Which alternator belt for W245?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark888

Car
56-plate W245
Evening all,

I have a first-gen B Class (W245) and sadly the alternator (drive) belt came off on Sunday night. Luckily I managed to pull over and get towed home.

I now need to buy a replacement belt. I'm looking on carpartsforless and can see three options:

1. Length = 1300mm (without A/C - without stop/start)
2. Length = 1765mm (with A/C - without stop/start)
3. Length = 1986mm (with A/C - with stop/start)

As my B class is a 56-plate without stop/start, surely I should go for the 1765mm belt? Please can someone confirm that is correct?

My brother (the mechanic) has also said that the pullies are knackered and need replacing. Is there anything else that we need to watch out for when tackling this job? The A/C pump perhaps?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

How much are MB asking for the replacement belt?

First thing your MB dealer will ask for is your VIN NUMBER which coincidentally may also help you get an answer on the forum.

The 'fan' belt for the W245 should be the same as that in the W169. These belts used to cost me circa £30 from an MB dealership. However, fitting the belt on a W169 is extremely difficult due to a lack of space in the engine bay, and has to be done with the car up on ramps from below.

The W245 has a larger engine bay, but I am not sure if it can be fitted from above or if it needs to be up on-ramps as well.

Suggest you get an indie to fit the replacement belt.

Thanks for all the replies. I called Mercedes Central Manchester today and they quoted me £23.10+VAT for the part.

Also, can anyone provide the PDFs from the service software for changing this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom