Last edited:
I think you've got me there - they are rather sedate I admit. You call it slow - I call it mechanical sympathy :)

The nice thing about standard cars is that they're difficult to break, even if you are ham-fisted. When you modify something it's always the modified bits that fail first unless they're designed by someone who really knows their onions

That's one reason I find all the EBC brake pad / K&N Filter / 19" wheel / lowered car threads such a waste of time

Nick Froome

Putting the VX up for sale has reminded me of this thread. I thought the car was great, but my wife didn't. Awkward ingress/egress, lack of power steering, firm ride made it too uncompromising for her. I liked the car for almost the same traits.

Time to put the road and track car idea to bed and focus on a standard road car. A MX5 or S2000 are the favoured cars this time. It's going full circle, but enjoyable.

£5-6k. Happy to spend this much on a higher mileage S2000, but would like to spend less if buying a MX5. I've thought of Boxsters, but at this end of the budget I'm not filled with confidence regarding reliability - also I know basic service items are twice the price of the S2000. Z3 don't interest me. Open to other suggestions though. :)

An MX5 any day. The S2000 has to be revved to hell to get any torque, and it would drive you mad day to day.

If you want to live dangerously ____ Alfa Romeo Spider 3.2 V6____ just for the engine. Track days would be out though.

Over budget but not sure if you could get a cheaper one maybe?

Used 2005 05 NISSAN 350 Z 3.5 V6 ROADSTER for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 895383)

Thanks for the link. I hadn't really considered a 350, but it does look fair value for money.

To throw a spanner in the the works my wife wants to seller her A2 and get a diesel convertible. Oh dear. There are too many permutations right now. I've even seen diesel SLK for 'only' £300/month.

The E46 doesn't interest me I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Does it have to be a convertible?

How about an adorable little Alfasud?

or a Golf Gti beater in Q Car guise

or if it has to be, a super little BMW convertible

As you can probably see from my avatar there's only one car for me, I've had my 421hp SLK55AMG for a couple of months and whilst I haven't driven it much I'm already missing the S2000. It's a car full of character, forget the rubbish about torque, I miss the fantastic gearbox and the ability to drive fast (within legal limits) and have real fun revving the engine between 6k and the 9k redline. It's a difficult car to drive quickly the LSD is very unforgiving which is why so many are written off, especially in the wet.

You can use it as a daily driver but its really noisy, single skinned hood, however take the air box lid off and you'll never tire of the induction roar. It is a quick car, Honda quoted 6.1secs to 60, but a couple of mags tested early examples at 5.9secs.

At 120hp per litre for a NA engine, it's still up with the best.

Hope I haven't dropped a bo@ock with the SLK but time will tell.

RR

PS if you buy an S2000 make sure the suspension bushes aren't seized as it will cost £300 a corner to repair, only weak point of an S2000. Suspension geo is a must, and can make all the difference to the cars handling.

RRNA

Toyota Supra convertible? :D

Power - Looks - Rare - budget!!

Latest thoughts are moving away from a S2000 or any other convertible with a canvas roof. The car needs to be an every day car capable and comfortable of doing 15k a year in. The SLK and VW Eos with their folding hard tops look more suitable.

How about this? Mercedes-Benz SLK 320 2DR TIP AUTO SPECIAL EDITION & FULL S/HISTORY 3.2 2004

I can fully understand your wife not wanting the Vauxhall. I hate those extra wide door sills - makes getting in and out a nightmare when the hood's up. The car may be fun to drive, but it's certainly not a day-to-day car.

Despite this shabby weather, I'm still regretting selling my Porsche 944S2 Cabriolet last year. And my wife was upset to see it go too. I've now thrown away the sensible hat that made me do it.

S2000 every time ! The engine is just amazing and you can always have the GT version with its snug hardtop on when weather dictates.
I loved mine and VTEC'd it at every opportunity. Who needs torque ( it had sufficient and I wasnt towing caravans ) when you have all those revs under your foot ?

I am sure I posted this morning but it's gone... BMW made a folding-roof 3-Series from about 2008. With roof up you wouldn't know it was a cabrio. They always seem to make a good job of sporty cars

For a non-depreciating option I'd look at a Z3M "breadvan" Coupe. BMW did a Z3M Cab as well but I suspect it won't hold value quite as well

Nick Froome

I am sure I posted this morning but it's gone... BMW made a folding-roof 3-Series from about 2008. With roof up you wouldn't know it was a cabrio. They always seem to make a good job of sporty cars

For a non-depreciating option I'd look at a Z3M "breadvan" Coupe. BMW did a Z3M Cab as well but I suspect it won't hold value quite as well

Nick Froome

You did, I read it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom