Which Antivirus do you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I use Avast on one laptop and Avira on the other both free and they do the job

Microsoft Windows Defender here, and daily full disk backups using Macrium Reflect. We have this on all our Windows PC's.

I use Windows Defender/Security Centre on all of my computers. There isn't a need for anything else.

I used to run PC World stores (don't hold it against me!) and the margins on these products are huge. The virus/malware protection isn't really any better than Microsoft's and the other chap they build into the packages just slows everything down.

The one supplied with windows, dont waste your £.

I have recently switched from ESET to Total AV. To be honest at the end of the contract I will switch back to ESET which I had previously used for years with no problems at all. I don't trust Total AV. You run a scan and it comes up with 12 tracking cookies for example, you clear them and then run Superantispyware and you get 47. Superantispyware used to do a good job of clearing cookies and so forth but now is less than useless :rolleyes:

I have recently switched from ESET to Total AV. To be honest at the end of the contract I will switch back to ESET which I had previously used for years with no problems at all. I don't trust Total AV. You run a scan and it comes up with 12 tracking cookies for example, you clear them and then run Superantispyware and you get 47. Superantispyware used to do a good job of clearing cookies and so forth but now is less than useless :rolleyes:
I found Total AV would spam me constantly wanting me to upgrade to the paid version.
Uninstalled it and use Avira Free now.

Avira free does pester you now and again but I don't find it too annoying personally.

Thank you guys & I appreciate your responses, I'll stick with Windows Defender at the moment as it seems to be working well without slowing down the machine. :)

I use Windows Defender/Security Centre on all of my computers. There isn't a need for anything else.

I used to run PC World stores (don't hold it against me!) and the margins on these products are huge. The virus/malware protection isn't really any better than Microsoft's and the other chap they build into the packages just slows everything down.
Thank you for your response, my friend, promise that I won't hold it against you for managing a branch of PC World, someone has to do it :oops:

Thank you guys & I appreciate your responses, I'll stick with Windows Defender at the moment as it seems to be working well without slowing down the machine. :)

Microsoft Defender used to be utter shyte. Maybe it's better now but saying "I have antivirus and it's Windows Defender" certainly was a bit like saying "I have a car alarm and it's a Moss"... if you remember those.

You could quite literally scan with MD and then run Malwarebytes straight after and find loads of nasty ; and not all just tracking cookies either.

For £20 a year I use Kaspersky. From what I’ve read, Windows Defender does have some weaknesses. For <£2 a month I’m happy to pay for something better. Was on Norton for many years (started ~ mid 90s) but found their customer support poor so switched about 5 years ago.

Been using Avast (free one) and never had an issue eversince. But most said that windows defender is enough though but never tried it.

Some things can't be fixed with an anti virus. I wonder how many are aware of the print nightmare vulnerability. It's quite a serious thing that came up in the last week or so. Microsoft issued a patch which didn't fully work so now they have to do another one. If you don't print often or don't keep up to date then an easy temporary solution is turn of the print spooler service and set it to manual start.

services/print spooler/stop and set to manual start.

Microsoft makes second attempt to fix PrintNightmare flaw | IT PRO

Malwarebytes Premium - that's it.

I have used Eset for the best part of 19 year now and swear by it, I use it for myself and clients and when using the business version you can install Eset Protect on a computer/server and it can monitor your endpoints, configure using policies etc. I also run Malwarebytes Premium alongside it but that is because you used to get a lifetime MBAM licence for about £15 from them directly, although it is good software I wouldn't pay an ongoing subscription for both programs.

I hear Bitdefender is also very good.

Been using Avast and it's great. It seems lightweight as it never slows down my pc. I use Malwarebytes too (the free one) and scan my pc at least once every week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom